Vetsulin vs. Novolin N vs. Novolin 70/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetsulin vs. Novolin N vs. Novolin 70/30

So we are going on just about a year with Ace and his EPI/Diabetes and he has been fairly stable (for the most part) with 6 units of Vetsulin twice daily at meals. I've been recently looking at costs and ways to manage his diabetes and found some threads along the way talking about Novlin N but haven't really found a whole lot of discussion pertaining to the 70/30 mixture. In what (I think) i'm reading, the 70/30 a little more closely matches with the profile of vetsulin with a fast acting and longer lasting component. The 'N' is more of a long acting insulin.
    I'm just trying to weigh out some options and my current vet does not have a lot of background in dealing with diabetes. Looking forward to hearing from anyone. THANKS in advance!
    Ace (border collie) was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18 and weighed 24.6 lbs. On 7/28/18, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic. 2 meals per day. 1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, and 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese. 7 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.

Re: Vetsulin vs. Novolin N vs. Novolin 70/30

Most of us who have switched their dogs from Vetsulin to Novolin N have been successful. You can get it at Walmart for about $25 per vial.

I would start your dog with Novolin N, which is an intermediate acting insulin, and see how he adjusts to it. Don’t even worry about Novolin 70/30.

Most dogs wind up on the same dose of Novolin N as they were on with Vetsulin. To be safe, you could start him with one unit less and then do a curve every week until you get him to the proper dose.
    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I still have some time before my schedule winds down enough that I'm able to make a switch. Just wanted to try to gather as much info as I can in the meantime.
      Ace (border collie) was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18 and weighed 24.6 lbs. On 7/28/18, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic. 2 meals per day. 1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, and 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese. 7 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.

Comment

Just a reminder that you would also want to switch syringes. Vetsulin uses U-40 syringes, while Novolin-N uses U-100 syringes. This is another advantage since U-100 syringes are the standard syringe used by most humans and come in various sizes that might be easier on the pup. I believe Walmart sells U-100 syringes $12 for 100. Prescriptions may, or may not be required, depending on your local laws / regulations.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Vetsulin users actually now have a better option with their choice of insulin syringes.
          Advocate has developed a new very thin 31g U-40 syringe. Available also with half unit markings on the barrel.
          They come in either 0.5cc or the 0.3cc.

https://advocatemeters.com/advocate-...-5-16-100-box/

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I've been ordering my syringes from ADW diabetes online. The ones i get also have the 1/2 unit markings. I haven't been able to make the switch over yet due to travel, family visits, and just life in general. Been too hectic to make the switch AND make sure that everything is pretty much stable before making the switch.

Comment

If its working for you and your dog you maybe good to go
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by bpcooper14 View Post
                I've been ordering my syringes from ADW diabetes online. The ones i get also have the 1/2 unit markings. I haven't been able to make the switch over yet due to travel, family visits, and just life in general. Been too hectic to make the switch AND make sure that everything is pretty much stable before making the switch.
                It might be a good idea if you would tell us exactly what syringe you are currently using with your Vetsulin. I’m a worry-wart and believe it’s important to use the correct syringe.

Please remember to get U-100 syringes when you switch to Novolin-N. Using the wrong syringe could result in an insulin overdose. When I switched from Vetsulin to Novolin-N, I donated my leftover U-40 (Vetsulin) syringes to my vet clinic because I wanted them out of the house to prevent any mistake.

Craig
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Does anyone continue to have such wide BG swings on VETSULIN??? I haven't been here for awhile..still up 24/7 worrying about the awful swings with VETSULIN..am still trying after 1.5 years to decide whether to change to Novolin 70/30..If no one has terrible BG swings, then I don't know??? But started thinking...It is thought that a few dogs only need 1 dose/24 hours but most need 2/24hrs...so what if the VETSULIN kicks in sometimes working on 24 hour curve vs 12 hour curve? OR what if the beginning of the vile does not remain the same constituency as at the end of the vile for whatever reason..20 shakes/rolls vs 15, etc.? I almost think I'd rather mix two insulins myself as use to be done with patients in the old days. BTW..because Suzie is so small, I use U-100 =9u rather than U-40= 3.6 units. I hope all of your babies are doing well!!!
                  Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
                  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

do you have any recent complete curves so we can have a look see ?
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                      do you have any recent complete curves so we can have a look see ?
                      The last curve 8/11/was far from the worst but can't upload from pc on this site?..It's on this link at the bottom of the page.Because some am FBG =80 and some =400 I have not been doing alot of curves. If you have time to view Suzie's chart in my signature below, I'd appreciate if any pattern is being observed. We raised her insulin to 9.5 u-U-100/3.8u-U-40 Her health and blood values are fine other than D.M.

Curve ...https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1740071685
                      Chart... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=811447094
                      Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.

Comment

what is ursodio ?

Comment

Ursodiol is Actigall =a normal digestive enzyme already present in body..adding more that may help gallblader/pancreas if sludge is "suspected" after ultrasound..was ordered a year + ago but one of the DVM's said she didn't need it..but kept giving it thinking it couldn't hurt..but AFTER TONIGHT NOTHING MAKES ANY SENSE..will open new vial of Vetsulin, d/c ursodiol and then if no improvement will take her to DVM to see if something wrong...Vetsulin was due to change in 3 days..maybe no good??
                          6p- 520 AT
                          8p-461 AT
                          10p-242 AT and then...
                          12a-354 AT repeat -369[/Petsure strip-288
                          1a-AT 420
                          2a-AT 500
                          2:20 AM..VETSULIN 4u-(U100) 1.6u (U-40) 2pm was an error...sorry

I have never kept Regular insulin...can't get walgreens to answer ..And Walmart closed
                          Last edited by bichons9; 08-21-2019, 10:03 AM. Reason: error

Comment

I understand your frustration . Jesse was similar her first year . She was on vetsulin for maybe 3 weeks and then she went to nph . She would drop like a rock and bounce back up all in a few hours . It was just brutal . I looked at what her biggest problem was which was the big drop after food and insulin and I experimented on reducing that drop which took a long time and allot of trial and error to figure out . What she ended with is numbers that averaged from 100 to 250 for the day and a routine that is quite different than most . I am good with that . She has not been the most consistent dog as far as regulation so I am very happy with where she ended up

Comment

Can you please post when you are feeding and injecting insulin?
                              What food, how much?
                              I.m confused with your post injecting at 2 pm?
                              Most people feed and inject in the am and pm.
                              Thankyou
                              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X