Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Mickey Has diabetes possible Cushings too

Mickey's even cuter in a little larger version of his picture! What a sweet face.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 AM

Thank You, he is a cutie pie..We love all our furbabies..each one has a different personality it amazes me how well they all get along..guess its the pack thing
Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 PM

Mickey is back from the vet...his weight hasnt gone up or down,,he has maintained a 16.3 lb weight for a couple of weeks,, his BG was 240...the hair loss has slowed down, so has his drinking and peeing. which has gone WAY down...He still has a big appetite,,but Mickey always did, so that is nothing out of the ordinary. The Vet is very pleased!! I am still concerned about the possible Cushings, but my vet said today that we wont even address that issue unless his drinking and peeing goes back up even with controlled BG. She said if he is cushoid its mild right now considering all his symptoms are improving so well with just insulin.. She said there is no use treating Cushings in a dog with so few symptoms at this point, but we will always watch for it in the future, she told us to test Mickeys BG at home if we want, but she suggested since he is doing so well,, to only check him a couple of times a week..she says there is really no use in checking him multiple times daily and to put him through all the poking all the time.. She said to relax and test him when we think something might be up or to just to keep a closer eye on him. Mickey is back to his "old self" so we will take her advice.. poking him twice a day and a couple of times a week with the meter should suffice.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Question for some of the Cushings experienced in here. When I took Mickey to the Vet last week, There was a Lady in there with a 12 yr old Boston...the dog has Cushings ands was just diagnosed. The owner told me that she and the vet opted not to treat the Cushings because her peeing and drinking isnt too bad and her wetting the house is rare. She told me at 12 yrs of age, she opted with my vet not to put the dog through all the drugs and tests because of her advanced years. She is opting to let her baby be as comfortable as possible until she sees that she is suffering. I did not know what to say..She asked me about Mickey, because his coat is thin in spots, I told her Mickey has diabetes and gets 6 units of insulin 2x's a day and seems to be doing a lot better, he is acting like a pup again, I also told her he could possibly have onset Cushings but we are waiting to see more severe symptoms before giving any Cushings treatment, she asked how old Mickey was, I told her 6 next month, And she said VERY STRONGLY to me, Well he looks real happy... if he does have Cushings why dont you just let him live as long as he will with just treating his diabetes.. and not torture him with all those Cushings chemo drugs and tests? She said it is cruel to put them all through that just to keep them with us a while longer, That it is selfish..To tell you the truth I was rather thrown back by it. I asked my Vet about it when it was Mickeys turn to be seen, she just said that treating Cushings is the owners option, some do ,and some opt to let the dog live with it until they are not longer happy, she said the drugs can change the quality of life drastically and some owners do think its cruel. She told me that she thinks if Mickey has Cushings. he would handle treatment well. She said she would treat Mickey with trilostane and not lysodren because with 7 dogs, keeping track of water comsumption and the loading would be much more difficult....The bottom line here is, I feel totally upset about my conversation with that lady with the Boston, is treating a Cush dog really worth what they go through?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Founding Member

I don't know what to say. I look at Marianne's Pebbles I think she has a great quality of life. I know pebbles take Trilostan.

I think the lady at the vet was just justifiy what she was doing. If her dog was diabetic would she treat it? Why wouldn't you want to treat a something that is treatable. Did she even try to treat her dog? I know that sounds harsh, but I think how she spoke to you is harsh.

Dawn and the girls
Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM

She opted not to treat because her dog is 12 yrs old. Thats it
Old 07-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Founding Member

I totally disagree with that "lady" at the vets. She can have her opinion but she should keep it to herself!

Buddy was dx with diabetes at age 9 and cushings at age 13. I thought long and hard about treating him because of his age but he was going downhill fast and I decided he deserved a chance. I wouldn't change that decision now even if I could and Buddy has just had his 15th birthday and still doing ok.

I know I would not still have him if I hadn't treated the cushings with trilostane. The good thing about these help sites is that there re a lot of different opinions and good information to help you understand the pros and cons of it all and then ultimately it is your decision (along with your vet) to decide how to proceed.

Jenny & Buddy
Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Founding Moderator

For what it's worth to this discussion, Lucky was 14-15 when he was diagnosed with diabetes. It never occurred to any of us NOT to treat him.

We had questioned more than once if Cushing's might be the cause of his extreme insulin resistance when he was first diagnosed and once again when he was not doing well with anything other than bg control with pork NPH insulin. If Cushing's had been a factor at all, again, there was no question that if it was there, we would have been treating it with whatever treatment may have been the right choice for him.

You may run into some people who think it's cruel to give a dog two shots a day, while none of us here believe that for an instant.

My other thoughts re: the lady you ran into is that none of us have any idea in the world whether or not the untreated Cushing's might bring about diabetes. It's possible because the excess cortisol in the system brings about higher blood glucose levels.

While the beta cells of the pancreas are healthy and reacting normally, the pancreas sends out more insulin to handle the glucose. But it often can be like anything that's overworked in that the continual "push" for more insulin in this situation can "burn out" those pancreatic beta cells which produce insulin.

When that happens, the pancreas can't put out enough insulin to do the job that the excess cortisol has created and you have diabetes which was really caused by Cushing's.

She seemed not to raise an eyebrow about Mickey's getting insulin shots--it's possible that her dog could wind up with both Cushing's and diabetes. Let's all keep good thoughts that the vet can work with this lady and thus show her that Cushing's treatment isn't as horrible as she believes.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Founding Member

Hi I am Pebbles Mommy Marianne. Pebbles is hypothyroid,diabetic and on trilostane for her cushings. She has come a long way from last August. Sometimes people are just plain ignorant. I can look back and honestly say that I did the right thing in treating her rather than having her organs get damaged and shutting down, That is inhumane. I believe to give it 150% and this way when the dog does die than I can say I did everything in my power to have her lead a good quality of life Cushings is a slow progressive disease The trilo is recommended for dogs with many endocrine disorders not because of water consumption and of many dogs but that it is safer for them. I too have 6 dogs ,2 cats.1 bird and the neighbors 19 yr old outside cat named Orfeo! I do water consumption tests on Pebbles maybe 1 x a month to gauge her drinking. Yes it is hard when you have all those dogs but I literally watch for her to get up and put the bowl down for her to drink I do this the same day I do 12hour curves It makes it easier Starting a dog on trilo is easier as you don't have to watch when they are loaded but you do need to watch for other signs such a weakness,inappentance.lethargy and bgs that could go too low. Dogs don't generally die of too high of a bg but do die from too low of one.. Most dogs have a reduction of insulin after the cushings is controlled But not Pebbles She didn't follow the rule She is still on 49 u of Novolin N bid and has never had a decrease!. pebbles quality of life is good She is an old dog 10 1/2 yrs She Has never been real active Kinda lazy. Loves to pee. poop and run back in. All 6 dogs are lounging as I speak It is 100 degrees in Austin. I do exercise Pebbles daily for 15 mns every day This keeps whatever muscle is left in good shape. She has lost quite a bit of muscle tone in the rear and will not regain it. Her hair is coming in clumps and she is battling a bacteria skin infection, But is she happy Yes! Did I do the right thing in treating her Hell ya!! Please don't let this woman irritate you. She is a butt and truly doesn't love her dog
Marianne and Pebbles
Old 07-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Thank you all SO much......We will treat Mickey no matter what he has...as a loving dog owner I could do no less for my little guy,,I just think that lady took me off guard and I hate to admit it, hurt me at a nervous moment, cause I was very concerned about Mickeys thinning hair at the time and his BG level. But Mickey is a happy energenic little dog and when he looks at me with those brown eyes and licks my face, I know I will fight for him until HE wants me to stop..