Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Kwiggles' Joe is starting lysodren

Hi Karen,
Finger and paws crossed here too. Hope all goes well for Joe tomorrow.
John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM

I'll join in with the crossed fingers!!

MJ
Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 AM

Thanks everybody for your good wishes & crossed fingers (& paws) for Joe- He is at the vet's right now for his stim test.

There's been something else going on which I hope is just something minor-I mentioned in a previous post that he was very restless on Saturday night- same behavior continued Sunday night and last night it got much worse.

He was up and down all night, couldn't seem to get comfortable, not resting for more than a minute or two before getting up again, digging at the blankets and the mattress and all the while whimpering, moaning, sighing and even growling a little at one point.

Now, Joe has always been a rather vocal guy (he hardly ever barks but does make every other sound under the sun) but this was totally out of the ordinary. He often snuffles, grunts and sighs while he's getting settled in and while he's sleeping but nothing like this.

Needless to say, neither one of us got any sleep. I finally got up around 3 AM and took him out and walked around a little. He didn't seem to actually be in pain, wasn't limping or anything, just extremely restless and agitated. I even gave him a little canned food and he ate it right up. I finally just made a pot of coffee and stayed up with him the rest of the night. (the coffee was for me, by the way ).

I told all this to the vet this morning and he thought it might be a sign that Joe is slightly overloaded. He reminded me (as many here have also said) that the Lysodren continues to act in the body for 48 hours after the last dose is given, so he might still be on the downward curve of loading. (the 48 hour mark was this morning, so hopefully it is clearing out of his system now).

The vet is going to do a complete blood chemistry in addition to the stim test to make sure its not some new problem. He also said maybe he will try giving Joe a very small amount of prednisone and see if he improves. And we'll know the results tomorrow of the stim test and can take it from there.

Well, Joe is in good hands and I'm hoping this is just a bump in the road. Hoping the pred (or something) will make him more comfortable and we can both get a good night's sleep tonight.

Time to go make some more coffee.....
Old 04-21-2009, 05:47 PM

What's the news on Joe???? We are hoping for the best!

MJ
Old 04-21-2009, 07:02 PM

Hi Karen,

Just checking in on Joe. Hope all went well with Joe's vet visit and tests today and that both of you can get a good night's sleep tonight.

Awaiting your update.

Louise
Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Hello All, Just checking in for Wednesday- When I went to pick Joe up at the vet's yesterday after his stim test, he looked much happier and perkier than he had when I dropped him off. The vet had given him 5 mg Pred and suggested i give him a half pill (2.5 mg) last night and same again this morning.

I think it did the trick as he slept much more soundly last night (a little restless but not too bad) and we both got caught up on our sleep

I asked the vet if this means that Joe was on the Lysodren too long and he said not necessarily but it does seem to indicate the Lysodren did its job. And that if he were to have had a really bad (life-threatening) response to being overloaded, we would have seen it by now. The residual Lysodren should be pretty much cleared out of his system by now and if his Cortisol does come back too low it can be managed by Pred until it comes back up. Whew.

Just waiting now for test results- some time this afternoon I think.

Thanks again everybody for your concern & support- I'll let you know when I get the numbers. Hope my boy aced his tests
Old 04-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Hi Karen,

Good to hear that Joe is feeling much better today and that ya'll got a better nite's rest! Pred can be such a wonder drug!

Hoping for great numbers today!
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls
Old 04-22-2009, 04:27 PM

Are you getting butt wiggles???? I surely hope so. Glad to hear the good news so far!!!

MJ
Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi Karen,
Very happy that Joe is feeling better. Looks like you are doing a really good job. Looking forward to some good grades on his test.

John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 AM

Hi Karen,

I, too, hope Joe aced his test! Looking forward to your post with his results.

Louise

P.S. Hope you and Joe are getting some serious zzzzzzzzz's right now (which I need to do myself!!)