Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Daisy's Curve- Need advice

Daisey is doing so well since she's not been diagnosed all that long, and especially given that she is a schnauzer. Keep up the good work. It sounds like you have a vet that understands canine diabetes. And, you're right, this forum is definitely a blessing.
Gus - 10 yr mini-schnauzer, 20.5#. Diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 19 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, supplemented with potassium citrate granules for calcium oxalate crystals ; Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 03-20-2017, 05:12 PM

I look at Gus's picture and I just smile. He's so handsome.

I love looking at the pictures of everyone's babies. They are all so adorable and each one with their own personality.
Daisy- 7 1/2 yo Mini Schnauzer; 21.8 lb; dx 1/17; 5 units Novolin N every 12 hours; 1 1/4 cup Ruby's Stewbie and a couple small pieces of chicken every 12 hours; 20mcg chromium picolinate and 1/16 tsp cinnamon sprinkled over each meal
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 PM

I used the Pet Advocate monitor against the Alphatrak2 and noticed the PA is running lower than the AT2:

PA- 199
AT2- 225

PA- 170
AT2- 190

This was out of the same blood sample.

The PA strips I got expire in May, so I'd like to use them up and they're half the price. I'll play with it a little more and maybe add 20 pt and recheck with the AT2. Do you all trust this monitor?
Daisy- 7 1/2 yo Mini Schnauzer; 21.8 lb; dx 1/17; 5 units Novolin N every 12 hours; 1 1/4 cup Ruby's Stewbie and a couple small pieces of chicken every 12 hours; 20mcg chromium picolinate and 1/16 tsp cinnamon sprinkled over each meal
Old 03-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Founding Member

the comparison is really insignificant that is really a small percentage and its consistent so your good to go with either meter
jesse-26 lbs - 12 years old - 7 years diabetic - one meal a day partially raw and homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 03-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
the comparison is really insignificant that is really a small percentage and its consistent so your good to go with either meter
+1 Really no difference between the readings.

I'm not too happy with my recent PA strip purchase (arrived yesterday). Same expiration date as the ones bought a year ago: 5-2017. I bought two boxes, guess they will be used by the end of May, but would have expected "fresher" test strips. Also, they cost about $7 more than I payed last year

Craig
Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 PM

Thank you for the compliment on Gus's picture. That was taken before he was diagnosed.

Anyway, those readings between the two meters is not that bad. The main thing is that you catch a low reading. I still use mine all the time and once in awhile pull out the Alphatrac when I get a reading from the Advocate that seems off, but that really isn't that often.

May I ask both you and Craig where you ordered? I'm assuming Amazon. Who was the seller? I know the price has gone up,but still half cost as the Alpha strips. I pay maybe $1 more a box to order from a seller that I have dealt with. Sometimes I don't trust the names of the sellers even if they have the cheapest price. The seller I buy from is CountrysidePet Supply, located in Missouri. They sell through Amazon cheaper than from their website direct. I need to order again, and so far, the expiration dates are generally 6 months away or more.
Gus - 10 yr mini-schnauzer, 20.5#. Diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 19 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, supplemented with potassium citrate granules for calcium oxalate crystals ; Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 03-21-2017, 05:31 PM

Okay- looks like we're good to go!

I did order the test strips from Amazon at
Advocate PetTest Strips, 50 Strips
Sold by: Elite OTC Medical
$25.50

The expiration date was 5/2017 also.

If anybody finds them cheaper, let me know. I did get free shipping so that helped.

Last edited by Daisydog10; 03-21-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:52 PM

I just ordered from Amazon from the seller I'd mentioned in previous post, Countryside Pet Supply for $26.95. I know they're reputable, and have had great service. For me, it's worth the extra $1. Free shipping too. I've been ordering 3 boxes at a time.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

My PA strips were $29.99 from Amazon (SugarDealsLLC). I sometimes wonder if the prices on Amazon vary with where you live?
Old 04-02-2017, 05:36 PM

Default Daisy Curve 4/2/17

Daisy BG went too low so I lowered her dose to just a tad over 5u and we've been on it for over a week. I did a curve on her today with the AT2 to see where we're at:

7am 178 fed 3/4c Ruby Stewbie with a little bit of chicken, 1/16 tsp cinnamon and 20 mcg chromium picolinate sprinkled over food
9am 130
11am 87
1pm 82
3pm 95
5pm 111
7pm 156 - fed as above, injection and nightly walk

She's no longer spiking after meals and hasn't for a week now, so you all were right about her settling in. Her highest level last week was 255.

The 82 kind of scared me. Should I give her just a teeny bit under 5?