Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 AM

Default CoCo passed away Thursday

This is JoAnne, CoCo is my mini dachshund with Cushings and hypothyroidism and now diabetes. He had a Convenia injection yesterday and evidently he is not allergic to it.

He had his first shot of Vetinsulin yesterday and I have seen where it was recalled and not put back on the market until 4/13. I hope it is okay. CoCo does not seem to be allergic to it.

I would like any info anyone has. I am concerned about the food, he is on Hill's ID since he has stomach problems and I suspect it is a low glycemic food since it seems to be mostly water. CoCo is so thin and I suspected he had diabetes, so asked the vet to do a diabetes check since he had the blood doing a full thyroid panel. I am not sure how to post here without posting on someone's post.

Again, thanks so much, JoAnne

Last edited by k9diabetes; 09-10-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Natalie copied this from the Everything Else section
Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default Re: CoCo - Cushings, Hypothyroid, and now Diabetes

Hi JoAnne! Welcome to K9D. I created a thread for you with a copy of your post on Convenia.

Natalie
Old 09-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Risks associated with Convenia - long acting antibiotic

Hi Joanne! Welcome! Wow, Coco and you have really been through it, huh? Our boy Vinny is on Vetsulin, he was put on it just this past June. I was also worried about it's history, and I did a lot of research about it, till I made myself feel ok about it. He hasn't had any problems on it, so unless something comes up, we'll be sticking with it.

You seem to have caught the diabetes really early with Coco! Usually the first inclination most of us have is excessive drinking, then accidents indoors. That's what tipped us off about Vinny. He has lost a bit of weight, but he has some to lose, I'm betting a mini dachshund doesn't have much extra!

You will probably hear this from others, but I think the biggest thing we've had to do is become very consistent with Vinny. Same food, same times and same insulin every day. Vinny has a brother, so we had to train them both to eat when we put the food down, no more grazing. I get up at 6 am every morning...even weekends. And the insulin has varied, but only in regards to getting him regulated.

Tell us more about Coco...age, weight, exercise, food and insulin (how much and when), etc. The more we know, the more we can offer help! And if you have specific questions, fire away! This place is great! It has been a sanity saver for me!!
Good luck!
Mel
Old 09-10-2013, 04:21 PM

Smile Re: CoCo - Cushings, Hypothyroid, and now Diabetes

Hey Mel and Natalie: CoCo is 12 years old and weighs almost 11 pounds. He has lost weight, weighed 14 pounds when he was diagnosed with Cushings in 2011, but has continued to lose weight, especially in the last few months. He was on Vetoryl until about 25 days ago when he had a hormone level and his hormones were increased so we took him off his Vetoryl and Soloxine for hypothyroidism. I took him yesterday for a full thyroid panel to see if he needed to go back on the thyroid medicine and asked the vet to do a diabetes check on him and his glucose was almost 500 so the vet started him on 2 units of Vetinsulin. 4 injections already and he seems ok.
I was so surprised and shell shocked that I just did not question him too much. 3 months ago CoCo's glucose was 131 so I don't understand how it could have gone up so much and am wondering if taking him off his medicine caused it. The Vetoryl for the Cushings did upset his hormones so that is why we took him off. He is supposed to be off the Vetoryl 30 days and start on Lysodren, but now since he has the diabetes I am at a loss what to do about his Cushings. They seem to have similar symptoms, except he has lost a lot of his hair and that is Cushings or thyroid problems, who knows. He has had a lot of problems with diarrhea for about 4 months, so had to change him to Hill's Prescription ID which probably caused him to lose more weight, so I am really wanting to start him on something else before he has the glucose curve in 2 weeks. Sorry for the long post. I have been on the Cushings forum for 2 years maybe and love all the info I have found there and I know it is the same here. Love, JoAnne
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Founding Member

Hi JoAnne: I am on both forums too but don't post much on the cushings forum these days.

Lysodren did work for diabetic Jenny. Her insulin needs went from 7 units of NPH to 3 units of NPH once her cortisol was down.

BUT, she had a great ACTH in December 2011 and then in January her insulin needs went to 1 unit. We overdosed her with the lysodren and the lower insulin needs should have been my big fat clue.

Jenny is fine, slowly building her cortisol but you may want to seriously consider testing CoCo's blood sugar at home. It is invaluable with all of the issues you are dealing with.

hang in there. Judi
Old 09-11-2013, 05:47 AM

JoAnne,

I really have no knowledge of Cushings. I did have a dog with hypothyroidism that had to lose his entire undercoat before we figured out that something was wrong! He was on med's for that and did well, but he didn't have any other issues.

Vinny only has diabetes (I'm hoping I haven't just jinxed myself here ) so that's all I have to deal with. I can't imagine having three different illnesses to deal with!

Someone with more knowledge than me can give you some questions to ask your vet so that you are comfortable with the diagnosis. I'll tell you that Vinny's diabetes came on very sudden for us. One day he wasn't having any problems, the next he was it seemed.

One last thing, I would echo Judi's comment about home testing...I would definitely consider it with all you have going on with Coco!
Mel
Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 AM

CoCo is doing very well today. Does not seem to be begging as much, but the day is young. I am still feeding him the Hill's ID and a few Wilderness kibbles. His stools have been ok, did have a soft stool this morning, guess it is the kibble, really hard to change him to another food since he has such a sensitive stomach, but I know diabetics need fiber, protein and fat to satisfy them, just hard to transition to something else and I am sure the ID has not helped his weight loss. Hope all furbabies are fine today. Love, JoAnne
Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 AM

JoAnne,

I am a member of both Cushings and K9 as well, but do not post on the Cushings. My Abby, I believe, was misdiagnosed for Cushings, at the same time being Diabetic.

I think most folks are shell shocked with the diagnoses of diabetes, and it does come on suddenly. From what I have read, Cushings can lead to diabetes.... and vice a versa, as we do see some dogs with both. But I think it is a good thing, to take one thing at a time. Both Cushings and diabetes have so many similar symptoms, one being hungry when unregulated, that it is hard to determine if they have Diabetes and Cushings or just Diabetes, or if Cushings caused the Diabetes.... ugh, can make your head spin.

I think the best advice has been given already, and that to home test. Especially with three or more issues going on, and with cortisol affecting blood sugar, it would be a great cost effective, and life saving tool.

Do you think CoCo would be up for it? I do know that at one time, I thought.... there is no way this pup is going to allow me to poke her.... but you know what.... she comes running every time, when I ask if she would like a test. They do surprise you.

Barb
Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 AM

If CoCo is eating the food you are giving him, it may be worth just exploring the idea of increasing the food to keep the weight on him.

I agree with the others - having several things going on at once, with a lot of overlap in symptoms, is a tricky situation.

We struggled to regulate Decker's diabetes. Found out eight months down the road he was hypothyroid. When we were looking at possible reasons for his struggle I really suspected cushings based on symptoms I'd read. He had a pot belly, pointed head, rear leg weakness and inhaled his food. When he was shaved down his fur didn't grow back. He was also over weight.

But we started with the UCCR and it ruled out cushings for him. I''m glad we started there. I wonder if we'd started with other cushings testing if he would have tested positive, simply because he was so stressed from the low thyroid. He was a nervous and reactive dog because of it. He also turned out to have a low T4 value, which can be indicative of hypothyroidism, but can also be present in a diabetic dog or a dog with other health issues. So we had a full thyroid panel run and it was confirmed. All of his T3 & T4 values were quite low and his TsH was quite high.

Once I started doing searches for specific hypothyroid symptoms, it all made a lot of sense. He was a dog whose behavior was impacted by low thyroid. We knew he'd go a bit crazy at times but had no idea there was a medical cause behind that behavior. He didn't suffer from repeated infections until about a month before he was diagnosed. Prior to being shaved, his coat was full and thick. We did note that he loved to lay directly in the sun but didn't initially connect that to cold intolerance as he never saw him shivering or acting uncomfortable in cold weather.

Once we started treating his low thyroid we immediately started to gain control over his bg. His insulin needs actually dropped from 10u of levemir to 6u in the first five days, then dropped back to 5u after a couple of more weeks. He remained a nervous dog but that reactive behavior went away.

Hoping you are able to sort though all your pup has going on. Folks here are great and will lend lots of support in the process.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 AM

Hey All: I guess I post on my own thread. I am kind of confused this morning I have read so much. Do you use the same glucometer for dogs that you use for humans and how many times do you test a dog. CoCo is so thin. He takes medication for vasculitis. His ears would bleed before he started the medicine, now all the hair is off his ears and they are slick. I guess he has to be tested several times on the day that he has the glucose curve. The vet did not talk too much to me about diabetes because he knew I had worked for human doctors for many years and I guess he figured I knew all about hypoglycemia and everything else, but I am at a loss when it comes to diabetes in my dog. I think I should have asked him more questions, but was in shock when he came in and told me since CoCo has had so many problems already and diabetes cannot be treated with a pill. I feel just lost today. Hoping I don't have to stick the little dog several times a day. Need to know where and what and when to do the testing. I will appreciate any info I can get. Love, JoAnne