Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Daisy's Story

Thanks Craig. Daisy's vet's specialty is endocrinology and she takes a very aggressive approach. I can understand why, especially with Daisy being a schnauzer, but Daisy was regulated on just under 5 units, so I'm very hesitant on going up more than .3 units at a time with her. She responds well, now it's finding the right dosage with the new food.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Sometimes, you might see results when raising insulin at three days but a few days later, many dogs continue to adjust so initially you might see lower numbers but they start going back up again a couple of days later. Dogs typically do better when the dose is allowed to settle for at least five days, and some take up to two weeks. It varies from dog to dog. An exception is if numbers are so high but as Craig said, the increases should be small for little dogs.

The prescription foods sometimes will require more insulin than you previously used. It doesn't really matter as you are working for a balance of food and insulin. I think an aggressive approach is a bit risky - you don't want to pass the right dosage. High blood sugar doesn't have quite as many effects on dogs like it does with humans.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:33 AM

Well we've been up all night drinking and going outside. I don't think 3 units is working for us at all.....

Quote:
The prescription foods sometimes will require more insulin than you previously used. It doesn't really matter as you are working for a balance of food and insulin.
Amy- that's what I was thinking.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:40 AM

The vet called this morning to check up on her. She told me that since she had such a miserable night to put her back to her regular dose and regulate from there. I think that's a good idea because Daisy is drinking like a sailor, peeing like a racehorse and panting.

She was 600 this morning and is laying around looking really pathetic.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Daisy read "HI" on the meter again this evening.

When she was diagnosed in January she was difficult with her insulin and prescription diet, then with different food and insulin she was regulated by March. April and May she did well until she got the UTI, then she was doing better, but by the end of June her numbers started becoming a little erratic. Then in July it was like the perfect storm. A UTI, higher numbers, now she's uncontrolled.

She's not herself. She's laying around and not chasing lizards or squirrels but at least she's eating well and still enjoys going for her walks.

I just don't understand what's happening.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Founding Member

its possible daisy was still producing her own natural insulin ( honeymooning ) and that may give one possible reason she bounced around so much . that honeymoon may have ended

during jesses difficult time we did use r insulin every 6 hours if needed just to keep her a bit comfortable and to buy her some time to figure things out . now we put regulation on hold at that time

the problem is we can test for blood sugar but we cant tell where that sugar comes from

it was very difficult for jesse for a long time for an extended time we were just reactionary but we came up with a routine that finally worked but we were running out of options . i think jesse was one of those worse case scenarios . i dont think daisy is in that boat but understand how you feel
Jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 08-12-2017, 06:35 PM

Quite possible the Glycobalance is higher in carbs than previous food. Many prescription type foods are.
The timing of the new food and the extreme drinking/peeing may indicate a relationship. Seems that if her numbers are that high, you might be safe increasing a full unit.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:44 PM

I just got off the phone with Daisy's vet at 8p. Daisy was panting and lethargic. She told me to give her 3 more units and test her at 10. If she drops too far, give her a little food. I did give her 1/4 unit of R at 6 and at 8 she was at 448 and stopped panting. That's a lot better than 750+. I just couldn't stand by and watch her be miserable when I have the means to make her feel better.

She told me worst case scenario, pancreatic cancer/tumor or she is making antibodies against the insulin but also said she wasn't real worried yet and we'd try and get this figured out.

My memory came back from January and when she was on the RC Glycol, she panted and I couldn't get her numbers down. That's when I started making her dog food and her numbers starting dropping and her curves were looking good. That's also when we switched from Vetsulin to Novolin N.

I was wondering about the honeymooning (I had read Chris's story) and was thinking maybe I needed to start raising her insulin. I really questioned whether or not she was honeymooning because she would drop so low at times out of the blue. I would wonder if her pancreas was putting out a little insulin here and there, explaining the sudden drop. And explaining the 600's out of the blue as well.

Now that she's off the charts maybe the vet is looking in that direction. Yesterday she told me to start her off at 3 units with the new food and regulate from there. Then tonight, she told me that if she's high in the morning, give her 6 units. If she comes down even a little bit, then we're in business.

I'm just praying her numbers are below 600 in the morning.

I read through Gus's story again and what Momofgus went through to get him regulated. It took a lot of time and patience, a lot of sweat and tears.

Jessegirl, thanks, I'm really scared right now but looking at how remarkably you've managed Jesse with all her challenges, I feel as though we'll get through this somehow.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
Quite possible the Glycobalance is higher in carbs than previous food. Many prescription type foods are.
The timing of the new food and the extreme drinking/peeing may indicate a relationship. Seems that if her numbers are that high, you might be safe increasing a full unit.
Yes, I really think you're right. The vet wants me to increase a full 3 units in the morning if she's high again. I'll be home all day and with the numbers she's putting out, I can keep a good eye on her.

This has been one scary couple of days. I think my heart rate has been at 120 since Thursday.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 PM

She's steady going down now, she's at 344. The R has worn off so she's responding to the N.