Barney - 8yo Jack Russell Terrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barney - 8yo Jack Russell Terrier

Kelley, melatonin will suppress the production of cortisol to a certain extent, just not as much as lysodren or trilostane. So if Barney is indeed normal, then I can understand the reluctance to even use melatonin. I think a consult with Dr. O & his colleagues at UTK is an excellent idea. Dr. O is more than willing to consult with attending vets or correspond with owners concerning their questions. A number of us in this group have actually e-mailed him with questions & concerns regarding our pup's treatments. He responds very promptly, & is an absolute angel when it comes to offering his help & advice.

Is their any possibility you can get a copy of those LDDS results & post the numbers for us?

Debbie

Comment

Hi Kelley,

If you go ahead with the FSO - you might want to just get the lignans. Many FSO's don't have much of the lignans (if at all). Please read the treatment option sheet (same one that I PM'd you earlier):

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/en...hing's.pdf

Most of us use the Flaxseed Lignans from Vitacost and some are trying out the Flaxhulls listed on the sheet.

I see that Lysodren was also listed as options (both maintenance or regular) on your UTK comments. Do you and/or your vet have reservations on trying Lysodren?

-Susy

Comment

Hi Debbie-I'll get the results when I get back home tomorrow; I'm out of town. I'll post them when I get them. Maybe I'll email Dr. O myself and see what he says! Would that be stepping on my vets toes at all?

Hi Susy-The reason the vets have reservations about the Lysodren (as well as all the other treatments) is becuase they aren't comfortable with his diagnosis of Cushing's yet. I'll be sure to use the ligans, thanks again for the info you sent me.

Comment

Hi Kelley,

When Harley was diagnosed with atypical cushings, my vet never dealt with such a case, she was very happy that I was consulting with Dr. Oliver via e-mail, even asked me to forward the e-mails to her. My vet has even called Dr. Oliver herself and consulted him about Harley.

IMO, If consulting with Dr. Oliver would make you feel better about Barney 's diagnosis, treatment or just make you feel better, I would do it.

Comment

Working...
          X