Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: New here and overwhelmed

that question comes up a bit and i have thought about it if an emergency came up

the problem you are storing it in a plastic syringe so it may stick to the walls of the plastic over time you still will have to mix it as you would in a vial of insulin so its possible that may not work as well in that environment.

i have never tried so i dont know for sure , maybe you can try it while your home and see how it goes
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM

I have no direct experience of doing this so I'm not sure. My own feeling would be that I'd probably be comfortable leaving one pre-filled syringe eg for later that day but not a whole lot of them to cover several days, but I may be being overly cautious.

Might it be possible instead to use a very fine pen and mark on each syringe the exact level for the dose so as to reduce the scope for misreading the numbers? or even scratch it with a sharp implement if a pen line would be too thick?

Antonia
Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 AM

I too had the same thoughts. I do not pre fill the syringe. However I give detailed instructions... How many times to roll the bottle, warm insulin, bevel side up, appropriate place to administer, as well as the amount, but also leave a sample syringe, of where the plunger is when insulin is drawn, with no bubbles.

Perhaps I am too ODC.?

Barb
Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
I too had the same thoughts. I do not pre fill the syringe. However I give detailed instructions... How many times to roll the bottle, warm insulin, bevel side up, appropriate place to administer, as well as the amount, but also leave a sample syringe, of where the plunger is when insulin is drawn, with no bubbles.

Perhaps I am too ODC.?

Barb
Maybe...a tad, Barb!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 AM

I guess I tend to be a bit more laid back, but you have to understand, I have a 94 lb lab! He doesn't seem to care how I stick him or where. He doesn't even care if it's warmed up or not. As long as I don't do it while he's eating, he's fine. We have that understood between us!

I don't think one prefilled syringe for later would worry me. I'd just make sure it was refrigerated.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsters Momma View Post
I guess I tend to be a bit more laid back, but you have to understand, I have a 94 lb lab! He doesn't seem to care how I stick him or where. He doesn't even care if it's warmed up or not. As long as I don't do it while he's eating, he's fine. We have that understood between us!

I don't think one prefilled syringe for later would worry me. I'd just make sure it was refrigerated.
And I have a terrier.... They get a little antsy, perhaps because they are spoiled...

Barb
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Exclamation Re: New here and overwhelmed

Oh, nobody told me about the beveled side? I really got no instructions from my vet. The only thing he told me over the phone was that it was easy, and my printed instructions just said to give the injection on either side of the chest just under the skin. No real help from the pharmacist either. They did tell me to roll the bottle though. Is there a certain way to deliver the shot?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliteri View Post
Oh, nobody told me about the beveled side? I really got no instructions from my vet. The only thing he told me over the phone was that it was easy, and my printed instructions just said to give the injection on either side of the chest just under the skin. No real help from the pharmacist either. They did tell me to roll the bottle though. Is there a certain way to deliver the shot?

Thanks!
Warming up the insulin helps, because cold insulin hurts. Bevel side up, because it slips in easier. The place that I give Abby's shot is in the flank, and doing all of these things, she doesn't even seem to mind. I do tent the skin a bit, and then push of the flat side of the needle, and it just slips in.

If I forgot anything, and perhaps someone else has some other ideas... they respond.

Barb
Old 09-04-2013, 02:29 PM

I think that's about all the instructions we got.

Our vet did say that it didn't really matter where we injected, so long as we got it into him somewhere. We do use his flank (alternating sides morning and evening) just because it is easiest to tent the skin there.

So long as we do it while he eats, Eddie barely notices that we are injecting him. He occasionally pauses mid-chew but that's about all the reaction we get from him.

Antonia
Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM

Is there a beveled side on the needle? My needles are so small i'd need a super magnifier to see if it was beveled. Seriously they are the size of a fine hair. I guess it's been ok because he doesn't even flinch