Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Andy, the Wonder Wiener

Anne,
Just curious, what was the dosing for the last Baytril treatment?

I ask because during one of Ali's UTIs a former vet put her on too low a dose of Baytril and she wound up with another infection. I didn't know better at the time.

Baytril dosing is typically 5mg/kg of dog for a UTI (I don't know if this is different for different kinds of infection). Ali was 47.5lbs at the time and should have been getting at least 107.9mg. She was only on 68mg 1x/day. Very frustrating.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...
Patty
Old 06-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Gosh Kathy, that is just scary.

His Vet did put him on two meds at once. An antibiotic and an anti-fungal and she did say he might be on them for months.

So now, if he does still have a bacterial infection, it could be resistant at least to the meds he was taking.

Interesting but not encouraging.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 PM

Patty, Andy was on 50mg once a day. He weighs 19lbs....gosh now I need to do the metric system...LOL

Ok got it, 8.6kg X 5mg = 43 ...so he was covered at 50mg.

Last edited by forloveofandy; 06-14-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:57 AM

Ok kids, I took Andy off the Temaril-P. After a full 48 hours taking it he was only worse and his BG's were very hard to control even with extra R.

I gave him a Baytril and within 12 hours of taking it he has huge improvement. His nose is almost dry and he is breathing again. The only thing going on is some minor reverse sneezing. I just gave him the second one this morning.

His culture will not come back until Tuesday. We will see then if we need to change to another antibiotic. In the meantime, the Baytril is at least knocking it down.

Will keep you posted.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Default Culture is Back

News is not so good.

The Culture came back positive for Pastoreli (sp?).
This bacteria does respond to Baytril and that is why he had drastic improvement when I gave him the Baytril. There is another bacteria also and right now I do not have the name of it.

The Vet consulted with his internist and they want him to be on these three meds:
• Ciprofloxacin
• Metronidazole (corrected the spelling)
• Ursadiol
Anti-bacterials and a med to support his liver.

His internist thinks it is really important for him to have a liver biopsy because he has “mixed inflamation” and she does not think this is just because of the diabetes.

The possibility is that he had Chronic Active Hepatitis or Infectious Hepatitis.

She is going to work up an estimate for the biopsy but I told her it will not be for a while. We will give the meds and supplements and test again in a few weeks to see what the liver is doing first. Also we have spent all we can for now.

Will write more later tonight and hopefully have the lab reports and correct spellings.

Last edited by forloveofandy; 06-17-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Holy moo cow, dogs can get hepatitis? I didn't know that. Geeze for a little dog he's sure been knocked around.

Ciprofloxacin is heavy stuff. Works great but very powerful.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

I'm glad it's susceptible to the Baytril! There are getting to be some scary bugs out there. Metronidazole probably is the second one - that is Flagyl.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Nat your right it is Metronidazole.

Snow I was shocked dogs could get diabetes.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forloveofandy View Post
Snow I was shocked dogs could get diabetes.

Me too I thought it was rare in dogs The poor vet, I just said the same thing about a dozen times on the phone "what do you mean he has diabetes? how could he have diabetes?" LOL poor thing!

I knew cats got it, I had a cat who had type 2 and did the spontaneous pancreas re-boot after 2 years. I thought maybe something like that would happen for dogs. I know better now.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:45 PM

Just to report in that Andy is now on all three meds and doing very well. His BG's are nice and low, nose is all dry and he is running the show again.

I am not sure how long he must stay on these meds but I sure hope this is the cure and the end of the issues for a while.

He will go back in a few weeks to get liver values tested again. At that point we will decide if a liver biopsy is in his future.

I will post an update when we have one.