Oliver the Yorkie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oliver the Yorkie

Hi I’m new here. Just want to say that your forum is amazing and has been so helpful.
    Backstory: Oliver 8 year old Yorkie- 10.6 lbs. Newly diagnosed diabetic after a bout of Pancreatitis 2/6/15.
    He is currently on 3 units of Novolin N, twice a day using Relion U-100 insulin short needles.
    I am currently in the process of trying to get him regulated and home test with the ReliOn Confirm. His last BG curve at the vet was 3/24/15 and they bumped him up from 2 units to 3 units x2/day. They tested my Confirm meter against their AlphaTrac. They only do 3 readings, so I only have 3 to calculate my correlation factor: 251/310 =0.8, 337/236 = 0.7, 216/283 = 0.8 avg =0.77.
    My question is how stable is the correlation for low BG readings?
    I have been in the process of changing over his food from Purina DCO to Orijen Senior ( started 3/19/15 and 90% complete) and from Hill's w/d to Merrick Grain Free Pork (started 3/31/15). He gets 1/4 cup of dry and 2T of wet twice a day ~ 6am/6pm.
    His BG readings are coming down. And I have been getting some low readings. I don't get hung up on numbers because I know this really is just estimations and I just go with his symptoms. For instance he is perfectly fine when his fasting BG is in the low 40's (on the Confirm), but in the 2 instances where he was acting abnormal: 3/31 and 4/2 (wanted to go outside in the middle of the night and eat grass and not wanting to come in) when I took his BG readings they were 25 and 31! I quickly fed him both times but it took a lot of coaxing and special toppers on his food. He wasn't interested until I did and kept want to go back outside.
    On another thread I saw where 40 on the Confirm correlated to 90 on the AlphaTrac, so I'm pretty confident that his 40-50 readings are really 90 and up. But when I convert my low numbers they seem too low. His symptoms weren't that severe. 40/.77 =52, 25/0.77 = 32 and 31/0.77 = 40. So can you use the adjustment factor for low readings? I have never tested one of his low readings against an AlphaTrac.
    Since his new food is lower in carbohydrates I have eased back to 2.5 units for the last 2 injections.
    I hope I gave you enough information and that it makes sense.
    What do you think of his lower BG readings on the ReliOn Confirm?
    Would really appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks- Suzanne

Re: I'm new: Question about Low ReliOn Confirm Readings

I ran a bunch of comparisions between the Confirm and AlphaTrak2 two months ago. Without repeating all the reading pairs, my conversion averaged about .71 for Confirm readings in the low 100s (where I like to stay). If I had Confirm readings in the 60-90 range I'd probably play it safe and use .65. I'm guessing your low readings: 40, 25 and 31 were much lower than your .77 conversion indicated.

You might want to get your own AlphaTrak2. It's been about $55 on Amazon for the past couple of months. This way you can run your own comparisions and not worry that the vet tech did it right

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks so much.
      I was really not wanting to buy the AlphaTrak because of the high price of the test strips, but if I can get my vet to accept my home BG curves then it will be worth it in the long run. Just placed my order for the AlphaTrak2 Kit on Amazon and it was still $55 with free shipping and included 25 test strips, lancets and control solution.
      I have read where people use the Freestyle Lite test strips and they work just fine in the AlphaTrak2 and are much cheaper. Has anyone tried it, and how were the results?
      Thanks again-Suzanne

Comment

Oh my! The lower the range, the closer your confirm is to the real number.

You can use the Freestyle lite strips if I am not mistaken in your alphatrack. Also, you could use the alphatrack for curves and the confirm for your spot checks. Someone else can explain about the freestyle lite strips - I don't use the AT myself.

I think on a dog that small, your vet should do a full 12 hour curve AND only go up in half unit increments. My dog is little so a half unit makes a huge difference.

The vet doesn't have to "accept" anything really - you have to keep your dog safe and alive. Do you know at what point your dog is lowest during the day?
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by Suzanne View Post
          Thanks so much.
          I was really not wanting to buy the AlphaTrak because of the high price of the test strips, but if I can get my vet to accept my home BG curves then it will be worth it in the long run. Just placed my order for the AlphaTrak2 Kit on Amazon and it was still $55 with free shipping and included 25 test strips, lancets and control solution.
          I have read where people use the Freestyle Lite test strips and they work just fine in the AlphaTrak2 and are much cheaper. Has anyone tried it, and how were the results?
          Thanks again-Suzanne
          Hi Suzanne,

Welcome to the forum. I did a comparison between the AT2 and FreeStyle Lite test strips about a year ago. At the time, Lily was experiencing rebound from getting too much insulin, so there is a good range of high and low numbers.

I buy the FreeStyle Lites at Amazon. They are currently selling for $67 for 100 strips.

Best wishes to you and Oliver.

Mike

Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
          Diabetes: Aug 2013
          Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
          Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

His lowest point is his morning fasting BG. He never dips that low even 12 hours after his morning injection before his pm one. Seems like he responds differently at night, but food and dose are the same. Although he does get small grain free training treats for BG testing and bathroom duty during the day so that might be the difference.

I was surprised that they only did 3 BG for the curve, and since they wanted him after his breakfast and insulin it didn't included his fasting. That was his 2nd BG curve at the vet. The first time his regular Dr. wasn't there and even though I brought the ReliOn meter they forgot to use it.
            My regular vet has been very accommodating and helpful. As per usual they did not recommend home testing, but when I did it anyway she was very thankful and appreciative for the extra information. I'm a medical technologist so I am very comfortable and quite capable of doing this myself.
            I was actually giving him 2.5 units prior to his vet BG curve based on what I was seeing at home, but that was before I had the comparison numbers, so he was running a higher BG than I thought.
            I will like having the AphaTrak to double check his low numbers.
            Thanks for your help.
            S

Comment

Thanks, Mike. This is good to know.
              And, thanks for the welcome. In the 2 months that I have been researching this, your forum was by far the most professional and knowledgeable that I found.

Suzanne

Comment

Mike's chart is great! Mike: what code did you use with the FreeStyle Lite strips?

Yes, several of us are using the FreeStyle Lite test strips in the AlphaTrak2 meter. The thing most have discovered is that you can not (in my opinion) use the code number that is printed on the FreeStyle Lite container, that code number would code the test strips for human blood in their human meters. Example: my current container of AlphaTrak2 strips is code 6, the code on the FreeStyle Lite container is code 16, but through a little testing I like to actually set the AlphaTrak2 meter to code 5 when using my current batch of FreeStyle Lite strips. This will make more sense once you get your AlphaTrak2 and test strips.

The AlphaTrak2 meter is sort of old fashioned in that you need to manually set the code, and that may change from box-to-box. Unlike all the newer human meters I've seen that set their code automatically. Again, not a big deal, just something that is sort of unique to the AlphaTrak2 and you will be OK once you look at the instruction sheet.

Let us know when you go to try FreeStyle Lite strips and we will walk you through it (save a few true AlphaTrak2 strips for the comparisons).

Craig
                Last edited by CraigM; 04-04-2015, 07:47 AM.
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

By the way, would you like one of the moderators to change the title of your thread to something like: "Oliver, the Yorkie" or something else? Just post what you would like and we can change it for you.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                    Mike's chart is great! Mike: what code did you use with the FreeStyle Lite strips?

Yes, several of us are using the FreeStyle Lite test strips in the AlphaTrak2 meter. The thing most have discovered is that you can not (in my opinion) use the code number that is printed on the FreeStyle Lite container, that code number would code the test strips for human blood in their human meters. Example: my current container of AlphaTrak2 strips is code 6, the code on the FreeStyle Lite container is code 16, but through a little testing I like to actually set the AlphaTrak2 meter to code 5 when using my current batch of FreeStyle Lite strips. This will make more sense once you get your AlphaTrak2 and test strips.

The AlphaTrak2 meter is sort of old fashioned in that you need to manually set the code, and that may change from box-to-box. Unlike all the newer human meters I've seen that set their code automatically. Again, not a big deal, just something that is sort of unique to the AlphaTrak2 and you will be OK once you look at the instruction sheet.

Let us know when you go to try FreeStyle Lite strips and we will walk you through it (save a few true AlphaTrak2 strips for the comparisons).

Craig
                    Craig... With my current batch of FSLs I'm using code 6 on the AlphaTrak 2 meter. With every new batch I'll test the FSL strips with the AT2 test solution. If the test falls within the 100-185 mg/dL range, I'll leave the meter at code 6.

Mike
                    Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-04-2015, 08:21 AM.
                    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                    Diabetes: Aug 2013
                    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

By the way, would you like one of the moderators to change the title of your thread to something like: "Oliver, the Yorkie" or something else? Just post what you would like and we can change it for you.

Craig
                      I posted it that way because I thought it would be easier when searching for information to know the topic of the thread. I have been trying to find pertinent information that I could use in old post, but there are so many that it is hard to find what I'm looking for when there is not information on the subject line.
                      Is that not right? I'm new to online forums so let me know if I should be doing things differently.
                      BTW - When I went back to Amazon to read over comments on the AT2 kit, it was available on Prime for about $4 more. That wasn't there when I first searched, so my shipping will be about a week. Amazon and their algorithms!
                      I'll keep you posted when I start using the AT2 and when/if I try the Freestyle Lite strips.
                      Thanks for the support!
                      S

Comment

Usually, when people post about their dog, we like to keep everything in one place so down the road when you have a concern or question, everything about your dog is there. Many times, members will be curious about your dog's history and if they can easily look back in your thread and they won't ask you the same questions over and over.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

What Amy said!

Most of us read every new post, so even if you have a new question there would be lots of folks viewing your (Oliver's) thread.

Craig

Comment

What Amy said!

Most of us read every new post, so even if you have a new question there would be lots of folks viewing your (Oliver's) thread.

Craig
                            Sure, then repost it as "Oliver the Yorkie"

Thanks,
                            S

Comment

Oliver the Yorkie

Originally posted by Suzanne View Post
                              Sure, then repost it as "Oliver the Yorkie"

Thanks,
                              S
                              Done!

Guess you could cancel your AlphaTrak2 order, then re-order via Amazon Prime? Not that the extra 2-3 days would mean much

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X