Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kobi...Kevin's New Rescue

Carol,
    Thank you for finding that link. It just makes all of these decisions so much more difficult! Microchipping didn't exist when Ozzi and Abby were pups, or at least I wasn't aware of it. After reading your articles, my head is spinning about what to do regarding neutering and microchipping. I want to do the best thing for Kobi, but it's becoming unclear what that is! I'll talk to my vet as well before making a definitive decision on microchipping.
    Thanks again,
    Kevin
    Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

I did not know that about microchipping?! Both my dogs were rescues and were microchipped before I ever took them home. That is so scary Carol! Kevin, forgive me if you said this, but why are you considering microchipping? Is it mandatory?

Comment

Microchipping is not mandatory, but many people do it in case they lose their animal from having them stolen or becoming lost. The pet can be scanned at police stations, shelters, etc. to be identified and returned. I was actually not going to do it since I've never lost a pet and someone would have to rip Kobi out of my hands to get him, but the vet suggested I have Kobi microchipped. She feels that it's an additional layer of protection for all animals.
        Kevin
        Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Today I brought Kobi to the Blessing of the Animals at Endicott Park. He had a blast...so many people, dogs, and new smells (he loved the sheep who reside at the park!). It really was a great day for him and for me. Here's a pic of the minister giving Kobi his blessing:

Apparently he's Episcopalian now!!
          Kevin

Comment

Awwww, Kevin that is soooo sweet! What a doll baby Kobi is. He really does look like he is enjoying himself. The catholic church here in my town has done the blessing of the animals for the last two years and I have missed it both times. I'm not catholic, but I would still like for Chloe to be blessed. I hope I can make it there the next time they have it.

Hugs,
            Heidi and Chloe

Comment

LOL...I love that! Bet you guys had fun!

Look at those beautiful leaves on the ground too...I miss all the trees back east this time of year. I bet the park was beautiful!
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

He is so adorable. I love his tail and freckles. What a sweetie. Tell him to pray for us Kevin
                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Kobi is lovely what a cutie, this is lovely having a blessing.

He looks so calm.

Hugs

Marg
                  Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Kobi's Update:

Kobi is 9 months old now and gaining weight and height like crazy! He is an incredibly happy puppy who is always up for a new experience!

He recently had an itchy, reddened area around his neck. My regular vet wasn't in, so he was seen by another vet in the practice whom I've never seen before. She came into the room and asked how old he was. I told her, and then she quizzically asked "what's wrong with his eyes?" LOL She hadn't read the chart and had no idea he was blind, but knew something wasn't right. Anyways, he had a "hot spot" and he finished the steroids and antibiotics and is doing well.

He has an appointment with the opthamologist next month and I suspect he will be put on opthalmic steroids for 8 weeks because of dry eye. His tear production was normal in August but decreased significantly in November, so the opthamologist wants to see him in March to make the determination about treating him.

He is an unbelievably great listener, and when I take him anywhere he follows my commands extremely well, e.g., stopping before hitting an object in his way, and people do not believe that he is blind. It's such a joy to have a blind dog who doesn't get hung up on it. Poor Ozzi never really adjusted to his blindness, he just became more or less resigned to it.

Kobi was neutered in November and was perfectly fine the next day. These dogs amaze me. They just move forward no matter what! I guess we could all take a lesson from them!!

Kevin
                    Last edited by ozzi; 02-18-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

He's so adorable and so lucky to have found you!
                      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Glad he healed up well Kevin. If you ever catch another hot spot early on, Gold Bond medicated Body powder worked well to dry a few Ali had up in the past.

Good luck with his next eye appt.

I think we need new pictures of your crew They are growing too fast.

Kevin, I thought of you this winter with all the snow out east, knowing you drive up to care for your mom. Hope you didn't have too hard of a time.

Take care,
                        Patty
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Kevin, just have to tell you that Kobi is one little cutie petootie!! OMG, his face, like you said "just melts your heart".

I'm so happy that you found each other. And no other pets never replace ones we've lost, they just add to our collage! You give that little cutie a great big hug!

Comment

Thank you Patty, Tami and Glenda!

Patty, I had never heard of a "hot spot" until Kobi developed this, and I appreciate the info on the Gold Bond's powder...I'll give it a try should it happen again.

The number of nor'easters has been horrendous, averaging about 2 snowstorms/week this winter, and the amount of snow is the worst I have seen for some time. Then, we had a 60-degree day yesterday...LOL! That's New England for ya! Back to snow on Monday. My mother went to my sister's in Florida for the winter which kind of gave me a break (she calls me almost hourly to let me know what's up...ha ha!) I had hoped to get to Florida and avoid this mess myself, but Abby just isn't healthy enough to do the trip. I'm going to Atlanta in a few weeks on business, so hopefully I can escape the cold, although the south has been hit hard this year as well. I'll be gone for 4 days, and it'll kill me to be away from my little ones, but they'll be in good hands fortunately. How are things going for you in your new place??

Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Yeah, Goldens are notorious for hot spots in the summer. Ali's had a few that I cleaned and "puffed" some Gold Bond on. I can't remember who gave me that idea (we lived in TX then which didn't help with the heat), but it seemed to work. They can spread and get bad really very fast if not caught early.

Glad to hear your mom is someplace warm ...and you're not having to make that drive up to NH.

We are doing pretty well. Haven't really had much snow here. Looks like we left NY in time to miss being buried this winter!

Enjoy your trip to Atlanta. I'm sure your crew will miss you as well

Take care,
                              Patty

Comment

Kevin,

I'm so sorry for being so slow to get back to these threads and say hello! It is always wonderful to see you here - we miss you!

I've been a bit swamped unfortunately so a little slow.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X