Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Daisy Vee

Hi Mike,

Yeah, Chris' blood sugar can plunge from exercise and even from high anxiety like a long vet visit. He could easily drop 50-100 points back when he could move fast enough to burn some energy.

Thought I'd put a copy of Daisy and the gang here directly...

Buford looks a lot like our Gus.

I was laughing about Daisy being "lazy." One of our members here, Paul, has a doberman named Zip... he doesn't like to move either!

Your curve looks GREAT!

Really nice control with the NPH.

I have sometimes given Chris' BG a boost before a walk with some syrup so he gets some glucose into his system immediately while he's walking and I know it won't last a long time so won't drive the blood sugar up hours later like food would.

I wonder if the Vetsulin was actually causing some rebound and that was the reason for the large spikes.

NPH is definitely the cheaper alternative and a lot easier with a big dog - with Vetsulin you have to give such a large volume if the dose is very high.

Not sure if you're getting it at Wal-mart. I don't typically shop at Wal-mart but with the expense of all of Chris' meds I have switched several of his most expensive medications there and the insulin is half the cost of the regular pharmacies because Novo has an arrangement with Wal-mart so all of Chris' insulin comes from there.

Mike, you really are a testament to what an actively involved owner can mean for a diabetic dog. Daisy's lucky to have you.

Natalie
Old 07-05-2008, 11:59 AM

Thanks Natalie,
I never thought of the suguar spike before the walk. That sounds like a useful tool if she's already low and it's walk time. Maybe I'll try that when we get control again and the situation is right.
MIke
Old 07-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Hi Daisy Vee! and welcome!

Here's lookin at ya! love your picture!

nothing really too add - I'll keep an eye on your post in case I can add anything. You are in a good place here -- great information, love and licks!

Debbie and Apollo
Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Founding Member

Hi Mike,
Just a suggestion.You might want to try to keep the fasting curve then maybe test an hour later to see how the food effects Daiseys bgs then every 2 hours thereafter. So you would have a total of 7 times. And keep the times consistent This way you can have the exact times to compare to..You are doing a great job with her I have a siberian husky named Pebbles with cushings,diabetes,and hypothyroid Reading what you posted you are a great furdad and really love your animals. I too have alot 6 dogs,2 cats and a cockatiel Welcome to this board!!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 PM

Hi Marianne,
I'm not that clear on how to do a fasting curve and use the data, but I will likely do it, with help, after we get through this steroid tug-o-war in a few weeks. Two weeks before her eye surgery, they gave me PredForte eye drops to apply once-per-day. At that point, I noted a need for more insulin. with just one drop in each eye per day, it went from 23 to 25 units at each meal. Now, after the surgery, she is receiving 4 times that amount of the PredForte eye drops along with several other new (to her) medicines. Glucose was at 450 when I got her home from the clinic (3 hr drive) Friday night. It was in the low-mid 400s all day the next day while I incrementally went up on the Novalin volume. She was requiring 23-24 units before any of the medicines were introduced, which kept her in the zone of 80-200 bg pretty well. Now, she is receiving 37 units of Novalin at meal time, and her glucose is in the upper 200's. Pushing any more Novalin scares me at the moment. I believe this insulin load would kill her, if not for her meds counteracting much of it, so I'm not going to push things any more. Her readings for today were sorta high, but very steady, between 260 and 280 all day and into the evening (16 hrs). She's never had a curve that flat. I'm going to keep her at the 37 units and monitor her very closely for now. As soon as her bg levels went below 300, she was her playful self again All of this makes me wonder about the dogs whose owners don't test bg, and stick to the original insulin levels, regardless of the Prednisone (or any steroid) hit. - Mike
Old 07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

I think Marianne meant a fasting blood glucose check and then a check 1 hour after food and then every 2 hours after that. It gives you an opportunity to look at that first hour after you give the insulin and see how that compares to the second hour after, with checks done over several days at the same times to allow you to see how consistent she is too.

NPH usually doesn't cause a sharp drop so I'm not too concerned. Vetsulin has been known to cause a sharp drop in the first two hours so with that insulin I like to see some monitoring of that time frame.

Most common lowest blood sugar with NPH is around 6 hours.

We did actually use NPH at one time. It worked great for Chris' blood sugar as long as we gave it three times a day - didn't ever last a full 12 hours. But then he was allergic to the protamine so we went back to Regular insulin.

Without home testing, you really can't safely maintain such tight blood glucose control, which is why so many vets try to keep a dog's blood sugar between 200 and 300. With the variation that just happens and no home testing, they need that cushion.

A "fasting curve" can be a very interesting exercise because it allows you to see how the insulin behaves without the interaction of food. I know some dogs put on Lantus have had a fasting curve done first - insulin and no food - so it was possible to see whether the Lantus gave a smooth basal insulin supply.

With the steroid drops, it seems okay to me to let her run a little higher. After all, the cataracts are gone so you don't have to worry about those anymore! Once things settle down, you can get back to tighter regulation. It's great that you've been able to compensate for the effect of the drops.

I think I'm rambling.... !

Natalie
Old 07-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Founding Member

Hi Mike,

Welcome to you and Daisy. You have come to a great place for info and lots of support. As you can already see - the people here are so compassionate and caring. My Lady has diabetes and cushing's. She was dx with diabetes in Sept. 06 and everytime I think I'm starting to understand this disease Lady will do somthing that has my head spinning again - knowing I have a place to go where people get it makes things easier to deal with. Good luck to you and Daisy and please keep us posted. Hugs to the two of you.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 07-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Founding Member

Hi Mike

I have been reading your post. Daisy is very luckie to have you. Brandy was also on the Predisone eye drops after surgery. She was on them for a long time. I found that if I gave the Predisone eye drops at the lowest peak I could keep the number flatter. It took a lot of BG checks but if I gave the eye drops 30-45 minutes before the lowest point Brandy wouldn't get that high of a spike.

Dawn and the girls
Old 07-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Hi Dawn,
I'm eager to learn more about Brandy's experiences with the Prednisone. The vet I spoke to at Ohio State Veterinary Hospital says "it can elevate bg a little". I'm giving Daisy what I would have previously considered to be fatal amounts of insulin, just to get her to the mid-high 200s for glucose values.
I was actually doubting the Reli-On meter, so I confirmed the number with a OneTouchUltra. They are within four points of each other. Mike
Old 07-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Founding Member

Hi Mike

Each dog is different they will use insulin and other medication different. Both vet couldn't believe how the predsione eye drops effected Brandy. She would spike from 180's then 1/2 hour could be in the upper 300's. Just after surgery Brandy was on the drops 6x a day. I did the same thing you are doing using more insulin. The opth vet didn't think the problem was from the drops. Just a reaction to the surgery. It wasn't until Brandy starting getting the drop 2x a day that we had problems. At first we didn't know the drop were causing the problem.
I hesitated to say anything because each dog is so different. But I don't want you to end up in the same cycle. Because of the spikes the vet told me to increase the insulin. Then when the drops would wear off she had to much insulin this would cause a low. So several times I ended up treating a hypo. At first everyone thought she was having rebounds. This went on for many months. Because the drops were causing such a spike then a drop it looked like rebounds. Poor Brandy had the insulin amount lower so many times, just to get the BG in flat range. She would be in the upper 300's to low 400's before we could start to increase the insulin.
I had enough and told the vet something else must be going on. She needs more test. So his plan was to give Brandy X amount of insulin for 5 days without doing any adjustments (unless she had lows). Then he had me do a 24 hour curve for one day. Then I had to do 12 hour curves for 2 more days. Writing down ever thing Brandy did. I mean even when she went potty how long she walked and treats. After this was all done we sat down and looked at the information. He thought the drops could be the problem. So next plan was to take Brandy off the drops (with the opth vet approval for 3days), The first 2 day I did nothing just gave X amount of insulin. On the third day I did a 12 hour curve. So now we knew how Brandy would use the insulin without the drops. So we looked for the lowest point. He had me give the drops 15 minutes before the lowest point. Then I tested he BG in 1/2 hour(from the other curve this is how long Brandy would take to rise from the drops). She still had to big of a spike so the vet had me try 20 minutes ect.. We found that 30-45 minutes before the lowest point worked the best. So she was still spiking from the drops,but not as much.

Bet this was more information then you wanted to know. I should give you a little information on Brandy. She is a doberman and is at a slim 77 pound now. She has been diabetic for a little over 2 years. We found diabetes 1 day after her sixth birthday. She is also on thyroid medication and has arthritis.

Dawn and the girls