Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Founding Moderator

Default Re: Mickey Has diabetes possible Cushings too

Neuropathy is a nerve condition which can affect anyone with diabetes. In dogs and cats, you see it most commonly as weakness of the back legs. It's seen a lot in newly-diagnosed dogs and cats because their bg's are still not controlled.

The good news is that if your pet has neuropathy, most of the time it clears up after he/she gets enough insulin.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Neuropathy

Many dogs have hind leg weakness when they are first diagnosed with diabetes. This is sometimes the symptom which brings the pet to the vet's office. It's often falsely attributed to "getting older" by the caregiver. What is also known as "diabetic neuropathy" most often affects both rear legs and will progress symmetrically. With treatment and regulation, most dogs also have reversal of neuropathy.

This 1983 JAVMA abstract indicates that both the neuropathy and low blood pressure returned to normal following the control of the diabetes with insulin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

Peripheral neuropathy and hypotension in a diabetic dog.
Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association-Nov 1983

Lucky never had neuropathy until we had to go to the pork NPH insulin, no matter how high his bg's were. He was having issues with the protamine suspension of the NPH, which is different from the way Lente works, and with the different preservatives. Phenol and meta-cresol are used as preservatives in NPH insulin, while the Lente type insulins can only use methylparaben; the preservatives used in NPH insulin would destroy the Lente insulin's effectiveness.

So we found out he was doing some more immune-mediated resistance to the protamine (needed more NPH than Lente to keep his bg's under control), and that he had issues with the NPH preservatives.

He had no problems when he was using the old Lilly pork Lente insulin and the problems created for him by the pork NPH were gone within 2 weeks of our getting the Caninsulin/Vetsulin.

He was totally back to normal again, just as it sounds like Mickey's doing!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 PM

Glad to hear Mickey is doing better! !!!

yeah Mickey -- yap it up!

It took awhile for Apollos hair to get a nice texture -- but it came back

Careful about too much weight gain....

Debbie and Apollo
Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 PM

We are..he gets cooked white meat chicken w brown rice and green beans ( he loves that) // Cesar dog food ( it has 0 sugar and is low fat) and he gets a bit of white meat turkey treat after each shot, so we are watching his diet carefully, and believe me it isnt easy with 6 other furbabies in the house, we have to watch that Mickey doesnt "sneak" a bite out of the other pups bowls..and we have to put them up as soon as they are done eating...we even feed a couple of the dogs in seperate rooms to be able to get a tighter handle on who's eating what. Mickey gets fed first by himself in the small downstairs bathroom, he gets his shot then his treat, while Im feeding the other dogs, my husband or my son keeps Mickey occupied so he doesnt feel "left out" of the other dogs feeding time.. after they are all fed, we let them out in the yard ( its fenced in) so they can do some quick business and Mickey can run around and get some exercise which since the insulin he now does! We have a system here now that one of our babies has a life long illness, we are full time mommy and daddy to our pups.. ( I dont work ) so this is my "job" now, but I love them all and its worth it.

PS.. You can see some of my other babies here.... http://www.mydogspace.com/me/DoriLuvsDogs

Last edited by Mickey'sMom; 07-08-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:18 PM

Love the system!

Nice to know I am not the only one with OCD when it comes to the pup.

We have 2 dogs -- Apollo and a Maltese (Atlas)
Atlas has been great about leaving Apollos dish alone ---
now Apollo would love to grab Atlas's!
We stand between the bowls

We have a schedule -- we are also now retired -
5AM potty and Denosyl
6AM food (with Potassium Citrate - he had bladder stones) and shot;
10 AM small feeding,
2 PM small feeding,
6 PM Food (with Milk Thistle) and shot;
9:30 small feeding.
9:35PM BED!

tomorrow we are heading to Ohio to see the kids and grandkids --
lots of activity! I am prepared and packed!

Debbie and Apollo
Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:20 PM

I never knew there was a My Pet Space Page! cool!
your babies are adorable!

After we get back I'll try and get a page started.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:33 PM

Not wanting to sound dumb but what is OCD?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Did you ever see the show "Monk" ?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM

ahhhhh..NOW I remember!! lol
Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Founding Member

I loved looking at the picture and reading the bio of each dog. You have a very beautiful family. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Dawn and the girls
Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Thank you,,There is no picture for our Molly..they only allow 6 dog profiles on each name...we have 7 dogs....lol