Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 PM

Default urinalysis vs pricking

I apologize in advance for any stupid questions. My dog was just diagnosed with diabetes last week, so I'm trying to learn as much about the subject as possible.

From what I've read, I have two choices for blood-glucose testing - urine or blood. I'm wondering if urinalysis is highly inaccurate.

With all the needle action my dog will be getting from insulin shots, I'm not sure I have the heart to shove more needles into him for testing. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: urinalysis vs pricking

Quote:
Originally Posted by austtam View Post
I apologize in advance for any stupid questions. My dog was just diagnosed with diabetes last week, so I'm trying to learn as much about the subject as possible.

From what I've read, I have two choices for blood-glucose testing - urine or blood. I'm wondering if urinalysis is highly inaccurate.

With all the needle action my dog will be getting from insulin shots, I'm not sure I have the heart to shove more needles into him for testing. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum,
Most feel urine testing tells very little, in fact it can't tell at all if the blood glucose goes low (possibly a very dangerous condition).

Here is a pretty good link to diabetes, and it mentions urine testing: http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetesdog.htm

Tell us more about your pup! Breed, weight, type of insulin being used, feeding schedule / type of food, any other medications / problems? Any glucose readings from the vet?

Craig
Old 08-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Founding Member

Hi

Urine testing is helpful but not always as easy to interpret. You can get an idea on whether it is high or low but not how high or low.

I know it sounds like more torture pricking for the blood tests but when you find the "sweet" spot that works for your dog it really isn't a big deal for you or them. I used the lip and others will be along soon to tell you about ears, tails and such.

Jen
Old 08-12-2013, 04:38 PM

Every time I have checked my dog's urine since she was diagnosed it has been the same (>2000 mg/dl) which really doesn't help me at all. It shows that glucose is still spilling over into her urine but is not a good indication of her blood glucose. The blood testing is really no big deal. Try it on your finger first. If you can give a shot, the lancet should be fine. I find the easiest place is the inside of the lip. My dog knows the drill now and lays down ready for it :-)
Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by austtam View Post
We do what we can. Most on the forum test twice a day. I frequently test three times; before each meal and once shortly before the expected / estimated lowest time. Of course there are those who test more frequent, and those who may only test from time-to-time. We also have members who depend on urine testing because their pups haven't cooperated

You really do get more info with blood testing. Here's a recent personal example. My pup, Annie, had been getting 8 units of insulin for nearly a year. She had a vet appointment last month and the vet switched one of her eye drops (some pups develop eye problems). Within two days I noticed her blood glucose readings were going way too low and I had to reduce her insulin: TWICE. Without blood testing I probably wouldn't have known she was in danger of going hypoglycemic, which is possibly life threatening.

There are dogs that might not take to blood testing, but most at least put up with it. I had a terrible time testing the first several weeks, and a few times I had to call the wife to do it. Finally, Annie & I got it together and seldom have a problem now. Annie doesn't mind testing, and she seems to know when I want to do it and she just follows me to our testing counter. She gets a tiny, diabetic friendly treat (frozen green bean, straight from the freezer) along with a lot of praise after each test. We've been at this for just over five years.

Here is a link to the AlphaTrak (dog meter). They are trying to sell their meter, but the general info & videos are pretty good: http://www.alphatrakmeter.com/alphat...sy-to-use.html

Craig
Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM

It isn't that the urine test is 'highly inaccurate', it just doesn't tell the entire story. While the ketosis strips do give you an idea whether sugar is spilling into the urine, this test cannot tell you his insulin needs.

When Scooter was first diagnosed, we went to the vet for three days in a row and they administered sub q fluids (he looked like he was carrying two pouches under his skin) and this flushed his system of the excessive ketones. This is just phase one. Once regulated, then there will be no ketones present.

I've seen here where people use this as a means of testing as a sort of double check if they can't (or don't) home test. I wouldn't rely on this method alone. I read an article recently (sorry I can't find it) where it said something about the test for ketones, while not inappropriate, will be ever changing as the cells die off and can give varying readings. I will try to find the article.

But, to answer your question it is just another check especially if you see your dog acting strange or otherwise exhibiting clinical contraindications of diabetes, it would be good to use the ketone test, but also to follow that up (if it turns purple, I think that is the color) with your vet if you aren't home testing.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 PM

Hi! I am relatively new here also ~ June. I use urine strips when my dog's blood glucose numbers are high. Since his numbers have come down I don't tend to test the urine because it won't tell me anything.

I too was worried about poking and prodding my dog Teddy too much. But I found he has become a real trouper and just stands there and lets me do what I need to do. I never could get up the nerve to try the lip though - I test just at the base of his tail on his back. His tail is a stump so I pretty much prick right on that stump. I shave a small area so the blood doesn't get soaked up by too much hair. After a few fumbled attempts it worked just fine and has given me much more confidence in managing his diabetes. The more you try it the easier and quicker it becomes - less stressful for the dog too.

Good luck,
Margaret
Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 PM

I started with urine strips....didn't know at the time that blood testing was an option. It really didn't give me the info I needed. Looking back....it was a waste of time and I think I could have gotten Elliot regulated faster had I been testing his blood instead.

I test on the outside of his lip. He couldn't care less....in fact, when he hears me getting the lancet ready he just walks over and stands by me. There are plenty of Youtube videos showing examples of how to get a blood sample. It was a bit intimidating at first, but I got over it quickly and Elliot never broke a sweat

There are other things to think about before starting to test at home i.e type of meter and cost of testing strips. There's lot of info on this forum....ask TONS of questions...someone will come along that has had a similar experience and can help you through.

Best of luck!!!!
Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 PM

Welcome Austtam

So glad you found our forum.

As others have said urine testing is not that accurate.

As you read other posts you, ll see home testing has great results.

We can walk you through this, in no time you, ll get the feel of it.

Again welcome

Mo
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM

I just wanted to add my Welcome!! Believe me, no question is stupid...especially when it comes to our pups!

What a cute little guy you have there! Tell us more about him!
Mel