2011 AAHA Vaccination Guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 AAHA Vaccination Guidelines

I haven't had a chance to review this yet.

https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocume...Guidelines.pdf

Thanks to Leslie at K9C for the link.

Natalie

Re: 2011 AAHA Vaccination Guidelines

Read a lot of this...went numb about half way thru. Not sure what to make of some of it. I'm nervous about giving Hank his vaccinations. He's due for his lyme this month...and I don't know what to do. Lyme is SO bad in this area that I'd almost rather take the chance with the vaccine than take the chance with the disease. Any thoughts?
    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

My vet did not want to vaccinate forbin which really surprised me because he is a vaccine freak!
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I haven't talked to my vet directly about it other than to mention in passing about the rabies vaccine and my concern but his staff is very much for it. I'll wait and see what he says. Makes me nervous tho.
        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Glad there is some information on canine vaccinations. Wish I had considered it sooner. Decker's vet visit was scheduled because he was due for some vaccinations. The potty accidents started the day after I scheduled the appointment. His vaccinations and diagnosis were the same day.

Back in Nov. 2008, when Rebecca was four, she was given the flu vaccination at the recommendation of her peditrician. In March 2009 she got the flu and ran high temps for a week straight. In early May 2009 she went for her five year shots. The next morning she woke up unable to walk. Crawled into our room crying. Took her to the peditricians (John carried her everywhere) and they sent us to Upstate Pediatric ER. It was a horrible day. They shot her up with morphine in hopes of getting her to move her leg for x-rays. Still could not get her to move her leg. Left with a diagnosis of 'transient synovitis' and a recommendation to follow up with an MRI to rule out anything else. Got home and gave her some Ibuprofen. She woke up the next morning able to walk - like nothing ever happened. Follow up MRI showed nothing of concern. Now every time she runs a fever she has joint pain. She no longer gets the flu vaccination. Peditrician swears the 'transient synovitis' was not related to the five year vaccinations. There is no doubt in my mind the two were related!
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I just heard about this yesterday, my dogs still get yearly vaccinations... Until now that is... Talk about being behind times I just thought I would bump it up
            Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

I think it is a good idea to have them titered. This will indicate whether they should have the booster or not.

I too, took Abby faithfully to the Vet each year for her annual shots/checkup. This year, I insisted onn the titer, and I am glad that I did, because she didn't need any shots.

Next year she will get the rabies shot, which lasts 3 years. Unfortunately, where I live it is a state law, and one that can not be titered.
              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

my vet let me skip all vaccines for Jenny last year but then this year I found out it is against the law to cross state lines without a valid rabies vaccination.

(we cross state lines every time we go to see her diabetes/cushings vet - whoops)

Jenny got it and didn't have any ill effects.
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I was to the point where I would not vaccinate Ali any more. We pulled titers and had the vet write a letter of exemption due to her "chronic endocrine disorder" for rabies.

We didn't board her anymore either so this worked for us. Now if your dog bites someone, there's nothing to stop the authorities from quarantining your dog but the letter works in most situations.
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

There have been some recent discussion about Vaccinations, and wanted to not only bump this up.... but to also share Dr. Becker/Dr. Dodd's point of view as well.

I follow Dr. Becker, and have the utmost respect for Dr. Dodd's..

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...paign=20130313

Comment

interesting article barb

so many things to take into account

it comes down to the individual dog what maybe appropriate and the area you live in
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Jesse Girl,

And also state laws. I am not able to titer for Rabies in North Carolina... They will euthanize dogs that are not up to date on rabies... quite strict here in NC.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                          Jesse Girl,

And also state laws. I am not able to titer for Rabies in North Carolina... They will euthanize dogs that are not up to date on rabies... quite strict here in NC.

Barb
                          wow that is strict

i do like how they talk about nutrition and genes
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Interesting article... Do any of you know what the cost difference (in general, I'm sure it will vary by area) is between getting a vaccination done and doing a titer instead?

Our dogs are only due for Distemper/Parvo this year, and I'm thinking it may be better to titer them to see if they really need it, instead of just assuming this time.
                            Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

I can look up the cost from last time we titer for this.
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                              X