Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Sable's road to regulation!

Quick question- Humulin N (NPH) and Relion N (NPH) are the same correct? Just that the Relion is the Walmart brand and cheaper....

Tell me if I'm wrong because I was pushing the vet into the Relion brand but if i'm wrong I'll be sure to tell her......
Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Humulin N and Novolin N are the same type of insulin made by different manufacturers.

ReliOn is Novolin N marketed by Wal-Mart.

Some people notice a slight difference in switching from Humulin N to Novolin N, others no difference at all from what I've read on the boards.

Patty
Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Humulin N and Novolin N are the same type of insulin made by different manufacturers.

ReliOn is Novolin N marketed by Wal-Mart.

Some people notice a slight difference in switching from Humulin N to Novolin N, others no difference at all from what I've read on the boards.

Patty
Thank you, I'll try the cheaper and if it doesn't work as well I'll switch back. It would be nice if the cheaper works as good or better but... if not I'll use whatever works best for Sable.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Novolin N and Relion N are exactly the same product - Novolin N - only the packaging is different.

We also have never seen any significant difference over the years with people switching between Humulin and Novolin. We switched Chris from Humulin R to Relion R and there was no difference in action.

The only differences we have seen are that one pharmacy might handle insulin more carefully than another, which affects all of their insulin products. So a particular pharmacy might be sloppy and leave it sitting out where it gets warm, that kind of thing. In that case, you see bad bottles of insulin regardless of brand.

I haven't bought insulin in a long time but back when we switched from Humulin R to Relion R, the difference was about $15-18 per bottle. I think the Humulin was around $35 when we switched and Relion was $20.

We don't buy a lot at Wal-mart but I have been buying all of our pet prescription meds there for a few years because of two pets on very expensive medications. Our cat's Leukeran, for example, is something like $30 cheaper per month, $58 instead of $88.

Natalie
Old 11-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Sable turns 8 today! Happy Birthday!! :)

Happy Birthday Sable!!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:01 PM

Just an update and a question-

I was reading the thread about the webinar for the Vetsulin today and it says that 80-300 is considered regulated with an average of 250. What do you think is regulated or is this really the definition (i'm more curious as anything here as we all try to get our dogs as regulated as possible of course without going too low)?

Second, Sable's numbers have been very good on the NPH. Her 7, 14, and 30 day averages are all coming down (her 7 day average was at 200 tonight on my meter). Very rarely do I see a 300 number anymore (when I do it usually only goes as high as in the 320's, only 2x since the NPH switch has it been high than that but no 400's even since the switch). I do notice though that during the day during the week (and I'm getting to the point where I don't have to check her as I almost could tell you her number range at any given point) when I get home from work she will usually be anywhere from 270-300 (during the weekend because of a little excercise, even running in and out a couple of times I do not see this).
The really odd part of this, in the morning before work she can be 150 for example, 170 at lunch and then 280 about 3-3.5 hours later. I think it's because when I come home at lunch to let her out she has been sleeping, the rest of the day I think she is worrying about me coming home or something (not really sure). Then I take her for a walk around a couple of blocks or so, that way she can get moving and go to the bathroom and she'll be back around 170 (around) then by her next shot for example.

Not sure if there is anything I can do about that or not but I'm very very happy with her overall numbers and wanted to let you know, thanks for all the help and I will keep coming back .

Last edited by ravenecw; 11-24-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM

My understanding is that there are minor molecular differences between Humulin and Novolin. These differences MIGHT be sufficient to cause changes in a dog if you switch from one to the other. So if somebody does make a switch, I'd keep an eye on things; do your BG testing, and watch clinical signs, or any signs of allergy to the new insulin.

Time to fix Kumbi's insulin shot! (He was started on Novolin NPH and we've never changed from that.)

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:49:39 (PST)

Last edited by CarolW; 11-24-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: fix types - Kumbi? wait; haha! not for long, though
Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolW View Post
My understanding is that there are minor molecular differences between Humulin and Novolin. These differences MIGHT be sufficient to cause changes in a dog if you switch from one to the other. So if somebody does make a switch, I'd keep an eye on things; do your BG testing, and watch clinical signs, or any signs of allergy to the new insulin.

Time to fix Kumbi's insulin shot! (He was started on Novolin NPH and we've never changed from that.)

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:49:39 (PST)
I will do that, if the Novolin (Relion) does anything diffferent I won't hesitate to go back to the Humulin and I will watch closely and do my testing...

Hopefully there will be no difference

Kumbi Kumbi Kumbi.... that is fun to say very cool name
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator

We switched between Novolin and Humulin R and there was no difference at all. That's been the experience I've seen with many others over the years as well. For a while we were going back and forth between them to see how they compared before switching permanently to the Novolin.

One difference you might find, though, is that different pharmacies do a better or worse job of caring for the insulin.

I thought Nelson's definition of regulation wasn't bad as a general rule, something that a lot of dogs could achieve.

The ideal I like to aim for is all between 100 and 180 but that's rarely actually attainable. Definitely keeping everything under 250 if possible would be pretty good.

I defined regulation in the pages for this site as the best blood sugar your dog can safely achieve. And that varies a lot from dog to dog.

If I hadn't been working from home, allowing us to give Chris four shots of Regular insulin a day, we would have had to accept much poorer regulation for him, so even home circumstances can play a part in what's possible.

I am thrilled at Sable's response to the NPH! That's so cool!! You will have to show the vet what NPH can do.

Natalie
Old 11-27-2009, 11:03 AM

Quick question and maybe I'll find it in the meantime but for some reason I am having trouble finding it....

Can someone tell me where to find the chart/graphic showing how different insulins are supposed to work? I know I seen it on the forums somewhere but can't find it right now and I've been looking off and on all morning.... thanks.