New member Snowball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New member Snowball

490 at 4:40pm. I'm thinking we need to up the dose on the isulin a little bit.

Any thoughts on how to get the blood, the poor doctor is going through heck. I got the 26 gauge instead of the 30 gauge but even with those I seem to have to stick her at least twice to get enough blood and I'm through like 8 to 10 sticks already to do 2 tests. I tried the lip and it doesn't seem to get enough blood each time. The ear has worked twice but the amount of pricking its taking is not conducive to doing this every hour or 4 hours or whatever. Is there a better spot that will easily get blood?
    Last edited by robl45; 09-30-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Hi. It’s really good that she is allowing you to test in various spots. As long as she is willing, I’d continue to try the inside of her upper lip. There’s a lot of blood available there. The lancet is probably not going deep enough. A lancing device would probably help because you can adjust the the depth with the dial on the device.

I wouldn’t adjust her insulin just yet. Like jesse girl suggested, insulin increases should only be made after doing a 12 hour curve. You would test before she eats and then every 2 hours up until the next time she eats.

You’re doing great.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

489 at 8:10pm. This is one hour after giving her the latest injection. 70 minutes to be precise. I could try to do once in the morning before we give her the next injection as well. Around 12:30PM when I did it, it was lower and then 4:40pm it was at 490. I'm assuming about 4 hours after giving the injection is approx when it would be lowest?

Is there anyway to calculate how much each half unit moves the blood sugar level on an 8 lb dog?

Comment

the thing with this disease you cant assume or calculate. Each dog wrights there own story .

lowest sugar can be at anytime. 3 hours after injection 6 and even 12 .

Wish it was more predictable and general for all dogs but its not . thats why i talked about you being an expert of your dogs diabetes . Its going to take time the more testing and doing complete curves every week will get you familiar with snowballs trends and patterns and how to move forward
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

371 at 632am right before eating.

Comment

what you would like to do is a complete curve in the near future . I would get previous curves done from the vet and see if they did complete curves and dose adjustments were based on the lowest number in that curve

Sometimes higher numbers could indicate a dose was to much and passed the dose that was needed

So you just want to make sure you are not going in the wrong direction on raising the dose . 3 units is not a small dose for a little dog its actually fairly large so you do want to think this out before moving forward
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I"m going to try to do more of a complete curve when I have time and hopefully a lancing device to make it go smoother.

We moved her up to 3.5 units from 3 units as the lowest test before was 292. I believe proper range is somewhere in the 100's?

Comment

283 at 6:04. Next shot at 7pm after she eats. It seems we made some progress.

Comment

Also what you would like to correlate is physical symptoms and if snowball starts acting more normal

Comment

Now she is acting weird. Its like she is arching her back like a cat does. She wasn't doing that before I took blood this time. I juts took blood from her ear. Could that do that? She was fine all day. We just fed her and I'm going to give her the insulin in about 12 minutes.

Comment

i wonder since you just fed is there some kind of digestive issue with discomfort being displayed

I would monitor during next feeding time to see if there issues after feeding

I dont see how testing sugar would cause what you described but it maybe some kind of discomfort

Comment

She was doing it before I fed her. Like right after the ear. I dropped her from 3.5 to 2.5 units to see if we see a difference as I'm wondering as someone said if I'm seeing the high readings from too much insulin.

The back issue seems a bit better now

Comment

She has been sleeping all the time lately. Is that a symptom of blood sugar too high? I've been reading and reading trying to distinguish between symptoms for blood sugar too high or too low.

Comment

to high or to low can give lethargic symptoms . the only way is to test at those times

It took awhile for my jesse to perk up but she has her ups and downs and that could be the new normal living with the disease

If you can attain blood sugar in a range of 100 to 250 that is pretty good some do better many dont

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                                to high or to low can give lethargic symptoms . the only way is to test at those times

It took awhile for my jesse to perk up but she has her ups and downs and that could be the new normal living with the disease

If you can attain blood sugar in a range of 100 to 250 that is pretty good some do better many dont
                                403 this morning at just now. I'm assuming 100 to 250 you are talking after converting not straight from relion prime numbers? So a 403 on this meter is really 500 plus?

Since I dropped her down and the numbers went up and the numbers are so high, I'm assuming she needs a lot more insulin to bring the numbers down, but the dose is getting very high for an 8 lb dog.

Past few weeks all she does pretty much is walk to go to the bathroom and otherwise just lies down and sleeps, if you get her up, she walks a few feet and goes to sleep. Water is like a treat to her now.

Comment

Working...
                                X