Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

Thank you for the information. I have one more question. It seems like Yukon is drinking more and all of a sudden urinating in the house at night because he has to pee almost every 3 hours.

Does this calm down once the diabetes is regulated? I haven't been getting much sleep lately listening to him go to the water bowl and gauging how much he drinks before I feel he needs to go out. :-(
Old 10-02-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiesMom View Post
Thank you for the information. I have one more question. It seems like Yukon is drinking more and all of a sudden urinating in the house at night because he has to pee almost every 3 hours.

Does this calm down once the diabetes is regulated? I haven't been getting much sleep lately listening to him go to the water bowl and gauging how much he drinks before I feel he needs to go out. :-(
Yes. His diabetic symptoms should get better once his BG approaches the 150-250 range. This chart might help...

Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 10-02-2018, 09:15 AM

Thank you for the chart. It helps greatly. We go tomorrow for the curve test. We are going to stay at the vet the entire day because Yukon has major seperation anxiety.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Thank you for the chart. It helps greatly. We go tomorrow for the curve test. We are going to stay at the vet the entire day because Yukon has major seperation anxiety.
you may want to figure out how to do curves at home in the future because anxiety can skew the results . Usually make the numbers higher than they would be at home
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 10-02-2018, 03:43 PM

That is my plan - to start doing it at home in the near future. I just keep hearing it is going to be very hard for me to manage both the cushings and diabetes.

I have one more question. I was told by the emergency vet that Yukon could have as many green beans as he wanted because they don't raise his sugar levels. I have been trying to find a good "treat" to give in between meals because since he has cushings he is hungrier as well and is constantly begging. Also I am changing his dinner time from 4:45 to 7 which is driving him crazy.

Can anyone confirm that it's ok to have green beans between meals?

Thanks for all the information so far. It has really helped me to start my long journey of managing two diseases at once.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Frozen green beans are a great treat for our diabetic dogs. They have zero effect on my Lily’s BG.

One of the big advantages of home testing is that we can see how exercise, food, treats, medications and anything else effect our dog’s BG.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Interim CC

Quote:
That is my plan - to start doing it at home in the near future. I just keep hearing it is going to be very hard for me to manage both the cushings and diabetes.
Hi again! I just want to try to lessen your anxiety a bit here about the combo of Cushing’s and diabetes. Per the ACTH testing performed last spring, Yukie exhibited elevations in certain adrenal hormones other than cortisol. So per that testing, he was NOT diagnosed with traditional Cushing’s. As far as I know, those other adrenal hormone elevations do not increase glucose levels in the same manner or as significantly that elevated cortisol does. So for the time being, I’d encourage you to put worries about traditional Cushing’s on the back burner. If you end up having a hard time controlling Yukie’s glucose levels down the road, then cortisol retesting may enter the picture once again. But for right now, I really encourage you to try to set the Cushing’s worry aside. Deep breaths, and one step at a time. Traditional Cushing’s may never be an issue for you at all.

Marianne

P.S. Just to clarify, I don’t know for certain that those other hormone elevations don’t interact with glucose levels in some manner. But I think that elevated cortisol has a more definitive impact on increasing glucose levels. But I’ll try to help research possible interactions with those other hormones as well and let you know if I find out anything significant.

Last edited by labblab; 10-02-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Founding Member

we managed cushings and diabetes at the same time for our dog for 3 years. Did we have some scary moments? yes. were there ups and downs? yes

but it is doable. She did not die from cushings or diabetes. Her little body and mind just wore out. During the 3 years she had a lot of happy times chasing squirrels and bossing us around.

Learn what you can, monitor what you can, and try not to obsess too much. for the last year we just focused on whether she was happy. If she was happy, I was happy.

We did wind up monitoring her blood sugar at home (it was very hard for me to get blood) because her blood sugar got scarily low a couple of times

The people on this forum and the cushing forum were invaluable as people in my real life just didn't get it.

hang in there, if I can do it, you can do it! Judi
Old 10-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Thank you all so much for the information about Cushings/Diabetes and the Green Beans.

After staying up all night letting Yukon out because he was drinking so much and had to pee we took him for his Glucose Curve Test this morning.

They did the first blood draw and his Blood Sugar levels is 539 an hour after giving him the insulin.

I am so sad and disappointed. The vet upped his insulin to 5 units from 4 units and wants him to come back in a week for the Curve Test. I am just so afraid that his level won't drop and it will hurt him.

What can I do?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:01 AM

And Judi - thank you so much for your note about your dog. It really made me feel good reading it that there would be some hope for Yukon. We are very diligent in keeping him happy and healthy and will do whatever it takes to achieve this.

I am glad to hear from someone that their dog lived 3 years with both diseases - it gives me some hope.