Any suggestions are greatly appreciated 😨

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any suggestions are greatly appreciated 😨

Today is blood curve day and so far it hasn't gone well. I tried to use the lancet that came with the AlphaTrak2 kit and as usual, dialed up to 4 it wasn't working. I finally did the little needle hand poke. I got a tiny spot of blood with the lancet on attempt # 959 (jk) and the meter read 2.4. I didn't believe that was possible so I did the manual poke, got more blood and it was 32.4. I don't know if he was stressed with that lancet..we upped his insulin dose and his first reading was higher than last week's. Now my sister, who fed and gave his insulin, isn't sure the shot went in as his scruff was wet when she stroked him. I guess the next reading will tell us one way or another.

As far as the test strips on eBay, I wrote the seller a note immediately after opening the box, definitely let her know how upset I was especially after waiting for it to be sent from the US to Canada, going through Customs etc. I read that a lot of ppl used the expired strips anyway but we are trying to find the right dose of insulin so I don't want to take any chances of getting bad readings. I'm going to ask the Vet what she thinks about it. To use or not to use, that is the question! I told the seller that I wanted a refund immediately or proof that she was sending me a new batch otherwise I was reporting her to eBay. I didn't realize when I msgd her that eBay automatically got a copy of my note. Anyway, she apologized profusely, said she didn't know they were expired, in fact, she didn't know they could expire. I'm not sure if I believe her but she did refund my money immediately in full. I think she was worried about me writing a bad review, of telling potential buyers what had transpired and them not buying. From what I read afterward it's somewhat an open secret that most sellers are selling expired strips which is why the price is lower. In truth, the strips I saw advertised were not that much lower than the vet once the shipping to Canada is figured in so I might as well stick with buying them from her.

Raysaint, I know you are also in Canada, may I ask where you buy your insulin?? I tried to order some online...I found two suppliers but when I ordered it I received an email telling me they had problems with Canada Post getting it delivered within the 72hrs and they would only refund the shipping if it arrived late and was tainted. As it's summer and extremely hot in many places, I decided not to take the chance. I would love if my fellow Canadians would chip in on where they buy their supplies; it would help me enormously.

Susan M, welcome! I'm new to this too and trying to figure everything out...some lovely people here have been helping me. As far as testing at home, my Vet didn't really give me an option. She basically said Do it and I'm doing it LOL. Actually she said since we had a nervous nelly ( he hates going to the vet) that it would be hard on him if he had to stay 12+ hrs for them to do the blood curve and his readings wouldn't be accurate with all the stress added. Plus, having the Vet team doing it is costly and she doesn't want to charge clients a bundle for something they are capable of doing themselves. When I had read about canine diabetes and the blood curves, I thought to myself This is for the Vet to do; I know he is going to be too difficult for me to do at home. She shot that idea in 2 seconds flat. She said they do the curve for a couple of clients with special circumstances but otherwise, she trains all her clients how to do it. Trust me when I say it is hard at first (for some - me) but it gradually gets easier with time. He is used to it now and while he doesn't like getting poked, he knows it's going to happen one way or another. I see videos of other ppl testing their dogs and they all seem very cooperative and totally unfazed...we aren't there by a long shot but it is getting better. I use the AlphaTrak2 and from what I've read, it's a very good meter but the testing strips are very expensive. I almost cry when I don't get enough blood for a reading and have to use another 1, 2 or 3 strips at a dollar per strip. Anyway, I think anyone can learn to do it with a little patience and practice.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

Working...
    X