Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harry the wonder dog - An Angel 12.05.11

Yunhee,

I too, have not been here in a long time. Came on this morning looking for information because Bagel has a terribly red eye-
    and I saw your post and went back and read. You have had a few days, but i know that you and your husband and family are still walking around with that hole in your heart. Bagel was about 3 when her Barney Beagle went to Heaven- and she grieved for him for several weeks too...

There is a huge difference between religion and a spiritual relationship with God- and as someone said, that is another day's story....

In the Bible, in Romans, there is a passage that says ALL CREATION will worship at the throne of God,......ALL CREATION will bow....

I truly believe God created these babies for us..and I am convinced that HE knows who gets whom....Bagel was one of NINE in her litter...I picked and picked up babies until I "settled" on her....She will be 12 this month and is the ONLY one of her litter that has lived past 5 0r 6...One sister made it to 9...I don't believe in coincidences- that WE got these babies because God knew we would do for them what no others could or would....

And we all have a common thread that KNOWS when we lose a baby...we offer all the comfort humans possibly can....

I am praying now for Comfort for you all....I HATE that Rainbow Bridge poem and always warn my friends not to read it..it does not give me comfort- more unrest than anything....

But I pray you all will heal with the warm memories and knowing how very dedicated and loving you were to Harry's needs...and how much MORE life he had because he found YOU all to love him.

My pastor's saintly mother, who has been in Pentecostal ministry all her 70+ years, told me she believes that God has a place for people like us in Heaven caring for the animals...THAT makes me smile. I hope you can take comfort in that HOPE as well...

Sande and Bagel

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. I wanted to let you know of a book I just finished reading titled Going Home Finding peace when pets die by Jon Katz. It is wonderfully written. Here is an excerpt called Letter from a dog. Hope it gives you some comfort.
      Dear Friend,
      It is my time to say goodbye.My legs are weakening, my sight failing, smells are faint. I am wearying. My spirit is fading, and I have been called home and away from you.
      I wish to be strong again, to roll in gross stuff, to snatch greasy bones, to eat all the things you hated me to eat, to have my belly scratched for all time, to run through fields and the woods, to smell the stories of life, and to raise my nose to the wind and see the world all over again.
      I am going home. I know I leave you in loneliness and pain. That is the way of people when they say goodbye. Dogs are different. We don't have regrets or wish that we could alter the story of our life.
      Although I have been called away, I leave you with the memories of our life together.
      I remember a cold winter's night when you sang to me in the dark as the wind howled and snow drifted outside the window. I felt your loneliness and knew my work.
      When you looked at me and the corners of your mouth turned up, you smelled and looked different. Lighter, happier. That was my life, my work. Nothing more clearly defined my purpose. When you smiled, I knew why I was here.
      I never tired of watching you, of being with you while you lived your life. I sat by your side, entering into the spirit of the moment. I supported your life, wherever it went, whatever you felt, whatever you did. I was your witness, your testament.
      I remember walking in the snow. And running alongside you. And chasing balls, Frisbees, sticks. And warm fires on cold nights. And sitting by you when you read books or watched baseball games.
      I remember my heart jumping out of my chest when you came hone and called my name, or grabbed a ball, took me outside, or fed me. I hope you know that I love all those things-whatever you chose to bring me and give me, whatever time you spent with me.
      And I thank you.
      I always knew where you were, even when you forgot me or couldn't see me. You had no secrets from me. You showed me everything. We trusted each other.
      Unlike people, I would never hurt you. I could never hurt you. It is not an instinct I possess.
      I smelled and felt all of the worries in a human life, but I am different. Like other animals, I want only what I need. Your life is too complex for me to grasp. There are so many things in it that are meaningless to me.
      I am so much simpler than you.
      I love you and I love all the people and animals in our home. And I love food and smelly things in the woods and balls and Frisbees and bones. There is not much more to me than that, and yet you loved me for it, and despite it.
      By now, you know that there is always a goodbye in the shadow of a dog. We are never here for long, or long enough. We were never meant to share all your life, only to mark passages. We come and we go. We come when we are needed. We leave when it is time. Death is necessary. It defines life.
      I will see you again.
      I will watch over you.
      I hope, in your grief and loneliness, that you will consider how sad it would have been had we not had this time together, not had the chance to give each other so much.
      I do not mourn or grieve, but I will miss standing
      beside you, bound together on our walk through life, even as I know that there is a long line of others to take my place and stand with you.
      Thank you. It was nothing but a gift.
      And finally, I ask these things of you:
      Remember me.
      Celebrate me.
      Grieve for me.
      And then, when you can, let me go, freely and in peace.
      When you are ready, do me the great honor of bringing another dog into your life, so you can give and receive this gift again.

(Jon Katz- Going Home Finding Peace when Pets Die)

Comment

Thank you for sharing that insight. It is helpful to each one of us who has lost a furry friend.

Mary
        Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
        Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
        Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
        Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Thank you! That was really beautiful and so very true! Hugs!
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

My husband just told me that he calculated the number of miles that Harry ran in his life time - average 3-4 miles everyday (somedays a lot more - like 10-15). This means that Harry ran minimum 12,000 miles in his lifetime. This was not just on the road - he ran through some of the most beautiful scenery in Chicago Lakefront, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Canada and California - mostly off leash, just as a setter is meant to.
            We are proud of our Harry.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
              My husband just told me that he calculated the number of miles that Harry ran in his life time - average 3-4 miles everyday (somedays a lot more - like 10-15). This means that Harry ran minimum 12,000 miles in his lifetime. This was not just on the road - he ran through some of the most beautiful scenery in Chicago Lakefront, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Canada and California - mostly off leash, just as a setter is meant to.

Mary
              Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
              Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
              Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
              Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
                That is AMAZING!

What a lucky dog Harry was!
                Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark on a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour. - John Boswell

A Doggy Story

Comment

Harry was a very handsome and very fortunate dog. What a great life!
                  Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Having such a vivacious dog full of such energy makes it even harder to see them without that energy. He's running around like the old Harry now!
                    Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

Yunhee,

I am just catching up on threads and saw this post. I am so, so sorry for your loss. This has been a VERY tough year for you, with a lot of heartache and difficult decision making. You were so brave to have made this final decision for Harry, and it showed him that you were willing to give him the greatest act of kindness and selflessness that you could.

Harry was a special dog to you and to us. He touched many lives, as evidenced by the number of pages of responses to his passing. I don't know if there is such a thing as reincarnation, but if there is, I want to be YOUR dog!

I admire everything you have done for your pets, and you should be proud to know that each one has lived a quality life, because of you.

Lots of love,

Kevin
                      Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Working...
                      X