Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bogie - miniature schnauzer

Awesome curve!
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Joking!!! When I see numbers this good, I worry that I've somehow broken the meter.

Great numbers!

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
        Joking!!! When I see numbers this good, I worry that I've somehow broken the meter.

Great numbers!

Craig
        LOL, Craig... I know what your saying, I was ready to change the batteries

He's been doing really well lately (knock on wood) but that's not to say he will throw me that curve ball next time... But all in all he has come a long way

Thank you everyone for the great comments
        Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Those are wonderful news... Yes, when we get numbers like those, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I say prayers to the diabetic god.... hoping for the results to stay consistent...

Great Report!!
          Barb
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

• Bogies Update

Hi,

I just wanted to give a quick update on Bogie, he continues to do well (knock on wood) he went for his 4 month routine eye exam at the ophthalmologist today and the Dr was “very” happy with Bogies continued progress. She said that his cataracts haven’t advanced that his eye pressure remains low and well controlled. She told me to continue to do whatever it is I am doing and not change a thing as “It seems I have the magic touch” which made me feel very good… She also said that it is generally unheard of in schnauzers going this long and not developing full blown cataracts when they are diabetic, it has now been 8 months since he started to developed small cataracts. Jokingly she said we should bottle his blood and have it tested.

So we will continue to put his Diclofenac drops in his eye’s every other day, keep him on the HK Zeal, steamed broccoli, fish oil and Vit E and closely keep track of his BG levels he will then go back in another 4 months for his next follow up.

But all in all we are doing well, playful and guarding our back yard like a pro. His BG range from 140's to 260's.
            Thank you again to everyone here for your help and support. I know keeping BG in control and good nutrition plays a key in helping with all of this as there are others that have done well too.

But as I said fingers and toes stay crossed and we do keep a close eye for any changes.

Dawn & Bogie
            Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

thats wonderful news

i do wonder if diet helps with cataracts and more of a protein based complex carbs may help. jesse has been in that mode being partially raw for most of her diabetic life .

i guess we will never know for sure but maybe diet may have an impact
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Dawn,

That is great news about Bogie! I haven't updated our thread but Bo is doing pretty well considering his blindness. In fact, as others posted, they do tend to catch on and use the other senses more to get around. I tried a sample of the Honest Kitchen Zeal food and although Bo liked it it, I could not get it out of his beard! But our mix of dry WD and dry Royal Canin PV seems fine for him with Levemir insulin dose at 5.5 units 2 x day - working to give us mostly 150-250 and sometimes less with the 15-20 minute walks. I sure hope Bogie gets to be in the 20% of diabetic dogs who don't develop cataracts, fingers crossed!!

Janie

PS. And I also say thanks to the angels on this forum who answer the same questions over and over to newbies in panic and are available with no agenda but to help!

Comment

Dawn,

Awwww... I just love wonderful updates. I had heard that Vit E does in fact help support the eye, for cataracts. Perhaps you do have the 'magic' formula.

Barb
                  Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Great news, Dawn!
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

• Can use some help, Numbers high again

Hi Guys,
                      Need some advice… Bogies numbers have decided to go haywire on me. His fasting numbers have been in the mid to high 300’s. I am currently during a curve and certainly could use some insight. His health seams fine, he is alert, active great appetite, nice coat etc. He is still eating Zeal am and pm with added steamed broccoli. He also gets frozen green beans as treats, the only change I made a month or so ago was I removed the millet from his diet for one reason or another I can’t remember why I did that.
                      I can tell he is going thru his insulin too fast and I need to slow that down.
                      He is on 3.75 units of Levemir, I had him on 4 units for about a month thinking he needed more and then noticing it didn’t help, I lowered him back down to 3.75 unit and that was about 9 days ago but there has been no change.
                      I hope I am making sense here… I really don’t want to go to the vet for advise because I think you guys can help me more,
                      Do you think he needs something different added to his diet? Maybe reintroduce the millet to level out the curve? I am not happy with the Levemir but I don’t have anything else to work with. Also this is a new vial of insulin I opened on Aug 1st. I am pretty positive he isn’t getting into anything else food wise.
                      Thanks for your help…
                      Dawn

I still have to do my 3pm and 5pm number but as you can see he is already rising and will be high again by dinner. I will post my final number tonight...
                      Really could use some help here... I though we had this worked out but disease can throw you a loop at any time

5am 390

7am 322

9am 186

11am 185

1pm 284
                      Last edited by BogiesMom; 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Hi

Ummm

What changed first removing then the millet then raising to 4. Or raising to 4 the discontinuing the millet?

Oddly enough sounds like the millet. I know nothing about levimar but food and insulin work together. Make a change their blood sugar changings. Easy fix though.

Mo
                        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

yes your getting a pretty big drop did you see this before removing the millet?

bogies body might be reacting to this my jesse is notorious for this affect

the millet may have helped and reintroducing it back may have a benefit . you could try reducing the dose to see if things become flatter and maybe they would meander themselves to a lower level .

the funny thing about this disease with jesse if she is higher at fasting she will drop. lower she will rise and there is a level where she stays flat funny to watch i must have all the planets alighned to have perfection and sometimes we do and she hangs out with normal blood sugar for the day .

i think this is just how the body balances this new reality of injectable insulin

food and or snack have been the only thing that has helped jesse with these events and still its not consistent all the time

knowing bogie being a mini schnauzer there is the possibility of challenges to regulation hope this is just a bump in the road . jesse has had many and i dont think she will ever change with her additional challenges .
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I'm pretty ignorant at this analysis but is this the traditional "bowl" curve. I wonder if adding a little millet or something would flatten him back out.

Those schnauzers are tough to regulate aren't they?
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                              yes your getting a pretty big drop did you see this before removing the millet?

I was looking back at my documentation today and it looks like that is around the time when things started to change.

bogies body might be reacting to this my jesse is notorious for this affect

the millet may have helped and reintroducing it back may have a benefit . you could try reducing the dose to see if things become flatter and maybe they would meander themselves to a lower level .

So knowing we should do one thing at a time, should I reintroduce the millet tonight... I made some up this afternoon, and then after seeing what happens go from there to see if I need to intervene with changing the dose of insulin?

the funny thing about this disease with jesse if she is higher at fasting she will drop. lower she will rise and there is a level where she stays flat funny to watch i must have all the planets alighned to have perfection and sometimes we do and she hangs out with normal blood sugar for the day .

i think this is just how the body balances this new reality of injectable insulin

food and or snack have been the only thing that has helped jesse with these events and still its not consistent all the time

knowing bogie being a mini schnauzer there is the possibility of challenges to regulation hope this is just a bump in the road . jesse has had many and i dont think she will ever change with her additional challenges .
                              I answered in Red...
                              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                                Those schnauzers are tough to regulate aren't they?
                                Boy, isn't that the truth Judi

Comment

Working...
                                X