Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Allergy Meds

I'd like to start Ali back on an antihistamine. I think we've tried most of them and Benadryl's worked the best for us, though it's definitely not a magic bullet.

Sandy's post in Hanks thread about Chlortab got me thinking about trying something new this year again. http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2999

I know antihistamines aren't very reliable in dogs and each one responds differently. But I'd love to hear what's worked best for your dog and the symptoms it treated.

Thanks!
Patty
Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Allergy Meds

Zrytec has been working GREAT for Sydsta!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM

What's her dose Tami for her weight?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 PM

I think I'm going to make a list and keep that around. I'd love to have a simple pill to use for Hank and his allergies. SOMETHING has to work.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
What's her dose Tami for her weight?
Hi Patty - Syd is about 48 pounds, Soaphie about 65. They each get 2 zrytecs in the a.m. We ran out a couple days ago - and it they missed 2 days of allergy meds....last night I noticed Syd had been licking her hip and chewed a spot hairless. Thankfully I had already "restocked" so they were back on the meds....

Works for them - hopefully it works for Ali!!!! Might take a few days to see a difference at the start...
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Thanks Tami.

Ali was rubbing her head into her pillow like crazy tonight. We usually don't get that type of response until Aug-Sept. I gave her 25mg Benadryl tonight just because its what I had on hand. But am looking into using something else this year....maybe the Zyrtec or Chlortab.

Patty
Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks Tami.

Ali was rubbing her head into her pillow like crazy tonight. We usually don't get that type of response until Aug-Sept. I gave her 25mg Benadryl tonight just because its what I had on hand. But am looking into using something else this year....maybe the Zyrtec or Chlortab.

Patty
I alternate between ChlorTabs and Benedryl with Otis.

Walmart Equate Chlortabs are $2.76 / 100. Costco brand of generic benydryl is 4.95 / 600.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 PM

Arrow Re: Allergy Meds

I'll have to look up Zyrtec. My vet gave me a list of three to try (and/or alternate).

1) Cetirizine hydrochloride (brand name Reactine); at a does of 7.5 mg daily - or even twice daily if needed (which, unfortunately, she does).

I've just put her back on that after a long haul with Benadryl - up to 40 mg three times daily - and she's been on a caplet and a half of 25 mg caplets, three times daily - 37.5 mg). The Benadryl, so far, seems to work best for Camellia, whose allergies are environmental; she's missing the normal skin barrier that moisturizes - hydrates - the skin - it's made up of phytosphingosines and other stuff. Without the barrier, the allergies can get in, so she's on DOUXO calming shampoo and spray, with weekly baths, and twice-weekly spraying.

The Reactine doesn't work quite as well as the Benadryl.

2)Chlorpheniramine - known here in Canada as Chlortripolon (brand name), or, Novo-Pheniram, in its generic version. This didn't do much for Camellia at all, with the prescribed dose of 2 mg (half a 4 mg tablet), three times daily. I tried her on it for a few days, and then moved to Benadryl, when it didn't seem to work well at all.

3) The famed Benadryl (diphenhydramine) - I get it in 25 mg caplets, and give a caplet and a half three times daily, as mentioned above.

(I'm writing this off-the-cuff; hope I got all the names right!)

Sun, 6 May 2012 17:36:34 (PDT)
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolW View Post
I'll have to look up Zyrtec. My vet gave me a list of three to try (and/or alternate).

1) Cetirizine hydrochloride (brand name Reactine); at a does of 7.5 mg daily - or even twice daily if needed (which, unfortunately, she does).
Carol,
Zyrtec in the states is Cetirizine HCl 10 mg so must be equivalent to your Reactine.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Arrow Re: Allergy Meds

Quote:
Thanks Bill!

Carol,
Zyrtec in the states is Cetirizine HCl 10 mg so must be equivalent to your Reactine.
Interesting; indeed, that seems right to me! Thanks for the info! A lot of vets appear to like this antihistamine. Mine does.

Love and hugs, with special greetings to Ali!
Sun, 6 May 2012 19:31:20 (PDT)