No announcement yet.

Angel Mochi December 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question regarding high blood sugar...

just wondering does he see the ball?

he can here squeaky toys and feel the tug of war.

maybe have his eyes checked. maybe an infection
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

My dogs hair is clumpy..

My white poms hair seems to be getting clumpier and clumpier. He use to have very thick sheep like fur...Is it the diabetes that's causing this? My vet shaved his belly fur last year when he had pancreatitis and it's not growing back properly ...and his fur is a mess now. It started getting clumpier and clumpier since he was diagnosed last Feb. Are any of you going through the same thing? Is there a way I can get his hair to grow back nicely?

Thanks,

Lina and mochi
      Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
      Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
      Had cataract surgery June 2016.
      On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Re: My dogs hair is clumpy..

Have you had it checked for hypothyroid? Low thyroid can cause hair problems. It's a simple blood test.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

No we haven't checked yet. Last June when he had his blood test last things were fine. He's almost due for his next blood test so I'll take him. Is it a serious problem?

Also..my dog has really bad allergies and he ended up chewing his feet til they were a bloody mess while I was away at work. When I came home it was like a crime scene at my house. He's unable to run and walk properly because he's in so much pain after almost chewing off his Feet..will it be a big problem to not have him exercise too much for the next couple days until his wounds heal?
          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

no problem not exercising

there is a fairly new allergy drug called apoquel seems to really help with the itchy"s . i have no experience with it but some forum members have had good results . maybe discuss with your vet .
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Lchow022 View Post
              No we haven't checked yet. Last June when he had his blood test last things were fine. He's almost due for his next blood test so I'll take him. Is it a serious problem?

Also..my dog has really bad allergies and he ended up chewing his feet til they were a bloody mess while I was away at work. When I came home it was like a crime scene at my house. He's unable to run and walk properly because he's in so much pain after almost chewing off his Feet..will it be a big problem to not have him exercise too much for the next couple days until his wounds heal?
              In regard to hypothyroidism, if untreated, it can cause many problems including insulin resistance, hair and skin issues. The good news is that it is easily treated with low cost thyroxine tablets.

http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/hypothyroid.htm
              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
              Diabetes: Aug 2013
              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thank you guys for the responses. I'll bring Mochi in for a checkup as soon as my parents come back from their vacation.

Mochi was actually on Apoquel for a couple of weeks and it caused his blood sugars to go up the roof and as soon as I took him off of it he was regulated again. So I'm a little scared to be putting him back on it.
                I also read a lot of problems with Apoquel when I googled it up.

What should I do with his swollen painful paws? He's constantly sitting up because he doesn't want to contact anything with his paws. He seems to be in so much pain..
                On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

sorry to hear Mochi,s paws hurt

my Riles had a problem yes ago

I used Gold Bond powder and cream on his feet then covered them with baby Sox's till they got better.

seems a trip to the vet would help ur Mochi. pain pills aren't too expensive

take care
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Hi I just thought I'd chime in as our dog had terrible itchy paws and he has got on very well with Apoquel which he has had continuously for maybe 3 years (pretty much ever since I could get hold of it). It is the only thing that keeps the itching under control, though we do (with vet's agreement) give a dose somewhat higher than that recommended for his size.

I just wondered if the increase in blood sugar may have been due to an infection (Eddie's paws used to get infected after he had had a big chew at them) and the infection itself can make their blood sugar rise.

Might be worth another try perhaps at a lower dose if you can't find anything else that works?

We haven't noticed any side effects though at Eddie's age, we are more concerned with his immediate quality of life then about long term side effects - not sure how old your dog is?

I hope you're managing to find something that works for your dog.

Antonia
                    Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Maggie was on apoquel and it made her blood sugars drop significantly at first. I was wondering, too, if it might be infection that caused the blood sugar to go up. We used apoquel long term with Maggie to make her life bearable - even though it is really only intended for short term use. The biggest problem the dermatologist had with it was it having no studies to study the effects and that people would give it to address the problem without getting to the root of the problem. Maggie had so many allergies that her situation was pretty tough to treat.
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you all for your replies! I'm thinking about putting him back on apoquel maybe after his blood test and check up. I'm hoping his clumpy hair isn't anything too serious.. . His paws are super swollen right now and I'm just continuing with the polysporin and saline wash whenever he goes out to pee. I've noticed that he doesn't bite when he doesn't go for walks. But once he does go out things start to get bad again.

I'm just scared that the apoquel might raise his blood sugars again..it took me a good three weeks to get his blood sugars regulated..Mochi just turned 8 last month.
                        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Just got one high number after weeks of being regulated...

My dog mochi has been so good the past month with perfect blood sugar numbers..however today took a turn. He has bad allergies so I caught him chewing his foot like crazy..one I picked him up his face had blood and his foot was super bloody..I washed it with a bit of saline and put a bit of polysporin on it. An hour later he started chewing again..same bloody mess and was able to get to his foot with a cone on..I did the same thing and decided to take his blood sugar..it spiked to 393..now I'm back in a panic..I've been the only one taking care of him for the past month and thought I've been doing so great and been super consistent.

Could it be because of his super itchy feet and bloody mess he made that spiked his blood sugar? .
                          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Re: Just got one high number after weeks of being regulated...

hi and welcome

i would not worry about one high number and its high but not terribly high as far as dog diabetes

if the pattern has changed within a curve than you may want to explore what maybe needed

many things can affect blood sugar my jesses epilepsy seemed to affect it

there is a new allergy drug called apoquel that some members said really helped with the itchy .
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Thank you Jesse for msging back so fast. Mochi has been on Apoquel for about three weeks and there was barely any change with his compulsive chewing and it seemed to have spiked up his sugars like crazy...it was up at 400-500 until I took him off of it and it started regulating again.

I'm just so confused to why it just spiked when he's been on such a good consistent schedule...
                              I have talked about his chunky hair as well and people said he may have hyperthyroid. I'm just waiting for my dad to be back from his vacation this weekend to take Mochi get a blood test. Is hyperthyroid very serious? I'm just freaking out again now because of his out of nowhere spiked sugars...
                              On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

there is not allot you can do as far as blood sugar for now

those medical conditions can affect sugar

my jesse was in the 600s for weeks at the beginning plus pancreatitis ,DKA and a uterus infection all at the same time just one of those things are life threatening . she also has epilepsy from when she was a puppy and with all that she has been diabetic over 7 years and she will be 13 in October and has a happy dogs life

dogs are pretty tough animals and can put up with quite a bit and come out ok

Comment

Working...
                                X