Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Newly Dx: Ruby, my foster rescue Yorkie mix

I was giving her 30 grams of kibble and a teaspoon of white chicken breast (in water) for each meal. I increased to 31 grams last night, which should make VERY little difference. She gets a sliver of chicken as a treat for pottying outside and after bg testing and injection. (There HAS to be some perk for the pricks!) She had a bite of the chicken breast today b4 first test. BG was 253 at 6:30, 348 at 9:10, fasting. Ate full meal. Injection at 9:30. Someone has donated potential treats. The best one seems to be a freeze dried chicken. I'm not familiar with any of the brands. Will attach pic if I can figure out how. I have not given her any of these.

https://naturalpawz.com/products/gra...YaAvOLEALw_wcB

Last edited by MaryLea; 09-24-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Sorry for my confusion, you're adding kibble just to give her more to eat (she's still hungry?) or you were worried her fastings were too low.

As for treats, I use Purebites dehydrated chicken breast, and dehydrated liver. Both are pure protein and shouldn't affect blood sugar.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:24 PM

I'm adding kibble for both reasons, and a third: she is underweight. The "dance" is, of course, to get her bg into an acceptable range while increasing her weight. I know the kibble I am using is not the best for that, but have not done enough research to change it. We reduced her kibble and added chicken to get a better fat/protein ratio, and it has helped. That 151 reading sort of spooked me the other day since we are also 3-4 days into an insulin increase. She's dropped from the 400s into the 200s and 300s, which is good. Evening bg is still in the low 400s. I'm wondering if I should give her a skinny 1.5 Novolin at night and the full dose in the daytime.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Founding Member

Its difficult to draw any conclusion on dosing so early into this .The lower reading can be a bit concerning because it came so fast . Its so easy to go past the dose that is needed

There also can be a honeymoon period where they may produce some of their own insulin and when that ends the need for more insulin may come about

When you add food and remove food adjusting the dose on the fly could affect the bodies ability to adapt to this new reality of injected insulin

Consistency is important especially during the regulation process . It takes time and patience is key

Cute pup you guys will do great together
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 09-24-2019, 02:10 PM

Thanks, Jesse Girl. This must be the only change I make this week because she is scheduled to see the vet next Tuesday, which gives her a week to adjust. She IS feeling better, so that is good to see. She is drinking less than at the first (about three-four weeks ago), and that is also good. She is still hungry, but as we get closer to the 150-250 range most of the time, I hope that will also abate.

She is a senior, about 9 yo, surrendered to our rescue because the owner could not afford surgery and expected medical costs. All of that was before Dx with diabetes, so if she had not been surrendered, she probably would have been put down. She is very sweet, but still fights the bg testing. Takes injections well now. Of course, the chicken treats are a huge factor in that. I'm hoping she will settle down for the bg testing in time. She wiggles so much that I have not tried any location except the inner upper lip. We wrap her in a towel for that. She had a nic on her bum which we are treating with clavamox per the vet. We put Neosporin on it--and she got nippy toward us. It's the only time she's offered to snap at either one of us. We switched to silver colloidal spray which she did not like, either. The swelling is down, so we stopped the extra meds but not the clavamox.