Debbie

Comment

Re: Been there, Done that- Part II

That's great news, Debbie!
      Way to go Harley!

Comment

DOUBLE YAHOOOOOO!!!

Yesterday's weight check was 13.7 lbs, so Harley is back up to his "fighting weight".

Debbie

Comment

Good Job Harley and Mom

That's almost a pound and a half Very good to hear

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Oh Deb, that is so good to hear!!!!!!!!!

Barney and Cheryl

Comment

Well, the hard earned weight gain may not hold up for long. It's hunger-strike central at my house for pretty much the last 4 days. The only thing I've gotten Harley to eat is his Evo kibble mixed with meat flavor baby food for 2 meals. He wouldn't touch that tonight. I've tried both the beef & chicken canned food I have. Beef was mixed with kibble, chicken had nothing else. The little snot looked at me like he was highly insulted. I have tried, I think 2 or 3 different brand of canned food over the past month. He will eat them for about 2 weeks, then quit. This includes Merrick's which he ate really well for over 5-6 months last fall. I really don't think it's his teeth because he just had a dental in 2/09. He would not even touch the NutriCal paste tonight. When he gets to about day 4 of this, Mom starts getting stressed. I guess I will go across the street to Whole Foods in the morning & check out what they have to offer in the way of canned food.

At least, Chewbacca will eat anything I put down. As long as that boy gets 2 squares a day, plus treats, he's a happy little boy.

Debbie

Comment

Debbie,

How frustrating and worrisome for you!! Sure hope you can find something over at Whole Foods that will make Harley's taste buds happy.

Good luck on your quest!

Louise
                Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Would he eat boiled chicken breast with rice? That's Wylie's favorite (but of course, he also really liked it when I gave him the nasty, stinky raw green tripe).

Harley sounds like my neighbor's cat - when he turns up his nose, my neighbor opens a different flavored canned food and gives the "no good" food to the strays (but I guess you don't need strays with Chewbacca around!)

I hope you find something...he is drinking water & acting fine otherwise, isn't he? Doesn't look like any GI or GB issues?

-Susy

Comment

He's fine. Drinking, no vomiting, diarrhea, etc., just being a snot to drive me nuts. I just got back from my errands which included the Whole Foods trip. There are some dried chicken breast strips for treats in their pet food section which he will eat, so I bought another bag of those. I bought 2 cans of Newman's Own dog food as it appears to have gotten pretty decent reviews, & doesn't have much junk in it, all organic. We'll see in a couple of hours when it's time for supper.

Debbie

Comment

Are the strips made in China? I have a hard time finding ones that aren't.

-Susy

Comment

Oops, forgot about that, & yes, they are, but both dogs have been eating them without a problem for about 6 weeks. So I think if there was going to be a problem, something would have shown up by now.

Debbie

The producer is Dogswell. I just took a look at their website , & they do have a letter posted from the CEO that guarantees product safety for what it's worth.
                        Last edited by stardeb55; 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I don't recall which brands were recalled or suspected, but I do remember this:
                          "Dog owners who feed their dogs chicken jerky products are asked to watch for these signs: decreased appetite (although some dogs may continue to consume the treats to the exclusion of other foods); decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea (sometimes with blood); and increased water consumption and/or increased urination."

Just be careful (I know you are)... I just remember reading comments on articles from people who's dogs had alleged issues/deaths due to brands that were not recalled yet...at that time, I do remember not finding anyone who blamed the Dogswell brand for their pups ills (I was contemplating getting that brand, but decided to just stop giving the jerky treats to Wylie 'cause I couldn't decide). I do recall, that it was mostly, if not all, small dogs that had the problems.

Fingers crossed that the little snot eats the Newman's Own.

-Susy

Comment

I wouldn't feed anything from China to any living thing I'm afraid! The really scary thing about this problem with the jerky treats is that no-one has been able to find what the contaminant that causes the problem is - but it ain't melamine. It seems that because the contaminant hasn't been found they are able to give these guarantees that there is nothing nasty in the stuff! Some of the companies who supply these treats (don't know which one(s) but Kathy (We Hope) does have that info at her fintertips) have been pretty aggressive when it comes to shutting down anyone who casts doubt on their products - even professional veterinary associations have had problems when they try to raise concerns!

It is pretty easy to make safe chicken jerky at home if you have a fan-forced oven and you can probably do it with a conventional non-fan-forced oven too. I make my own (using beef heart, not chicken because of the cost) and it works out really well - only problem is that the house tends to fill with flies.

Alison

Comment

Harley ate about 60-70% of his supper which is more than he has eaten at any one meal in the past 3-4 days. We are in the clear for now, so we'll see how long it lasts.

Debbie

Comment

Yay Harley!!!

How's he eatin' now?

-Susy

Comment

Working...
                                X