No announcement yet.

Out of control numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the problems she is having is necessarily related to diabetes. Maggie has had some issues lately more related to age with her mobility. I took her to the vet and we decided to pursue some maintenance pain control for her. I would get her to the vet, and see if arthritis or something else is going on. The cold weather could be affecting her too.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Re: Out of control numbers

I agree. I don't think it's related to her diabetes either. Probably one of the many hind quarter mobility problems large breed dogs are susceptible to with age. I just want to make sure she's not in pain and would love some solution to her inability to get up so she can get outside, to her bed and to her food/water dishes. I hope to get in to the vet tomorrow.

Comment

Annie has slowed way down in the past 6 months, but she is 14+ years old. She no longer jumps onto the sofa, and sometimes needs "encouragement" to get up. This isn't all the time! Sometimes when I open the door, she will take off at a run, just like a puppy! I really can't tell from day to day how mobile she will be.

In the past two months I've added two supplements that seems to be making a difference. I'm giving her a 81mg baby aspirin and a glucosamine / chondroitin tablet. I can't be 100% these are helping, but I think they are. The glucosamine/ chondroitin I started with was one sold for dogs, but I've recently switched to a human tablet (cut tablet in half to be about 500mg: really just guessing at the dosage, trying to duplicate the one sold for dogs). I've also been giving a 500mg fish oil capsule that is supposed to help joints. Your pup is much larger than Annie, so I'd think you could use a larger dosage?

I can't explain why the stiffness for both of our pups came on so quickly, but I'm guessing old age and diabetes isn't helping.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hopefully the vet can help with dosages for some meds/supplements. Sure is worth a try. It's so hard watching her like this. I think there has to be some circulation problem for sure with the difference in temp from her front and back paws. Thanks for your input/suggestions!

Comment

This is the dog supplement I bought. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o00_s00

The label indicates a 60 pound pup should be started on 3 tablets a day for three weeks. Then the dosage would be reduced to 1.5 tablets per day. Again, I switched to a human style (CostCo) to get a lower cost. Just in case your vet suggests a glucosamine supplement.

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

This does not sound like arthritis to me, as the inability to move differs from the reluctance to move due to pain.

I have had several senior pugs over the years, and 2 currently, that have mobility issues similar to this. The difference in temperature from front to back legs is significant. Usually the vet will find a very weak or absent femoral pulse on the hind legs. Pretty normal for seniors to have reduced circulation usually due to some type of heart issue (CHF)

We have tried using vetmedin on several of these, and it has worked on all but one. Vetmedin has very few side effects, you can google it to see exactly how it strengthens the heart, but basically it lowers the blood pressure on the output side of the heart so the heart can beat more efficiently. Increasing the circulation has got some of our guys walking when they could not, one currently has been on vetmedin for 2 yrs now, and at 14 (old for a pug) is still trotting around. He had been "down" for several months before we adopted him.

You might run that option by your vet, a lot of them don't think it will work, but as long as your dog doesn't have any contra-indications, it won't hurt either. We found a lot of difference in just a couple weeks. BTW getting them mobile again is not the only benefit, they eat and feel better overall, just as anyone would when the oxygen supply is increased.

It does not affect the glucose levels at all. On your dog, I see a good improvement when you raised the insulin dose, just needs more yet. The cheaper meters work well, but your true numbers are probably considerably higher. If you post the type of meter, Craig is our resident expert at converting the numbers. If the numbers are actually higher than the 300+ range you posted, then you have a lot of safety margin to raise again shortly.

Comment

Joan, thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely run that idea by the vet! You are the first person that has mentioned the significance of the temp diff between her front and back paws. I thought that was very important too, but could find nothing on the internet that mentioned what it may mean. I'm very anxious to get done with work and get her to her vet appt! You have given me some hope with this idea. It's worth a shot anyway.
                I have been taking her glucose reading with my OneTouch Ultra. She usually stays in the 300-400 range even when she doesn't eat and we give her half her insulin.
                I'll keep you posted on what I find out tonight. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts!

Comment

its possible your pup may have poor circulation from the elevated blood sugar

we have seen rear leg weakness on the forum with mostly larger dogs but most of that was early in the diagnosis and once blood sugar was reduced things improved but jasmine from what you posted does spend most of her time in a higher range so its possible it could be related to the diabetes or contributed to the affect

it also can be neurological or spinal in nature being so sudden can point to an injury or a tweak of the back and it may not take much for it to occur maybe a slip on the ice or snow . or as simple jumping up on something

a friend of jesse had a substantial injury on the back side . they decide to try chiropractic techniques when all else failed . it worked and still going for walks 3 years later where it was not possible

positive thoughts in determining the problem and a solution to get jasmine back up and running again
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

The vet did not think Jazzy's problems were heart related. She said her heart sounds good and there's a good femoral pulse. The fact that her hips are so bony and she can walk for a little while after long periods of rest, but can't sustain for long she said points to an arthritic reason. We're trying pain meds for a week to see if they help.
                    If she's in pain now and the meds help, hopefully she'll eat better then and be able to get outside to relieve herself. This morning she peed and laid practically right on it in the living room because she could move no further and I came home from work to a room full of poop some of which had been squished probably from stepping on it or lying on it.
                    As I was cleaning her up to make her semi presentable at the vet, I noticed there was blood coming from her rectum. For some reason the vet didn't seem terribly concerned about that? Said it can happen with straining...
                    Also, she does have a growth that has gotten really gross over the last month or so because she keeps licking it. It seems to be on the skin surface so I didn't think it was anything really. The vet said there IS a CHANCE that it could be a cancer, but she's in no condition to biopsy it right now.
                    Wish us luck with the pain meds! I'm hopefully going to borrow a crate from a coworker to at least contain these messes if she can't get outside.

Comment

Fingers and paws crossed for you! Maggie has felt much better. I wish I had the courage to try Metacam but I am scared it will give her pancreatitis. Rimadyl did the first time and second time she had it. Tranadol will have to do for now.
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I am sure that your vet has already checked her spine, but my sisters dog has a pinched nerve in his spine that causes him to do exactly what you're describing. She has had to get him steroid injections to reduce the swelling and let him rest twice in the last year. Just a thought. Good luck!
                        Cari the Cairn. 12 years old, weighing in at 10.4 lbs. 3U of Novolin N twice a day at meal time. Feed 1/3 c. Pure Balance Lamb and Brown Rice + 1 tsp pure pumpkin and 1 tblsp lean meat twice daily. Frozen green beans as treats for taking her bg's and insulin. She is my spunky little girl.

Comment

Previcox is what the doc put Jazzy on

Comment

She didn't actually check her spine (as far as I noticed anyway). I should ask her about that, but like I said, her hips are really bony...makes it seem like hip dysplaysia or arthritis. Were your sister's dog's hips bony?

Comment

I am so sorry, my computer timed out on me and I didn't check back until just now. My sisters dog is really tiny, he weighs under 5 lbs, so he is bony all over. His came up all of the sudden too, like you said happened with Jazzy. We really thought his back was broken or something he was so disabled by it. He couldn't move his back legs, walk, go to the bathroom, he drug his limp legs behind him, and we all were so scared for him. The vet did a spinal x-ray and noticed the bulging disc and pinched nerve and gave him the steroids and kept him crated for a few days and voilą, he was up and running again. It happened again about 6 months later, the same disc, the same treatment and he has been fine since. I really hope that this helps you and you have some luck at the vet tomorrow. Good luck to you and Jazzy!
                              Cari the Cairn. 12 years old, weighing in at 10.4 lbs. 3U of Novolin N twice a day at meal time. Feed 1/3 c. Pure Balance Lamb and Brown Rice + 1 tsp pure pumpkin and 1 tblsp lean meat twice daily. Frozen green beans as treats for taking her bg's and insulin. She is my spunky little girl.

Comment

Well, Jasmine is in sad and in pain no more. She died yesterday while my son was home alone with her. While we're glad she is suffering no more, that was really hard on my 16-yr-old son who doesn't remember a life without her to have to deal with that when no one else was home. My heArt breaks for him, but he's dealing....
                                She was never the same since she lost her sight because there was nothing that brought her greater joy than running after balls, rabbits, squirrels...and she couldn't anymore. She's in a better place.
                                Thank you all for your help and support over the years!

Comment

Working...
                                X