Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dog losing eyesight...what to expect

that is great news!!
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Great news that around clock post surgery is something else isn't it?
      Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Wonderful to hear he's doing well!

Comment

Woo hoo! That's great news! Best wishes for a continued quick recovery.
          Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Congratulations to both of you. He gets to see and now you get to sleep.
            Tara in honor of Ruby.
            She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
            Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

How cool! Congrats, Jake!
              Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |

Comment

Wonderful news! So happy for you and Jake.
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

still tired from the round the clock care but worth it

thank you all for the well wishes
                  Jake diagnosed with Diabetes 11-21-11 age 7

SO food perscription food

Comment

Always great to come back on and here good news! SO glad Jake did well! Hugs!!!
                    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

My dog Jack has had diabetes for over year and does not have cataracts. Aside from keeping a fairly close eye on his blood glucose levels I really believe that his 20mg/day lutein supplements have helped. I am going to get some zeaxanthin for him also because based upon my google search results it may be more effective.

I used to have a dog that at the time was about 15 years old. Her eyes started to get cloudy at about age 12 and of course, got progressively worse until she was nearly blind. I didn't think that there was anything that could be done. Somewhere along the way I ran across a couple of articles about n-acetyl carnosine eye drops. They are not inexpensive but I did manage to find a fairly good price on them. I bought a few bottles. Using the cap hole poker thing I made as small a hole as possible in the tip of the plastic bottle. The directions say (for people) to use a couple of drops in each eye twice a day and to hold your head back and allow the drops to "soak" in.

Well, you can't really get a dog to cooperate on that. At least mine wouldn't.

Hence the small hole in the tip so that I could dispense a very small drop. I figured why put a large drop in her eye if it is just going to roll down her face. I put the drops in three times a day. It took a couple of months (the literature says at least three to six months for results) but the cataracts cleared up some- enough that she could see enough to get around and even to go up and down the steps. I wish that I had known about the n-acetyl carnosine earlier as I may have been able to slow down blindness. Also, the results were obvious enough that a friend even remarked about how much clearer her eyes were.

Just be careful not to contaminate the bottle tip by touching it to the dog's eye. And be patient for results. Also, I kept the bottle that I was using at room temperature in the dark, a drawer, and kept the unopened bottles in the refrigerator.

Comment

Working...
                      X