Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Chris passed away this afternoon...

Oh Natalie I am dreadfully sorry to hear the news about Chris you must be devastated. I've been checking in every day. I just got up and it was the first thing I did - I am crying buckets with you as I type.

I am so sorry Natalie, you were so dedicated to Chris if anyone else had been his owner his life would have been years shorter but you persisted and gave him a wonderful life and looked after his every need.

I know there is a massive hole in your life now, it's a dreadful thing to have to go through.

Chris was a BIG part of our lives too - he has touched all our hearts over the years and he helped many of us get through our issues with our dogs - he will be sorely missed Natalie we'll never forget him..

Please be kind to yourself and I am sending you a big gentle hug ((HUG))

I am so so sorry and am crying with you sweetheart.

Love and hugs Sharon xxxx
Old 08-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Founding Member

Natalie

I so sorry. Word can not express how sorry I am. You gave Chris such a wonderful life. God Speed sweet chris. Hug to you from the girls and me.

Dawn and the girls
Old 08-02-2008, 04:20 AM
Founding Member

Dear Natalie,

I am so very sorry to hear the sad news about your precious boy Chris. I wish there was something I could say to ease the pain and deep sense of loss you are feeling but know there isn't.

You and Chris have been an inspiration to all of us. I know that Chris couldn't of had a better mom. Your love, care and devotion to him went above and beyond and because of you Chris made it through some really hard times. My deepest sympathy to you and Jeff.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Last edited by ladysmom06; 08-02-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Founding Member

Thinking of you and Jeff. I know you are having a tough time. Catch Gus and love up on him! He should love that! : )

Take care Hon.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:12 AM
Founding Member

Natalie, just to let you know that you are in our thoughts. I know it is hard.

Love and hugs, Teresa
Old 08-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Founding Member

Dear Natalie,

I know how hard this is for you - just want you to know I am thinking of you and sending special hugs your way.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Interim CC

Natalie and Jeff,

I am so, so very sorry for your loss. I know that words are meaningless at times like this but please know that my thoughts are with you both. Chris was a lucky boy, indeed, to have such loving parents. He'll be wagging that tail until he can "see" you again.

Glynda
Old 08-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

I don't know what to say or where to start...

First, thank you from the bottom of all of our hearts here for your thoughts, prayers, and kind words. Jeff and I both read through them and took them to heart and felt blessed by the giving. I will write to everyone who emailed...

We knew that Chris was bleeding internally somewhere into the upper GI tract on Wednesday but I think the bleeding started several days before that. His gums were getting paler every day and he was weaker and more lethargic every day. Thursday his stools were extremely black and he was so weak that it took everything he had to make it out to the back yard when he did have to go.

I talked to an ER doc Wednesday night and then Thursday I talked to the oncologist's assistant. We decided we had little to lose by trying some carafate Thursday to stop the bleeding and see how much he could rally. The carafate did make him feel a little better but it wasn't enough to make a serious dent in the anemia or give Chris any quality time.

I can't adequately thank Chris' oncologist, Dr. Melinda Van Vechten.

She was in Friday and had a very full schedule of appointments but she made time for us, allowing us to come in whenever the time was right for us. I could have kissed her for giving Chris a gentle kiss on the forehead and telling him what a good dog he was... it really meant a lot to us to have her there. He was lying on his bed in his car where he'd gone for a hundred hammies in his life and everything smelled familiar. His head dropped softly between his front paws and he was gone.

I didn't think I would want to but I've spent a lot of time looking at pictures and movies of him since then. And it has made me acutely aware of how tired he had been the past month or so, how much he had already started to slip away. I looked at the images of him smiling and the videos of him barking and walking and realized how long it had been since I'd seen that much energy and enthusiasm.

So I know we did the right thing for him.

And now I feel completely without purpose... Every moment of every day revolved around him. No place is right. When we are away, we want to be home and when we're home it's not "home." I think one of the hardest times is walking in the front door and missing his greeting. This has been the longest two days of my life. I'm at loose ends and I just wish I could have him back.

A relatively small Quicktime movie...

http://www.randomfierce.com/Chrismovie.mov

Natalie
Old 08-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Founding Member

I cried reading this and looking at Chris This will be a most difficult time. It is a slow healing process I realize your heart aches and you miss him But you have to keep on telling yourself that Chris was ready. Selfishness didn't get in your way That is a good thing You went well and beyond anyone would do that loves their pet. Pebbles send a big hug and I too!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Founding Moderator

Natalie,

I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel without purpose. My mother needed that same every moment for a long time; when she was gone I was at a loss. Less than a year later, Lucky was dx'd with diabetes and my every waking moment went to him.

My mother has been gone over 6 years; Lucky has been gone over 3. There has never been a day since they've both been gone that I haven't wanted them both back--but I always add to that "but not sick". Not because of the care I had to give them, but because there was simply nothing in this world that could be done for either of them which would have kept them going. Both of them basically had their bodies wear out from age.

Your mind realizes that everything possible has been done--and so does your heart, but realizing that doesn't keep your heart from hurting horribly because they're gone and you miss them desperately.

You and Jeff love Chris enough to do everything you did for him. He had a marvelous quality of life because of you both. Because you both love Chris, you always put his needs first, including Friday afternoon when what he needed was not to suffer.

Be good to yourselves because you both know this is what Chris would want.

Kathy