Ketone and urine strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ketone and urine strips

Here's some additional information with an example of the color chart on the bottle you match the strip to:
    http://diabetesindogs.wikia.com/wiki/Ketones
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I started testing for ketones becasue our dog's BG was consistently high. Two vets (2 different offices) told me it was not necessary. For my peace of mind, it was.

Not difficult! I cut a styrofoam cup in half, trimmed the top edges (so as not to hit her with them). 1st time, she stopped the flow. 2nd time, she hardly noticed. She's been negative, even tho' BGs are high.

Best of luck to you!
      Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
      Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
      Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
      Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Kumbi didn't tend to throw ketones. I tested his glucose levels with the OneTouch Ultra, later, Ultra2, meters. The Ultra2, and I think, the older Ultra, also, would show a note on the display when glucose levels were about 300 (if I remember right), that said "ketones?" A nice reminder!

I tested for ketones less than 10 times, I think!

Kumbi was easy to test; I just dipped the stick right in his urine flow - this can be easy with males who hike their legs to pee.

Digression: my new dog, Camellia, is hilarious! As many females do, she hikes a leg to pee, but not the way males do; she lifts it forward, a bit tucked up. Many of my females have done that - Corazon Twinkletoes, Kwali Corazon, and now Camellia.

The first two of these were Australian Terriers. Camellia, a Havanese, is different - more in her poop-pose than in her pee-pose. To pee, she lifts her right leg forward. To poop, she lifts her LEFT leg forward, but also, she has a very distinctive pre-poop dance.

Unlike the terriers I had for 25 years, she would circle (a very standard behavior in many dogs); then she half-circles, back and forth, with her forelegs as the fulcrum, and FINALLY, lifts her left leg and does her job. Very funny to watch!

I hope she never gets diabetes, but if she does, it won't be hard to dip a ketostick directly in the stream! (Nor to catch a free-sample of urine for testing.)

I never did use the Ketodiastix, because I was testing glucose levels with the glucometer. When Kumbi died, five months ago today, I donated my almost-full vial of Ketostix - left it with my vet, along with a LOT of other stuff, including those expen$ive test strips for the OneTouch Ultra2! I'm sure those, the syringes, glucometers, and so forth, were well-used by needy clients, or sometimes, by the clinic, as they test using glucometers too, preferring, as I do, the OneTouch Ultra2 meters.

Mon, 8 Nov 2010 07:19:56 (PST)
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

Some dogs just tend to throw ketones more than others. Mildred does quite easily and even once showed by vet's blood results that she was in ketoacidosis which I treated at home with subq's and Humalog (rapid acting insulin).

It is important to stay on top of testing as altho urine testing for ketones is not a perfect science and I never had an indication of a problem it did sneak up on us.

I only use Ketostix as since I regularly home blood test testing for glucose in the urine is not a concern for me.

I use Walmart's ReliOn Ketostix which run about $7.00 for a vial of 50 strips. I've never done it myself but have heard of others cutting both Ketodiastix and Ketostix in half lengthwise to double the amount of test strips.

http://www.relion.com/diabetes/ketone-test-strips

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

these strips are meant for humans im thinking so will they work they same for dogs ? i was at walmart the other day had a box of strips in my hand and put them back because i didnt know if they work the same for animals ?

Comment

Originally posted by nfjchester View Post
              these strips are meant for humans im thinking so will they work they same for dogs ? i was at walmart the other day had a box of strips in my hand and put them back because i didnt know if they work the same for animals ?
              They'll absolutely work for our dogs and cats...just as the urine glucose test strips will too.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

but are the numbers the same as the vets ?

Comment

Don't confuse the urine strips for the blood glucose strips. The urine strips are just like pH strips we used in high school. Just dip them in urine or hold it under their urine stream. All it's doing is detecting ketones.

The blood glucose strips are a different animal altogether. They are inserted into a meter and placed on the blood drop you get when you prick your dog. They measure blood glucose just like the Vet does.

Does that make sense?

Pam

Comment

yes - thanks !

Comment

Home Cooked Meal Expert?

Hi, I once read about a woman who creates custom home-cooked diets for dogs (the recipes, the owner does the cooking!), and I think I read about it here -- does anyone know how to contact that meal expert? Both my Pyrenees are battling disease now, and I would love to get them eating well and I'm happy to cook for my girls! Thank you in advance for anyone who can help!
                      Karin
                      (Sonoma's got diabetes and Cushings)

Comment

Re: Home Cooked Meal Expert?

Hi Karin,
                        I know there's a yahoo group called k9kitchen. I don't have any idea if they have experience with diabetes/cushings diets however.

Lew Olson also has a book out called "Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs: The Definitive Guide to Homemade Meals" that includes info on home cooked diets for various issues.

We have several members here who also home cook and may be able to offer advice.

Hope that helps
                        Patty
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

That is what I was going to suggest (K9 Kitchen) - I think it's an off shoot from the K9Kidney list but I would think they would be able to help with other types of diet too.

I think, if I remember rightly, she has written a book on K9 nutrition. It's some years since I was a member of the kidney group and my memory is a bit hazy these days.
                          Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

You might try K9kitchen,

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9Kitchen/

It is Monica Segal who creates special diets.

http://www.monicasegal.com/aboutus/aboutus.php

Comment

My mini yorkie poo (4yrs) has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. He was in the hospital for 21/2days and they sent him home. His BG levels have not been lower than 400 and he is moderate ketone level. I upped his insulin because vet told me to, but he is still drinking alot and peeing alot. Goes through periods of lethargy. Is this normal, does it get better?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzbear View Post
                                My mini yorkie poo (4yrs) has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. He was in the hospital for 21/2days and they sent him home. His BG levels have not been lower than 400 and he is moderate ketone level. I upped his insulin because vet told me to, but he is still drinking alot and peeing alot. Goes through periods of lethargy. Is this normal, does it get better?
                                Hi and welcome.

Let us know a little more about your dog:
                                Weight
                                Type of insulin
                                Insulin dose and frequency
                                Food and frequency

Even small amounts of ketones can be life threatening. Did the vet give you anything to keep him hydrated?
                                Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Working...
                                X