Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

Thinking of you and Spirit Jim and hoping for a good result from your vet

It could be an inner ear infection maybe it didn't all clear up that and need for more insulin.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:38 AM

Thinking of you guys!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:39 AM

I hope spirit had a restful night, Jim (and you too).

When Kinser had his vestibular bout - we took several videos which I did post on here: http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6690

Something Patty taught me, if you are seeing something odd on occasion, grab your cell phone and take video. That way you can show the vet even if your dog is not exhibiting that odd behavior at the vet.

Continued prayers for Spirit and your family.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 06-09-2016, 06:36 AM

Default Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today.....

I can't help but feel blessed today.....Even though the last 4 years where challenging for us, we are thankful for this site and all our web friends who held my hand and guided me on this journey. I laid with Spirit all night and knew something wasn't right...his breathing was labored and when he tried to get up or move he fell over so I held him in my arms and we talked about all the places we've been and all the walks we took together in the park.... he let me know it was time for him to move on.

It wasn't the diabetes that got him it was some sort of tumor on his brain causing small seizures and rendering him unable to walk. So I picked up my big boy, my best friend, and carried him to the car for our last ride together. The vet said that all we could do would be to make him comfortable for a few more weeks but that would have been for me and not the best for him. We laid together in the back of my jeep as the vet gave him his last shot and I rocked him as he gently went to sleep.

Run free my friend, no more pokes and needles for you, just a bridge to cross to a place you can run free and have fun.
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today.....

I feel like we were all blessed to know Spirit and you guys from your posts. He did have a wonderful life with his travels and dog friends in different states. I always thought you were able to manage his blood sugar better than most of the people I know of. I am so very sorry for your loss but glad you got to spend that last night with him.

RIP Spirit. Your internet friends loved you too.

Judi
Old 06-09-2016, 08:37 AM

I'm so very sorry and my heart hurts to read that Spirit had to take that last trip over the bridge. It really gets to me when I read where someone has lost their beloved baby, and knowing just how much they loved and cared for them. Just breaks my heart.

RIP Spirit, run free big boy....run free
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 06-09-2016, 09:06 AM

I can hardly breathe...

Oh Jim. This was just way too sudden. My heart is broken for you and your family. You and your wife just did SUCH an amazing job with our world traveler, Spirit. What a great partnership you all had.

Tear are flowing.

I'm so very, very sorry.
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:10 AM

Blessed you are Jim!

I just defected back on your very early Nov 2011 post update. It was so informative and helpful to all of us. We all know how well you took care of your Spirit and the enjoyment he gave you and your family throughout his journeys.

Will miss you Spirit our snowbird.

Rest in peace, know you are loved, run, play you big Neuf.

Thankyou Jim I love you

mo
Old 06-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Founding Member

Jim you did amazing job with spirit using exercise to maintain blood sugar levels .honestly I di not think that was possible because the difficulty of maintaining consistency . You were able to accomplish it and did it beautifully .

Jesse has lived a lifetime of neurological issues . I kind of blame a chemical dip for mights as a pup but who knows for sure .

I am glad spirit did not have to suffer by giving the selfish act of compassion from you .

He had a wonderful dogs life with you and your wife full of adventuress
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 06-09-2016, 09:34 AM

Thank you all so much....today there is a huge void in my heart, I never wanted to let go of him in the back of the jeep. As the injection was administered he never lost eye contact with me and as his head became heavy in my arms a small piece of my heart broke. I'm going to miss all of our "sugar baby" routines even getting up each day at 5:30 a.m. Hugs to all of you and please take a moment to give each of your fur babies a rub for me....
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.