• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New member Snowball

360 at 3pm and 313 at 6:10PM

Comment

I cut her nails again tonight as they were still long. One I cut too short and she started bleeding for a bit. Does that cause any problems with blood sugar?

Comment

Originally posted by robl45 View Post
        I cut her nails again tonight as they were still long. One I cut too short and she started bleeding for a bit. Does that cause any problems with blood sugar?
        Not that i have seen and i have done the same with jesse on occasion
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Last night was a bit of a disaster. Cut her nails a bit as they seemed long and I figured it would help her roller skate syndrome when she was on hard floors. Accidentally cut one way too short and she wouldn't stop bleeding. I put pressure on it and still was just bleeding away. Called a friend and got baking soda and flour which I read online should stop it. It kept bleeding. I read you could stop it by super gluing the nail and I tried that. It stopped it a bit but it was still bleeding. I finally ran out to get a styptic pencil and of course when I got home it finally stopped bleeding.

She was 363 at 945PM last night and 372 at 6:20AM. I gave her 2.5U last night instead of 2U and the numbers are higher than I expected. Past two nights in the morning they were 304 and 322 respectively and that was doing 2U at night.

Big thing is she wanted to go the bathroom at 1AM and she was the most alive I've seen her in awhile. She was standing in her cage wagging her tail and trying to jump up on her hind legs.

Comment

322 at 9:23 AM

Comment

Give the 2.5 units a few nights. The slightly higher morning numbers aren't rebound, probably just part of the adjustment process for her body.

Don't react and change dose again based on one day. Consistency and methodical is key.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

We will keep here right now. Unless I step up during the day and keep the same at night like when I did 2U at night and 2.5U during the day. I'm really concerned about getting her numbers as a whole lower.

Currently I"m at a loss for what goes on each day. 1am she was acting like a puppy. 615am not as full of energy but walking around the best she could and even came to me when I called her from 5 feet away. Took her to the bathroom at 6:15am and she squatted and did her business. Ate her food etc. 7am take her out to the bathroom and she just falls down. Its bizarre and following approximately the same pattern. I don't know what to do to get my dog back 24 hours a day instead of an hour a day.

Comment

goodmorning Rob looks like Snowballis good at 2.5 at night.

its after she eats theres a problem. lets look into her food!!

what exactly is she eating and how much??

i.d like to see her number 1 1/2 hours after food.
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

morning I"m driving at that time. 9am is about as close as I can get it. At night I could shoot more for 8pm. She has been on the same food for at least the past 6 years or more. Taste of the wild high prairie food. She gets a little chicken breast mixed in so she eats. I use very little, just enough that she smells it.

Comment

the recommended amount of dry food for a 8 lb dog on the praire wild is

3\4 cup a day.

half of 3/4 is 3/8 of a cup.

what amount are you feeding her?
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                        the recommended amount of dry food for a 8 lb dog on the praire wild is

3\4 cup a day.

half of 3/4 is 3/8 of a cup.

what amount are you feeding her?
                        Just about that. We have a 1/2 cup in the bag and I fill it a little under 1/2 cup.

Comment

Originally posted by robl45 View Post
                          I guess I will see again at 11am. I had to fight with the wife last night to stop over feeding her. She was giving her like 3/4 cup or more per meal rather than 3/4 cup a day. The problem is sometimes she eats just maybe a 1/2 of it and sometimes she will eat it all so I'm trying to have it more controlled portions.
                          k found your feeding 3/4 cup twice a day which is not the recommended amount for an adult 8 lb dog.

seems Snowball can comfortable eat half of her food that would be 3/8 a cup twice a day.

post here before you change cause the insulin dose will have to be lowered to the starting dose of 1.6.

seems she was being overfed from the start.

Comment

remember your adding chicken too

maybe u could pick up a measuring cup with 3/8 marked

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                              k found your feeding 3/4 cup twice a day which is not the recommended amount for an adult 8 lb dog.

seems Snowball can comfortable eat half of her food that would be 3/8 a cup twice a day.

post here before you change cause the insulin dose will have to be lowered to the starting dose of 1.6.

seems she was being overfed from the start.
                              No as I said above, we are feeding about approximately 3/4 of a cup per day. The chicken is very little.

Comment

372 at 3pm

Comment

Working...
                                X