Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Ruby stewbie, Vetsulin (for now) Aphatrak (mostly) , Petsure (very good with setting @#2- NOT used with FBG) and Freestyle InsulnX (on occasion not with FBG)
    Last edited by bichons9; 06-19-2020, 10:31 AM.
    Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

1 noodle around 11am/pm-12am/pm..a pasta noodle?
      1/2 vitamin..What type and is this important?
      1/4 t d-mannose..Why?

Yes, a pasta noodle. The 11-12 noodle is because she needs a carb snack midway through until her next insulin injection. Keeps her fasting nice. If she doesn't get her noodle, her fasting will be in the 4-500's. She gets one Ronzoni brand rotini both day and at night. I use automatic dog food feeders, one in the kitchen for when I'm at work and one on my bed for nighttime. Both feeders have a microphone so you can call your dog in your own voice. The one on my bed, I whisper "Daisy, wake up, time to eat your noodle." hahaha. She sleeps next to the feeder instead of me! The one in the kitchen has a loud human whistle with me yelling "Daisy, come get your noodle!!!" It repeats 3 times which is annoying because she's usually at the feeder and eats her noodle before the voice message comes on (she hears it spinning around) but whatever works.

Vetriscience Canine Plus Senior Multivitamin because I home cook for her and she gets very little kibble. She gets 1/2 tablet per dosage recommendation for her weight. I also give her a little seaweed calcium.

1/4 t d-mannose I give at night. Daisy has a hx of UTI's and studies have shown the d-mannose keeps the bacteria from sticking to the cells in the urinary tract system, so they essentially just pee it out. It has cut down her UTI's quite a bit. The longer the d-mannose is in the bladder, the better it works. It is a form of glucose but is not metabolized very well, so it doesn't affect blood sugar.
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
        Yes, a pasta noodle. The 11-12 noodle is because she needs a carb snack midway through until her next insulin injection. Keeps her fasting nice. If she doesn't get her noodle, her fasting will be in the 4-500's. She gets one Ronzoni brand rotini both day and at night. I use automatic dog food feeders, one in the kitchen for when I'm at work and one on my bed for nighttime. Both feeders have a microphone so you can call your dog in your own voice. The one on my bed, I whisper "Daisy, wake up, time to eat your noodle." hahaha. She sleeps next to the feeder instead of me! The one in the kitchen has a loud human whistle with me yelling "Daisy, come get your noodle!!!" It repeats 3 times which is annoying because she's usually at the feeder and eats her noodle before the voice message comes on (she hears it spinning around) but whatever works.

Vetriscience Canine Plus Senior Multivitamin because I home cook for her and she gets very little kibble. She gets 1/2 tablet per dosage recommendation for her weight. I also give her a little seaweed calcium.

1/4 t d-mannose I give at night. Daisy has a hx of UTI's and studies have shown the d-mannose keeps the bacteria from sticking to the cells in the urinary tract system, so they essentially just pee it out. It has cut down her UTI's quite a bit. The longer the d-mannose is in the bladder, the better it works. It is a form of glucose but is not metabolized very well, so it doesn't affect blood sugar.
        I like your routine
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I like your routine
          We're trying to make this fun. I love her so much.
          Last edited by Daisydog10; 04-21-2018, 07:49 PM.
          Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Becky, 10yrs old, Miniature Schnauzer

Dog's weight: 20lbs

Diet: Ruby Stewbie (homemade diabetic dog food) and Royal Canine Glycobalance 2c. per day

Insulin: Vetsulin U40

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 9units 2x a day

Brand of BG meter if home testing: AlphaTRAK

Comment

Name/breed: Lucy, mystery mix, 58 lbs

Diet: feeding Wellness Core Reduced Fat now but her BG really spikes after eating so I may have to look for another alternative. I tried home cooking after she had a bout of diarrhea but it just wasn’t working for us. Too much protein and the diarrhea got worse and I just couldn’t figure out the right mix and a combo she would eat. I finally transitioned her back to a dry but the spike after eating is HUGE. It has potatoes and I’m guessing that’s the problem. Unfortunately low glycemic carbs like lentils and chickpeas give her reflux.

Insulin: just started levemir after trying Novolin N and Novolin 70/30 over past two months. Dosage ranges from 2-3u 2x/day. The vet gave me a variable dosage chart and her dose is based on her fasting BG at that moment. I know that’s not the norm but I think it’s because levemir is long acting so there’s potential for overlap. We’ve only been using a few days and dosage will def need lots more tweaks.

Meter: alphatrak2, but I also have a one touch mini and I’m hoping it will be accurate enough to use once she’s somewhat regulated since there are strips that are MUCH cheaper for it

Comment

I’m cooking for my dog and is there a protein to carb ratio that is sort of standard

Comment

Hello. Our dog was just diagnosed with diabetes last week and we have started him on insulin. I am at a complete loss as to what to feed him though. He used to be on raw food (Answers - patties) but I was told it's not good for him and to find something else. Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Henry, Lab/Border Collie. Probably 11 years old.

Dog's weight: 68lbs

Diet: Natural Balance Grain Free Lamb Formula twice a day. We make homemade deer jerky treats for him. He has some food allergies and chicken is a big one, turns him red and his hair falls out.

Insulin: Vetsulin but doesn’t seem to be helping much. Glucose readings still 400 to 500. Our vet is concerned to increase insulin any higher for now.

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 14 units twice daily.

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Advocate PetTest meter and strips. I have a One Touch as backup.

Henry was just diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago. Out vet believes it was from long term steroids for allergies. He was started on Vetsulin 10 units 2x a day and increased from there to 14 units. He has shown improvement as we were getting HI on the meter at first. I'm not sure at times if he will get through this.

Comment

Dog Name : Cloud , Sib Husky 11 years old

Dogs weight : 80lbs

Diet : Vet gave me Hills canned 2 and 1/2 cans per day
                      okay with it first day at home but starting to not eat it

Insulin : Vetsulin 7 units twice a day, his last readings at hospital were
                      4/26 BG 445, 4/27 BG 488, 4/28 BG at hospital still high and not reported, 4/29 BG pre insuline 225 after insuline 1am is 148, 4am 159. this is when i picked him up.

BG meter : currently i dont have a meter and im conflicted on which one to purchase atm because financially the hospital visit drained me and i dont want to constantly bring him to the vet to get blood work because it will stress him out.

Comment

We are Dutch and living in North-Holland

Dogs Name: Bart, Small Munsterlander, born july 2011

Dogs weight: 21 kg (= I think 46 lbs)

Diet: Started with Prins diabetic dry food, than Royal Canin Diabetic Dry food, didn't work well, now changed to Raw meat, comes in sausages dutch brand Raw for Dogs, we cook vegetables and give a spoonfull with every meal. So no carbohydrates, with little vegetable oil and some linseed one theaspoon each meal to prevent obstipation
                        He eats two times a day. 8.30 - 19.30

Insulin : Vetsulin morning 6.5 evening 6

BG meter: Freestyle Reader, also used with Freestyle sensors, used in the beginning 5 sensors to get him sorted out.

Accucheck Instant

Diagnosed with diabetics : 1 oktober 2019
                        Last edited by Annemieke; 05-01-2021, 03:09 AM.
                        Bart is a Small Münsterlander, born 07-2011, 21 kg
                        Diabetes: okt 2019 Insulin: Vetsulin morning 6.5 and evening 6 units
                        Meter: Freestyle reader and Accucheck
                        Diet: Raw meat with 25% vegetables

Comment

Hi all! I am Amy and my dog is "Titus." He is 10 years old and 77 lbs. We live in Iowa in the US. We are on Novolin N and using the Premier Relion meter from Walmart. He was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. I am going this alone and doing his curve at home, and I am a little overwhelmed and scared of a hypo, but by my calculations, he should be okay. I am trying to regulate him now. No readings yet under 450.
                          My vet is of no real help. I hope I can find answers here! Thank you.

Comment

• Re: titus new diabetic dog diagnosis

welcome Amy and Titus
                            we can help just need more info on Titus
                            can you post a recent curve
                            also how much insulin and what brand
                            what food and how much

i regulated my dog on my own with the help of the forum people. take a breath it gets better
                            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Updated as some things have changed.

Dog's name, breed: Henry, Lab/Border Collie. Probably 11 years old.

Dog's weight: 68lbs

Diet: Natural Balance Grain Free Lamb Formula twice a day. We make homemade deer jerky treats for him. He has some food allergies and chicken is a big one, turns him red and his hair falls out. Strange but he likes carrots as a snack now.

Insulin: was on Vetsulin but now using NPH. Results seem simular between them.

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 21 units twice daily.

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Advocate PetTest meter and strips. I have a One Touch as backup.

Comment

Hello I am Snow

I am a 9-year-old Westie and on Monday I was diagnosed with diabetes.

I am on Cannisulan 2iu x twice a day.

I live in Victoria Australia.

I weigh 9.7 kilos

My mum is very anxious in giving injections, she has never done it before and last night pricked her own thumb. I am forgiving her as it was only her 3rd time. Luckily she did not inject the insulin into herself.

She is also worried about when and what to feed me as I am very hungry and stand next to her and cry when I want to eat. I do this outside the two meal times of 7am and 7pm. Mum doesn't know what snacks she can give me now.

Any suggestions for her would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X