Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM

Default Dosing fasting dog

I will be fasting my diabetic dog prior to a dental procedure. I was told to withhold breakfast and give 1/2 dose of insulin the morning of the procedure. But, I had the impression that the correct dose while fasting is 1/4 dose of insulin. I'd be grateful for your expert opinion. Thanks in advance.

Dog: George dx 11/2010; 8 units humulin N 2X day. 1/4 cup WD 2 x day. 13.6 lbs Still has clear eyes and good eyesight. Teeth are really in bad shape. Unknown age - maybe 11 years.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Dosing fasting dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkismomjill View Post
I will be fasting my diabetic dog prior to a dental procedure. I was told to withhold breakfast and give 1/2 dose of insulin the morning of the procedure. But, I had the impression that the correct dose while fasting is 1/4 dose of insulin. I'd be grateful for your expert opinion. Thanks in advance.

Dog: George dx 11/2010; 8 units humulin N 2X day. 1/4 cup WD 2 x day. 13.6 lbs Still has clear eyes and good eyesight. Teeth are really in bad shape. Unknown age - maybe 11 years.
I also heard.... no food 1/4 dose, and was told by vet the same.

Barb
Old 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM

We had to fast Decker on two occasions and gave him 1/4 of his normal dose both times. He did well with it. Bg ran a bit more elevated during the evening but would straighten out again by the next day.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:09 PM

I am not one of the resident experts. With that said recently my pup had to have surgery (urethra stones). He told me 4 units (1/2 his dose) no food. It turned out that my dog didn't have food for 36 hours (he didn't want to eat when he came home, too groggy). But, what is different here (unlike your situation) is my dog WAS on 8 units prior to surgery and the new vet dropped him down to 6 without checking anything.

I am telling you this b/c, while it would be very difficult to go against the vet's advice, I will never give my dog insulin prior to a surgery WITHOUT food on board again. We had a very bad hypo incident. Now, I am not saying this was the reason, but it was the only change. He was regulated perfectly for 2.5 years (I think) prior to surgery, so I will never know the trigger.

Yes, there was pain from the stones and changes to food, insulin, stress, etc., but I wanted you to know that I did talk to another vet who said her protocol would be no food OR insulin after midnight day before surgery. Of course I anticipated he would eat that night, get his shot, but since he didn't eat, I didn't give him a shot (thank goodness). He didn't get his dose that night b/c he didn't eat. She said too much could be a potential for a problem, too little (or no insulin) would not likely have not sent him into somogyi which we are still trying to navigate our way out of. I even said: What if it had just been a dental cleaning? She said, regardless of the type of surgery, that would be her protocol.

But, if you do go with the 1/2 dose, I would recommend requesting that they run b/g checks on him while there and prior to coming home (if you aren't home testing). I wasn't home testing at the time and it likely would have saved my sweet man from a very tough hypo event.

Again, I am NOT an expert and I ONLY suspect that is what happened. Again, my vet changed his dose from 8 down to 6 the next day and reduced his food. THIS may have been the cause, but when I read your post I wanted you to know b/c I didn't have a clue that there could be a problem. I would ask if it was necessary to give ANY insulin? Could you just give normal dose for dinner meal after dental procedure?

Next time if Scooter has to have any procedures, I will have the vet run b/g tests while he is there to make sure nothing goes whacky.

Just my personal experience. I wish I had been as careful as you were to come to this site and ask. Good for you!

Last edited by peeweek9; 08-12-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Founding Member

I am not sure there is a right dosage for every situation. I think it depends on the vet and the time of the op and even the antiseptic used.

We have done half insulin no food, quarter insulin no food, early food and insulin as normal and even no food or insulin.

I am sure that vets who treat diabetics are able to monitor the glucose levels and adjust during the procedures.

Jen
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Founding Member

my Jenny got 1/4 of her normal dose before her dental also. My vet was really nervous about the anesthesia and her diabetes so I think she was very conservative.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. Jenny is on such a small dose that 1/4 works. Have you ever had to give George lower doses before? It helps to know how they react.

Jenny felt a ton better after her dental. Good luck to George
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

My vet always does 1/2 food and 1/2 insulin on Maggie. She goes so low. If she went without any food in the morning with added vet stress, she would go hypo on him quick. He has been there with her before. I am sure your vet will monitor your dog pretty carefully and can adjust. Hopefully, you won't have a nightmare experience.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM

i just had zulu's teeth done on the 29th of july.

she ate at 8pm the ngt b/4 and 7 units insulin. i then gave 3.5 units in the morning... the DR watched her levels and she did get down to 66. everything was normal so we just kept an eye on her.

good luck. zulu did great and she has purty teeth now!~
Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 PM

Tiggy had surgery not long ago and I was told to give her 1/2 also . Went with 1/4 dose instead. I'm of the mindset rather run a little high than too low. She did great and actually so were her numbers!

Sandy
Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyL View Post
Tiggy had surgery not long ago and I was told to give her 1/2 also . Went with 1/4 dose instead. I'm of the mindset rather run a little high than too low. She did great and actually so were her numbers!

Sandy
I only wish I had done this, Sandy. Live and learn. They are all different and home testing is the ONLY way to go along with a vet who knows your dog. I, too, am of the mindset better high than too low. Scooter's hypo was a heart breaker and I was scared out of my mind.

Eileen