Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diabetes, pancreatitis, possibly Cushings and atopic dermatitis - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes, pancreatitis, possibly Cushings and atopic dermatitis - help!

I haven't stopped crying for hours and am so grateful to have found this forum. My six-year-old toy poodle x 'Banjo' is at the vets tonight with diabetes, pancreatitis and a possible diagnosis of Cushings Disease. He also has atopic dermatitis which he occasionally has Prednil tablets for. The blood tests they've done today confirmed the diabetes and pancreatitis, but the Cushings is a gut feeling my vet has based on his symptoms and the test results. My vet hasn't come across this particular mix of conditions before and I've walked out of the surgery feeling as though my Banjo has been given a death sentence because of the cost all of this will take to sort out. I'm hoping there are other people in the forum who have been in a similar situation and can offer any insight. My vet said that Cushings can make it very difficult to treat the diabetes and Banjo won't be able to use Prednil for his skin anymore, and that the alternate skin treatment (which is fairly new and very expensive apparently) can't be used with Cushings either. He also said that pancreatitis is also difficult to control with diabetic dogs because they need to eat with their insulin but fast to help ease the pancreatitis flare-ups, and that the side effects of the Cushings meds can be pretty horrible. My whole family is a mess over this, and my poor other little dog is so distressed at not having his little mate here. They've never been apart in six years. I'm so overwhelmed and frightened. The vet said they'd try to stabilize the diabetes overnight and see how he responds. If he responds it's a glimmer of hope, but if he doesn't it's likely Cushings. However from what I'm reading on here it sounds like it takes longer than one night to really see if they're insulin resistant or not. Is that right? I've gone from sobbing because I was sure I'd have to have my dog put to sleep tomorrow to now grasping on to a glimmer of hope that not all is lost quite yet. My poor 10 year old son has gone to bed crying, and so has my mother. Any advice will be so very much appreciated, especially anyone in Australia who can give an insight into costs and procedures here. Thank you in advance.

Re: Diabetes, pancreatitis, possibly Cushings and atopic dermatitis - help!

You can get the blood sugar down but you can't stabilize a dog in one night. It takes awhile. Some of us are going on a year getting our dogs regulated, others, several months.

Several dogs on here have had bouts with pancreatitis and diabetes and they're doing fine.

Walmart sells Novolin insulin for about 24.69 and the syringes are about 12 bucks for 100, so don't panic. I'm not sure if there's anything comparable in Australia. You'll need to get a meter for home testing. If your vet discourages home testing, do it anyway. It's saved Daisy's behind on more than one occasion.

I'm not an expert on this and I may be wrong, but just because a dog doesn't respond to insulin in one night doesn't mean they have Cushings. And just because a dog does respond to insulin doesn't mean they don't have Cushings. Daisy did not respond well to the first insulin the vet put her on and she does not have Cushings. She just needed a different insulin.

You've come to the right place. There is so much wisdom here and good people that can help. Just hang in there, I understand how you feel. Many of us have been in the same boat at one time or another and have found out our babies are more resilient than we realize.

I'm sure the others will be chiming in soon.
    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

my jesse was DKA ,pancreatitis , diabetes and had emergency surgery for a uterus in infection all at the same time . this was over 7 years ago

she has not had pancreatitis since that first acute event

the cushings you might want to hold off on that and see if insulin makes a dent in blood sugar without a high dose to accomplish that which can determine cushings . insulin resistance is a symptom of the disease

thats a myth that you cant give injected insulin without food . my jesse only gets one meal a day and 3 shots . her morning dose is smaller than the evening dose thats with a full meal and she just receives a milk bone snack . actually i give her one meal is to keep pancreatitis at bay . my theory with just one meal her body gets a break from digestion . you will not find this method in any medial literature as a treatment . just something i felt would work for jesses situation

most dogs can receive a quarter of a normal dose without food

your pup is young thats positive . its going to be tough for a bit . i recommend getting a blood sugar monitor to test blood sugar at home .most of us do it here on the forum which has helped pups to live normal lives with the disease

this is a disease that a caretaker can have a big impact on the outcome being proactive in the management of the disease at home
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by sireland75 View Post
        My six-year-old toy poodle x 'Banjo' is at the vets tonight with diabetes,

• diabetes
          • The diabetes can be treated fairly inexpensively. As Daisy mentioned, the insulin and syringes are very affordable, using Walmart's brand, ReliOn Novolin N.

• pancreatitis
          • The pancreatitis will make the regulation difficult, until it passes - and it will pass.

• possible diagnosis of Cushings Disease.
          • Many dogs are suspected having both diabetes and Cushings when first diagnosed. The vast majority of these "suspects" do not have Cushings. Some do, but not many.
        Welcome to you and Banjo. ... You've found your way to the best place on the planet for doggy diabetes information, advice and fellowship. Please take full advantage of it all.
        Last edited by farrwf; 08-15-2017, 07:42 PM.
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

From my experience with pancreatitis, they will fast the dog for a short while then start tube feeding, then real food. My dog had a fast acting insulin drip at the same time to bring down the high sugar causing his ketoacidosis..
          This is different than regulating, which takes some time.
          Once they get the pancreatitis under control in 3-5 days, it may never come back. You don't have to fast the dog after that, you feed regularly and give insulin. Just make sure it is a low fat diet.
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have taken a deep breath today and am feeling calmer and more focused. Banjo's blood glucose was 26 when they admitted him and it's down to 18 and steady today even after eating so they're increasing the insulin a little this evening. I've decided not to worry about Cushings yet. No use worrying until there's something to worry about, right? All my dogs have lived very long happy lives and have only ever passed from age related issues, so having such a young dog get sick is a real shock. Once my boy is home, hopefully on Thursday, I'm sure I will become a regular here so I can learn from you all.

Comment

hi, I'm glad you are calmed down. You've got this. I'll try to keep an eye on your thread if my anecdotal experiences can help. My Jenny had cushings and diabetes for 3 1/2 years before her little body just gave out.

My non-diabetic, non-cushings poodle, who is 14 1/2 now, had every symptom of cushings. My vet and I were positive he had it. He does not have it. Thyroid is fine. Got over being exposed to lymes. He just has crappy hair, allergies and is psychologically stressed if he doesn't have 24 hour a day access to water (which he has-free run of the house).

He is a nervous dog and when he is stressed he gulps. And pees. And pees some more. Vet's diagnosis: some dogs are just a little crazy. lol

so, hang in there. it may be cushings, it may not. it is all able to be handled. I remember crying to my vet thinking Jenny was going to die in 6 months. He told me we'd get her past the gloom and doom predictions of the internet. We did. She was pretty fiesty till the last 6 months or so

hang in there. Judi
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
              X