Best BG meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best BG meter

Hi there - new here (first post). After looking around and reading many threads one thing is very clear - I definitely need to home test. My vet, like many I have now read about here recommended NOT home testing specifically and said it was unnecessary.
    A little history: My Pomeranian Juno was diagnosed last month after we noticed excessive thirst and then had accidents in the house (completely uncharacteristic). He was hospitalized for 10 days - got stabilized and returned home on 3 units insulin. Fructosamine still above 400 at last vet check 2 weeks post discharge - increased insulin to 4 units - vet wants to re-check him after 1 more month on insulin which is coming up june 1st.
    I’ve read about human vs pet blood glucose meters and from what I gather, the test strips can be more expensive for the pet variety. Sounds like a lot of people use the human version and then do the appropriate conversion because it won’t be calibrated for a dog? Almost bought the AlfaTrax meter for pets before reading more here- so before I make any decisions I’d appreciate any helpful guidance.

What is the best meter / most accurate I can buy? I really want to do the best I can.
    Thanks!
    Juno, 8 yr. old neutered male Pomeranian,16 lbs. Diag. April 2020, had pancreatitis and DKA. Feeding chicken, brown rice, green beans and balanceIt canine supplement -Hills w/d formula (dry). Vetsulin 4.0 units 2x/day.

Re: Best BG meter

I think you, or the vet, should be doing weekly curves. Testing in a month is a long time. A new dose of insulin could be making significant changes, and you should know what those changes are.

And curves give you a more definitive picture of what is going on; fructosamine is just an average over time once you start getting regulated. Curves are what's needed to gauge insulin adjustments.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Hi and welcome . I cant recommend a pet meter as I have not used one on my jesse . I have used a discount human meter on my jesse for over 10 years . Never did any conversions and took the numbers as is . I have used many human meters and they were all not much different from the readings they gave . The original human meter that we used we compared with the vets lab analyzer ( most accurate way to test blood sugar ) and jesses meter was fairly accurate at 150 and below and got very accurate at about a 100 which is a good thing so you know a dog might go to low . Now at the higher range it could be off by quite a bit .She tested 500 on the meter and 350 on the analyzer . Now they say most human meters read lower than what it should be but not in this case in a higher range so thats why i dont convert . Others have and I wont comment on that . Its not going to be a prefect game . It will be safe and good enough to get the job done.
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi!

I've been using the alpha trek 2 blood glucose meter for the past 3-4 years now. It works great although the strips are very pricey here in Canada. Majority of the vets here uses the same one so I trust it.
        Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
        Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
        Had cataract surgery June 2016.
        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

i used the alphatrack2 with the freestyle lite strips. strips are half the price. i bought whatever lancets were on sale without using the lancet device
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
            I think you, or the vet, should be doing weekly curves. Testing in a month is a long time. A new dose of insulin could be making significant changes, and you should know what those changes are.

And curves give you a more definitive picture of what is going on; fructosamine is just an average over time once you start getting regulated. Curves are what's needed to gauge insulin adjustments.
            I thought 1 month was quite a long time- thanks.
            Juno, 8 yr. old neutered male Pomeranian,16 lbs. Diag. April 2020, had pancreatitis and DKA. Feeding chicken, brown rice, green beans and balanceIt canine supplement -Hills w/d formula (dry). Vetsulin 4.0 units 2x/day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lchow022 View Post
              Hi!

I've been using the alpha trek 2 blood glucose meter for the past 3-4 years now. It works great although the strips are very pricey here in Canada. Majority of the vets here uses the same one so I trust it.
              Thanks for the advice. Glad to know you are happy with it and it works well.

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                i used the alphatrack2 with the freestyle lite strips. strips are half the price. i bought whatever lancets were on sale without using the lancet device
                Thank you- great to know those particular strips are interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                  Thanks- I like that I have options for the strips.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                    Hi and welcome . I cant recommend a pet meter as I have not used one on my jesse . I have used a discount human meter on my jesse for over 10 years . Never did any conversions and took the numbers as is . I have used many human meters and they were all not much different from the readings they gave . The original human meter that we used we compared with the vets lab analyzer ( most accurate way to test blood sugar ) and jesses meter was fairly accurate at 150 and below and got very accurate at about a 100 which is a good thing so you know a dog might go to low . Now at the higher range it could be off by quite a bit .She tested 500 on the meter and 350 on the analyzer . Now they say most human meters read lower than what it should be but not in this case in a higher range so thats why i dont convert . Others have and I wont comment on that . Its not going to be a prefect game . It will be safe and good enough to get the job done.
                    Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

Comment

As others, im using a Alphatrack 2 along with freestyle lite test strips. I have my code set to 6 for the lite strip on the Alphatrack and gauged it against a proper Alphatrack dog test strip code set to 35, and was within 10 points, so it was good enough for me.

The vets always want to do the bg curves onsite which is not representative of how a dog will be at home. Ie...he will probably be more relaxed, eat more, and also walk or get exercise.

I have just started using the Freestyle Libre and hope to follow up with a post about my experience with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X