Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bagel - Beagle/Bassett - Lysodren

Hi Sande,

So glad to hear Bagel is doing well on her new regimen!

I wanted to tell you about something I discovered for keeping my dog cool which you might want to try with Bagel- just a couple of days ago a friend lent me a pad called a "Canine Cooler" which she uses for her dog on long car trips when he gets overheated and uncomfortable. Its a pad made of heavy gauge vinyl filled with a kind of gel which absorbs the dog's body heat as they lay on it and keeps them cool. You can cover with a sheet or just use it uncovered.

I put it on the bed for my dog Joe and he flopped right down and zonked out- it was the most restful night of sleep he's had for a long time (me too!) I'm going to look around for it in local pet shops but I'm sure you can get it online. I can vouch for it- it really works (and no, I don't work for the company! )

Best wishes to you & Bagel & and keep cool ,
    Karen & Joe

Comment

Okay that sounds wonderful!! Thanks Karen and I will be loking for that.

We live in the South and it gets really humid in the summer- We will take our best walks in early Am and later evening.

Took the specimen in from her 2 weeks ago UTI and all is clear!! We did the Happydog dance for THAT!

Even though she is only a month into the meds I can already see a change in her belly shape, skin color, and energy levels...The hair is not coming out so much, and it never did get too thin- but I will watch for a fuzzy beagle! Bet that is cute!

Sande

Comment

Hi Sande,

So glad to know Bagel is loaded and doing so well. I know you are relieved that part is over! Hope things go very smooth from now on!

Hugs,
        Leslie and the girls
        "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
        and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Thanks Leslie...

It's just a one day at a time thing isn't it?

I thought one of her eyes looked red last night...and she has always had an allergy time in MAY to the grass and other pollens...

question:
          Now that she is on maintenance dosing, I understand that her stress levels are affected...
          I will have some surgery in June.Just one overnight in the hospital...
          I have a fabulously caring kennel where she has stayed in the past..PRE Cushings...and they are so fond of her....

My son will come home to take me and stay- can't decide if I should put her in the kennel for a little over 24 hours ( I hate the nights when she is there without people to fawn over her) but they are more used to meds than my son is...
          OR let him wing it and assume she is more peaceful at home even with Mom gone for two days and one overnight?

Sande

Comment

Sande, even though you really like your kennel & trust them, it's still not home. If I were in your position, I would let son take care of her at home because it will minimize the change in routine, & thus, minimize the stress. I would leave clear written instructions, including a med schedule with dosages. I think both of them will be fine. I assume your son is pretty dependable overall.

Debbie

Comment

Hi Sande,

If Bagel is like Squirt, she is gonna know something is up, no matter where she stays, and get anxious. I know Squirt would be more at ease in her own environment even with me gone than she would anywhere else, even my brother's, whom she loves to death. Because I know how Squirt would react, I would opt to keep her at home if at all possible. That way I would know she had familiar things around her and a well known safe place to be while mom was gone.

You know Bagel best. You know your son best. You know the kennel under consideration best. I know you will make the right decision for Bagel. You have worked so hard on her behalf all this time, I just can't see you doing any less for her in this circumstance.

I hope this surgery you are facing isn't anything major and that you will recover rapidly and fully. If you need us, we are here for you.

Hugs,
              Leslie and the girls
              "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
              and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Thanks..I kinda was leaning on leaving her here at home and and the neighbors and my son will all be good for her- Just ONE overnight and she loves him! He may have a hard time getting up at her time ..HA We get up at 5:30 most days!
                Thanks for your concern....A stubborn polyp that has to be removed surgically but I am very blessed that it isn't cancerous..
                Will save the kennel for another time. Have any of you boarded your Cushy dogs? Our kennel is very attentive to all the doggies and have always spoiled her- and have offered me a job when I retire!! But I wondered if boarding her a few days sometime would be really hard on her?
                Sande

Comment

Hi Sande,
                  There are also a number of pet sitting services that offer a variety of services, may want to check into that for next time. I know a few out here that provide excellent service. Especially good for special needs dogs. They usually are licensed, bonded and insured.

Not bad mouthing all kennels, I know there are many good ones out there. I did a short internship at one as part of my grooming training. It was not one of the good ones, they, we said all the right things to the customers but the bottom line was no matter what, the pups were only fed in the morning, water was taken away at 5:00pm and they were let out for potty at 6:00pm for the last time. If they didn't eat in the morning, they went hungry. Owner didn't want to wake up to kennels full of poop and pee in the morning. The kennel went unsupervised from 6:00pm till 8:00 am in the morning. Many medication times were delayed or missed entirely. Owner would toss the pill if it was forgotten and time for the next one because the pet owner would know how many pills were left.

So make sure your favorite kennel is all it's advertised to be. There are many good ones but there are some bad ones too.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

I always ask to take a tour of the kennel....some vets do a respectable job of boarding pups as well. The place I have been using recently is a "pet resort" (LOL!) where they all get to frolick during the day...and they have little doggie huts to sleep in...no "big dogs" are allowed tho'...the good thing is that there is an attendant there 24/7. The dogs are never left alone, which makes me feel better.

Jeff

Comment

Sande, I boarded Barkley & Harley together at my vet's, any time I would leave town, over a period of several years. The last time I did this, after B's Cush diagnosis, B got so stressed out, that he ended up with a case of ulcerative gastritis, on multiple meds to get this healed up. What really ticked me off is that I had been calling to check on them every few days, the vet techs did tell me that B had a few problems which the vets felt were stress related, but everything was under control. I asked them more than once, do I need to come home. The answer was always no. When I picked them up, found all of this out, & got sent home with a bag of pills for B, that was the last time any of my dogs have boarded. I found a pet sitter, so they can stay at home since all of this happened.

Debbie

Comment

Thank you all for your candid accounts...HOW AWFUL, John!!

Bagel and my other beagle who lived to be 18 were boarded together at this place I use. They always came home happy and well rested.
                        When Bagel was 4, three disks blew in her back for no reason..and she had back surgery and I slept on the couch above her crate for 30 days!!

A month later, my son and I were fortunate enough to join my NAVY brother in Germany for 10 days at Christmas. We already had the tickets so I boarded her there at this kennel again and they spoiled her so much.

They have three play yards, baby listener devices and their house is through the woods from the kennel. They have cameras all day that project all kennels and the dogs can have 24 hour access to outside if they like. The doggies get office time daily with the owners and they have a vet on call 24/7.
                        She loves them and I know they aren't Mommy, but they are really good to her. The owner is my age and has offered me a job there when I retire from teaching!
                        I just wondered if the stress of being away from me would be bad for her now... I don't go away much- just to visit my brother in TN about twice a year for 4 or 5 days- but this time I am very hesitant.
                        Some things to think about for sure.
                        Sande

Comment

PS our vet is inside a little village township and they don't allow boarding there b/c it is too close to homes. However..I might find one of the techs we love who would pet sit !!

Comment

Hi Sande,

The owner is my age and has offered me a job there when I retire from teaching!
                            If you do decide to take a job there, then is the oppoturnity to take Bagel with you on the job feasible? It would give Bagel a chance to really become familiar with the kennel and all it's going ons. Bagel might consider the kennel a second home? Just a thought on my part.

Harley and Lori

Comment

Hi Sande,
                              Your kennels sounds like one of the good ones and run by compasionate dog lovers. It really makes a difference.
                              John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Unfortunately I can't retire and go work there for another two years...but Bagel does love them there at the kennel and I do trust them...but staying at home in your own place is always better I know!!

Comment

Working...
                                X