Varying Insulin Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Varying Insulin Requirements

When Chris was first diagnosed, he didn't have any major health issues. He had some moderate allergies and that summer he'd had a lot of problems with his ears from the allergies. That led us to try him on Temaril-P, which contains a small amount of prednisone, and that's when his drinking and urinating went bonkers. The thirst and urination didn't clear up when the Temaril-P was removed and that's when he was diagnosed.

He'd had a minor heart murmer all of his life, a remnant of his PDA surgery as a youngster - until he was 12 it was always graded as very minor - and rather poor exercise tolerance that I always assumed was damage to his heart because the PDA went untreated until he was about 8 months old. He was so weak just before the correcting surgery that one night we thought he had passed away... his breathing was so shallow. He couldn't walk half a block at that point.

But right after the surgery, with the blood going where it was supposed to, he was instantly transformed into a crazy happy energetic puppy. He just could never do things like run with someone jogging. That was too intense for him.

Later... arthritis, occasional colitis, very serious heart problems. Most of that started to be a problem when he was about 12.

I felt like his arthritis and allergies did contribute to some erraticness in his blood sugar as he seemed more stable once he started taking an NSAID. But it was really finding the right insulin regimen for him that ultimately stabilized him the most.

Endocrine diseases do tend to pile up - Cushing's and hypothyroid are common in diabetics. Allergies have led to steroid use, which helped push them to diabetes. Rarely, and very sadly, I have seen a few dogs recently wher the diabetes looked more like a symptom of something else much more ominous.

Natalie

Originally posted by pgcor View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chris have other health issues (in the beginning of his diagnosis with diabetes) that might have caused more erratic blood sugar than a dog with no underlying issues? Or is it a rarity to find a dog with diabetes and no other underlying issues? It's hard to tell from our web site because we're such a small group in comparison to the larger population. I tend to think that folks that come here seem to have issues from the get-go. Would you agree with that?

I have learned so much about my dogs and my own strengths and weaknesses since Pip was diagnosed with diabetes that on a few occasions it almost seems like a blessing. I've italicized "ALMOST", I don't want to go too far!

Comment

Natalie - big, big thank you for the explanations and thanks to all as well! The person I was referring to treats her diabetic dog similar to Eileen (or at least it seemed that way to me).

Since it appears the dog is a very pick eater, he's allowed to eat whatever he wants - hence the sliding scale. Doesn't have much tolerance for people who do not follow this protocol with their animals.

It seemed odd to me (until I read the explanations) that someone would want to change insulin all the time, but now I see the difference.

Comment

Everybody views the world through their particular experiences. Views canine diabetes through what their dog presents. I'm no exception and I definitely have my soapbox issues.

But I've also spent seven years on canine diabetes forums and seen the experiences of 300 or 400 other dogs and the variety of ways the dogs deal with food and insulin, the way their blood sugar responds from day to day and week to week, and the willingness and ability of their people to handle complex regulation processes vary tremendously.

There are people who should NOT try to do tight regulation because they don't have the skills or temperament to work through that process.

And their dogs will be okay. I value good regulation but I also know that many dogs have not only survived but thrived and lived a full life span with less than great blood sugar control.

There are dogs who don't need a complex process because you give them two meals and injections a day and their blood sugar is beautiful without anything more complicated being required.

There are dogs who simply will not tolerate home blood glucose testing.

There are dogs whose responses to insulin or food are not consistent enough to maintain tight regulation, especially if they are home alone during workdays.

There are certainly dogs who have other significant health issues that make their blood sugar responses erratic. Chris' blood sugar was much more erratic in late 2007 and 2008 than it was the three years prior to that.

As time goes on, fewer and fewer dogs are at risk of losing their lives to a diabetes diagnosis but it still happens. I don't think a lot of good comes from being intolerant of anyone who is doing the best possible for their diabetic dog under their unique set of circumstances.

Natalie

Comment

Natalie - I couldn't agree more. I just listened, even though it was through a third party - then kept on walking my spinning, barking, non-blood tested Pip on his leash.

Just kidding - he's not spinning as much as he used to.

Seriously, you know I do appreciate all the information I get here. Having a non-medical mind, some aspects of diabetes have been hard for me to understand. I tend to get frustrated easily when I don't understand something. However, between your information on diabetes and Carol's information on reactionary behavior - I'm getting better!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X