Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Blood Glucose Testing, Meters, and Urine Testing

Blood Glucose Testing, Meters, and Urine Testing How to test, where to test, curves, meters that have a good track record with dogs...

Old 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Advocate PetTest meter

I did 3 comparisons today and the results are pretty much the same and not a whole lot of difference. I have a new full bottle of strips on the way and will start to use the Advocate for most of my testing to save money unless I have an issue where I'm not comfortable with the level of readings, now that I feel I have a pretty good idea of how close this is running for my pup. I will save my AlphaTrak strips/meter for when I have a problem or to spot check.

478 AT 452 AD Diff = 26
388 AT 379 AD Diff = 9
359 AT 376 AD Diff = 17 (AD higher this time, same time of day as the other comparison when it was higher)

JayCapz, did you use the same blood droplet for your comparison tests? If you didn't, that might make a difference.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 06-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Annie was so excited today, her new meter arrived!

Just did one blood test comparison between the AlphaTrak-2 and Advocate, and a test with both meters using the control solution that came with the Advocate (imitation blood?).

Real Annie blood, 4:00pm
AlphaTrak-2 = 123
Advocate. = 129

Second Annie test, 6:30pm
AlphaTrak-2 = 166
Advocate. = 157

Third Annie test, 6:30am
AlphaTrak-2 = 291
Advocate = 309

Advocate Control solution
AlphaTrak-2 = 77
Advocate = 86

Guess I now need to give Annie a big snack to get her blood glucose into the 300s and see if the two meters remain close to each other at higher numbers.

Craig
Old 06-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Every now and then we have found that a dog and a specific brand of meter don't get on well. So if a second PetTest is no better, that could be the case.

The various brands of meters use slightly different methods for calculating the blood sugar and it seems some dogs' blood is different than others. Same for people. A few human diabetics I've known found that some brands of meters worked much better for them than others.

Keep in mind, too, all - every meter reading is a "calculation" - it's not a simple counting of glucose molecules in the sample. So AlphaTrak and all other meters ultimately are only estimating your dog's blood sugar.

I know in the early years of AlphaTrak, for example, some folks with diabetic cats found that the readings were too low. The companies run numerous tests of dogs' and cats' blood sugar to come up with the algorithm in the meter that calculates the blood sugar reading based on the sample. Great tool - so much better than anything we had before for cats and dogs - but still just a tool that estimates.

Which is fine - it's ranges and trends that matter, not individual readings.

Natalie
Old 07-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofGus View Post
and it's much easier to get the blood onto the little test strip than the Alphatrak.
. I've only used my PetTest 4-5 times because I had a container of AlphaTrak strips that were about to reach the expiry date that I wanted to use. I posted the results earlier. Will start using the PetTest next week for more routine testing after using up these older AlphaTrak strips (will still have 2 fresh containers of AlphaTrak strips).

I actually dislike the size / shape of the PetTest meter (too "boxy"). The length of the test strip is very short, and only sticks out a little from the end of the meter. I find myself needing to twist my hand to get the test strip to the blood droplet. I'm sure I'll get use to the shape of the PetTest meter after a bit of use.

Craig
Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 AM

I agree with you Craig in the meter being too boxy, and it's heavier (because of the batteries, I think). But, I don't seem to have trouble holding it to get the blood on there. I've been having trouble seeing the little point on the alphatrak stick to get the blood on there. Guess my eyes aren't what they used to be. I'm not stopping use of my Alphatrak all together, but at least I feel I have a fairly good alternative now and will be able to save a little bit of money on the strips and still know how my little guy is doing.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 07-04-2016, 06:26 PM

Thumbs up Re: Advocate PetTest meter

I put both meters to use for the 1st time and in the morning this is what I got:

AT 239
AP 367

then 12 hours later

AT 143
AP 141

perhaps it needs to be used more than once to "get calibrated?"

the strip is a lot easier to aim towards the blood than the pointy little tips of the AT, i think this pettest is a keeper!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:56 AM

Alright guys I am back.

So here is the update, if you remember I posted the meter was all over the map. Well, I think that meter was broken. I spoke with a rep at the company, funny the person who called me was a don p.epin. The irony, a man who was found guilty of millions in scamming on diabetic supplies within the same state shares the 'same name'. Anyway, that is not the point. He was very nice and helpful, he called me after hours since I could not accomodate a call while at work. He shipped the new meter, and the results are much better after several tests. So now I can offer my more accurate opinion of the product. First the test results:

A=Alphatrak, PT=Pet Test
A=81, PT=84
A=221, PT=234
A=108, PT=112
A=91, PT=99

I would say the results are nearly spot on, average variation was less than 5%. I'd say that is pretty good, you will also notice the pet test always comes in a few points higher (never lower so far).

As for the product itself, with the strips being 40-50% cheaper I'd say that will really help the wallet. As for the size, I agree this unit is much heavier and much bulkier. I am sure they will have a smaller revision of this unit in the future. The strips do take blood in easily, but feels like it requires slightly more than the alphatrak and freestyle strips. The counter is nice, but makes you wonder why is it always 5 seconds? Why does the alpha take longer? How does it decipher lower and longer in the same time frame? I guess who cares, right? I do find it more difficult to hold when taking the blood compared to the smaller units, I have messed up a couple of times but its just because I am used to the smaller unit. Also, not fond of the cheap feel of the button on the front. I feel its a pain, setting it up was not fun.

So overall, if I had to rate it on a 1-5 scale. I would give it a 4 out of 5. I think if a few more folks chime in, this unit is definitely front page worthy.

What I am curious to see:

1. How well the unit holds up with heavy use?
2. Will the strips hold in cost, or will they jump as popularity grows?
3. Will they create a more user friendly version that is lighter?
4. Will they provide the free software to go with this unit, as promised.
Jude - Rescue // Doxie, Chihuahua, Hound Mix // Born ~4/2009 // Diagnosed at 6 yrs with diabetes // 28lbs, 9.5u Novilin N Morning & Night, 1/4 cup Glycobalance Royal Canin Dry w/ 1/4 Blue Buffalo Canned 2X's daily // Ocu-Glo 1x's Daily // Hypothyroid diagnosed at 7 years, 0.2 mg Levothyroxine 2X's Daily
Old 09-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default Forum reports on pet meters

Collecting various posts.