Hypo through the night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypo through the night

How do you watch for hypo incidents during the night?

My dog's BG at 12 hours post was 6.7. That is the lowest number we've seen since this process started about 6 weeks ago. Last Friday morning he had a reading of 8.8 which had been the lowest that we've recorded until tonight. He ate normally and I gave him his normal amount of insulin (12 units of caninsulin), but now I'm a bit worried. We chart his blood sugar daily right now. There are some days where he drops 4 or 5 points 6 hours post morning insulin, but there have been other days when his starting point is lower and he's actually higher at 6 hours. For instance today, he was 13.9 first thing. He was 20.2 at 6 hours, then we went for a walk. He went to 16.9 at 7 hours, then 14.8 at 8 1/2 hours. Finally 6.7 at 12 hours. Sunday he was 10.2 first thing, then 15 at 6 hours, 13.9 at 7 hours and 11.7 at 12 hours.

Given that it's night time and we will all be sleeping in the next few hours, I'm worried about him dropping too low. Not sure what to do. Anyone else experience this or have some advice?

Re: Hypo through the night

My advice is to give a little honey and then a little food and sleep the night. Sounds like you need to do a curve and rethink your insulin dose.

I did a 24 hr curve on my dog and found that she runs higher at night in general because she's sedentary all night. But if you think a drop will happen I would try to prevent it in advance and then do a curve to work on the dose.
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

my jesse sleeps wright by me i always have the sugar very close on my nightstand if she moves to go sleep out in the living room i wake up

i think knowing she is close to me takes some of the worry out of it but i have become a lighter sleeper since she became diabetic
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I'm an over corrected. Jenny also raises at night but last night she was 93 before bed so she got some syrup and a carby treat. This morning she was 270. You could set your alarm and check. Until you've tested and have a feel for your dog I'd take preventative measures. But I'm no expert. Jenny is just very forgiving.
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Also, two or three tests over an hour or two would tell you whether the blood sugar is dropping, rising, or staying steady. That would help you figure what's likely to happen later.

Natalie

Comment

Hi there

I know it's a worry but 6.7 isn't too bad. This was before food and insulin I presume? My CJ is also on Caninsulin and I have found the same thing as you with domino. The vet told me if his bg was less than 10 in the morning (fasting no) I should call her as we may need to decrease insulin. Yet his numbers are high during the day. I have been having the same problem cj just seems all over the place but we discovered he has a corneal ulcer and that affects their bg. Maybe there is something going on with Domino?

It does not make sense to me either but they say every dog is different. Sorry I don't have answers but am like you trying to sort out my baby so his numbers are lower and more stable. Maybe talk to your vet?
            Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I stayed up to check him at 11:30pm (4 hrs post) and he was 13.6 so I was able to go to sleep without much worry. He sleeps in our room so he's close. I woke at 1:45am to use the washroom so I checked him and he was 16.3. This morning his reading was 13.4. We weren't able to do a midday check, but his evening check at 12 hrs post was 9.4. I have passed on the infomation to one of the technicians at my vet and am waiting to hear back from the vet herself.

Anne-Marie - Thank you for your post. It's nice to know someone knows what you're going through. I'm glad you mentioned the corneal ulcer because Domino may have that. He had what appeared to be an eye infection last weekend and since the vet wasn't open I read that it is okay to give polysporin drops. I checked with my vet and she said if it looked like it was getting better than to keep doing what I was doing. It does seems like it's improved, but there is still a bit of redness. However, I read about it and it says it's painful and that the dogs often try and rub their eye. Domino's eye doesn't seem to bother him. On onehand it's great to see these low numbers, but also frustrating that it's not consistent.
              Last edited by dominosmom; 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Do you plan to do a curve?
                Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Hi Dominos mum

I agree with Cebe you should try and do a curve so check his bg every 2 hours starting at morning fasting until evening fasting. This will give you a better picture of what's going on. Only do the curve if everything has been the same for the last 3-5 days ie. same amount of food , same. Amt insulin, at the same time , same walks at same time distance. His eye could be affecting his bg levels but I would still do a curve. His numbers don't look bad at all my cj goes much higher .... And lower! When you do the curve post it so the more experienced members can have a look they really are great people and will be Able to help. You are doing great! It takes time and patience but you will get there.
                  Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. It's been a crazy few days so I haven't been able to get on here.

I did a curve 2 weeks ago after he had been on 12 units (2X a day) for 2 weeks. It's posted in my other thread.

Based on the curve, my vet wanted me to go to 13 units starting on Monday, October 1 which would have been 3 weeks at 12 units. The morning of Friday, Sept. 28th, his reading was 8.8, 12 hrs past last dose. I called my vet and she said not to increase. I did a partial curve on the Sunday.

7:30am - 10.2
                    1:30pm - 15
                    2:30pm - 13.9
                    4:30pm - 18
                    7:30pm - 11.7

His first morning readings for the last four days have all been in the 13's and today was 12.4. Last nights post 12 hr reading was 7.2.

Today I did another partial curve.

7:30am - 12.4
                    1:30pm - 13.6
                    3:30pm - 9.4
                    5:30pm - 8.5
                    7:30pm - 12.6

He's been on 12 units now for 4 weeks. Everything has been the same, but the walks. Unfortunately they are not at the same time. We could probably arrange it, but it would need to be a Fri, Sat and Sun. I'm no vet, but the numbers are looking good to me.

Comment

i have to agree looks great no big fluctuations

some dogs do better than others during walks just test before and after to get a good idea whats happening and just make a note on how he reacted at that time
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Those numbers look great ! Well done Domino

Comment

Definitely getting there! I'd do testing before and after walks to be sure and then you could take him at any time because you'd know where he was. I'm lucky that Hank doesn't change with exercise. Good job! Hugs!
                          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Lovely numbers, I wish I could get Yuli some just like them!

Well done.
                            Ann and Yuli - Yuli is 11 yrs and was dx Aug 2012. He lives with 1 other Tibetan Terrier aged 14. Yuli is 39 lb and is on 25 iu Caninsulin x 2. Got his sight back June 19 2014.

Comment

Nice job.......
                              Tara in honor of Ruby.
                              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                              X