Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:33 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Diagnosed today - lots of confusion and questionable veterinary visit/info

Do you have or can you get the latest curve from the vet and post it

2.5 units would be a normal starting dose for your dogs weight so 4 is not unusually high . Actually they say a dog doesnt have insulin resistance until the dose would match their weight which would be 12 units in your pups case

My jesse only gets one meal a day because that lead her to regulation . The only way that could be done was the testing sugar at home .

Its hard to say how your routine works you have no information on blood sugar . You just have symptoms of high sugar and you cant be sure that is the case so your kind of drawing at straws

So post that curve before your raised to 4 units . That may not be a true reflection because he did not receive the snacks throughout the day at the vets office

More than likely the extra food is not helping and could be making things worse with the vicious cycle of high sugar causing the extra food to not even utilized by the body but this is just speculation on my part

Regulation usually is not very difficult if you stick to the program . All the symptoms will lessen and go away . You probably have made this more difficult than it has to be

I remember my vet thought I was cruel testing my jesse on the lip . I thought isnt it more cruel to let my dog suffer from diabetes so I continued what i was doing testing her on the lip and she is still hear after 9.5 years of managing the disease
Jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old Today, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Diagnosed today - lots of confusion and questionable veterinary visit/info

I would go to a 12 hour schedule. The insulin generally lasts 12 hours, give or take, so overnight the insulin probably runs out and morning sugars will be quite high. So you'll always be fighting a bad start to the day.

Extra kibble, which is high carb, is only going to raise the sugar, and the insulin dose is based on working with the meal alone, at least until regulation. Kibble is throwing another factor into the mix. Higher sugar makes them more hungry, it's a vicious circle.
She's going to seem hungry because sugars are high, extra food makes it worse. Give her dehydrated chicken or liver treats once in a while.

The dog's body needs consistency, so getting used to 12 hour periods of insulin and possibly similar fasting sugars and curves will help towards regulation. A curve should represent a typical day of sugar pattern, and that's what an insulin dose is based on. The curve will be typical if the food and insulin is consistent. But extra food is going to make the curve different every day. That's not what you want to base an insulin dose on.

Jessegirl makes good points about testing. For the cost of a vet visit, you can probably buy a meter and strips and test at home. That way you can monitor progress or setbacks.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.