Camellia Camelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camellia Camelo Suerte del Cielo DulcePaws

oh Carol, I just took a look at the picture of your very first meeting...what a beautiful girl she is!

Her coat looks alot like Mildred's littermate, Patsy.

Can't wait to hear the adventures of your new life together.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Carol.

I am so happy for you and I know Camellia has found a great new dog Mummy.

It is exciting for you getting used to Camellia and learning all her wee tricks, and for her to getting to know you

I wish you both lots of happiness, and good health.

Hugs

Marg
      Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Ahh, Margaret; you understand dogs so well. Yes, wee Camellia - not so very wee, as she's "too big" for the breed standard (Havanese) - and that contributed greatly to her being available for me! - has so many of these luverly DOGGY things she does! Lots of them are things Kwali and Kumbi never particularly did, and it's with TOTAL fascination that I watch her!

The woman who sold her to me said Havanese don't dig, but she was referring to digging out under a fence, and I expect she's right about that - but Camellia DOES dig, and that makes me happy. She also lies down with her paws crossed, or one paw tucked under. Kwali and Kumbi didn't cross their paws, but very rarely might tuck one under.

I'm too beat to continue working on Camellia's journal - I keep falling asleep, but will have to note some of the luverly things she's doing. For now, I'll go have a long nap with her - we BOTH really NEED it!

So, back sometime later; not necessarily today!

Hope wee Lucy is doing well, Margaret. I'm watching!

Sat, 21 Aug 2010 13:11:04 (PDT)
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

Re: Camellia Camelo sails off by mistake

i sent the following note to a few friends (the Havanese people, and some un-diabetic buddies), this evening:

*** paste ***

Here are a couple of links where you can check on Camellia's progress, as I update the pages, which I hope to do occasionally.

The journal pages are only barely sketched in, and I hope to add to the ones that are up now - far too tired to do it now.

I won't have that many daily pages, but it's interesting to have them for Camellia's first week with me.

Best start with Camellia ComeDay, here:

http://www.coherentdog.org/camcome.php

and then continue with Camellia's Journals (there's a link at the bottom of the ComeDay page).

In case you get lost, the Journals start here:

http://www.coherentdog.org/camjrn01.php

There's also a Parts List on that first Journals page, as well as the links down the right sides of the pages, under "Latest."

Camellia is currently well-sacked out on Our Bed. She has her legs close to the edge, lying on her side, and her head hanging over the foot of the bed - first time I saw her do that! I think she's not in danger of falling off.

When I get up from the computer chair, she MIGHT follow me! Has been doing so, but less and less easily disturbed. GOOD DOGGIE, Camellia!

Sat, 21 Aug 2010 22:01:59
          Carol and Camellia Camelo Suerte del Cielo DulcePaws
          http://www.coherentdog.org/camcome.php

*** end paste ***

No sooner sent - than Camellia FELL OFF THE BED!

I heard her scrabbling, got up quickly; she was trying to climb back up at the foot of the bed, but didn't have enough solid stuff to hang onto - just loose bedding and mattress, and she had precious little (essentially no) room to maneuver in, as she was caught between a night table and the end of the bed.

I gave her a boost, and got her back up on the bed. Checked her over just generally, though she didn't seem to be hurt, only scared.

She seems fine. I left the room, and she jumped off the bed and followed me.

Now she seems reluctant to get on the bed at all. I'll have to play this by ear; I may invite her up again, then boost her up if/when she comes, but I have her sleep on the INSIDE, against the wall, while I'm on the outside, so she won't fall off. However, SHE will have to be responsible for sleeping up away from the foot of the bed, so as not to fall off there!

Just call this an instance of famous last words!

Camellia has now gone into her crate to nap till I come to bed, which I hope to do shortly, but first, I need to move today's photos from my camera to the computer. I'm taking LOTS of photos!

The links in the note I sent should work for you, my beloved k9diabetes forum buddies, as well as for anyBodyBrain else!

I'm off to do the day's photos - then to bed. Back tomorrow, doG willing and the creek don't rise.

Love, hugs, licks and wags to all forum members - dogs and humans alike.

Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:12:26 (PDT)
          CarolW

Comment

Hard for me to believe it's Tuesday already, which makes this Day 9 for Camellia and me together. Camellia is still startling very easily, so her cortisol levels are still quite high. We need lots more rest (Camellia does, and I do too) before her stress-hormone levels can be expected to drop low enough so she doesn't startle-and-jump, say, at a leaf blowing in the wind. Or at me scuffing a foot for some reason!

I've cut back to one walk a day, to reduce exposure for now.

Feeding at six a.m. and p.m. isn't working so well. Camellia isn't ready to eat at 6 a.m. She seems to manage at 6:45, but I think I'll change to 6:30 a.m. and p.m. and see how that goes, before I give in and do it at 6:45 or 7.

It's SO useful to have a dog on that schedule - necessary type of schedule for diabetes, but dogs who don't have diabetes can benefit also.

It's especially good if you have to give medication that needs to be given with - or without - food! - 12 hours apart!

I'm beginning to feel slightly better, having a bit more rest, but I need so much more, and so does Camellia, so we should continue suiting each other very well!

Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:06:16 (PDT)
            CarolW

Comment

Carol

I've been away and didn't see the post about your new love Camelia!!! She is just adorable and so lucky to have you as her new mommy. You, Kevin and all the folks on this board are so wonderful to look for and love special needs pups. I know you're a match made in 'heaven'

xo

Peggy
              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Oh, Peggy; thanks for your comments! Indeed; I am SO VERY fortunate to have found this dog, of course, with Kwali's and Kumbi's help; ha!

Managed to add a couple of pages to Camellia's journals today; one covering about four days - it can be really hard to keep up with this, and journal pages will become only occasional now.

But I'm really thrilled at how well Camellia is doing, because a dog so easily startled can be difficult to bring along. It seems, though, that the woman who let me have her (well, so she sold her to me, but for a nominal price), must have been right when she said before the traumatic spay experience (23 April 2010), Camellia was a normal Havanese - very friendly, outgoing, and stable.

So she'd had nearly four months of instability - and that's how I managed to get her! She would not, likely, have been available to me otherwise; I can't afford to buy one of these dogs - normally!

It seems our forum members are EXTREMELY lucky people, especially if we keep a weather (and lee) eye out for dogs we want, as Kevin managed, with Ozzi's help, of course, to get Kobi.

And you, surely with Forbin's help, found Toby! I swear, our forum members are DRIVEN! Probably, that's the only way to be, if you truly need another dog!

Please update us on Toby, too! It's been a little while since you posted about him!

Aren't we LUCKY Humans!

Love and hugs,

Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:27:15 (PDT)
                CarolW

Comment

Forgot to add a link to the new journals.

One will do; then use the NEXT button above the top main picture on the page to find the next one.

http://www.coherentdog.org/camjrn09.php

I tell ya, my beloved forum buddies - being here is the greatest place to be, to share not only care for diabetic dogs, but just about anything else concerning caring for - and living with- these fabulous creatures!

And of course, we never, ever, EVER forget those who have preceded us to the Bridge. They surely keep in touch with us; all we have to do is open our hearts to them as we did when they were here on Earth with us.

Hehe!

Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:33:11 (PDT)
                  CarolW

Comment

Hi Carol,

I just finished reading Camellia's daily journal and enjoyed it, along with the pictures, so much. You are doing a wonderful job with her and I know she's going to be very happy with you. I'll be checking back often for new chapters.

Carolyn
                    Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

A quickie update on Camellia and me - we have been given notice to vacate the trailer where I've lived for nearly 10 years - because my landlord needs to move into it, for his health. It's now clear to me he would have given me notice for earlier, but he very kindly refrained, while I nursed Kumbi, and THEN, until I was able to get another dog. That was VERY nice of him!

I have a line on a place, though they weren't planning on permitting a dog; yet appear willing to reconsider. A previous tenant had a dog who howled at two in the morning. Something about separation anxiety - gosh - the dog didn't have somebody home then? Must not have been one of those well-cared-for AND diabetic dogs!

Hope to go view the place sometime between now and Sunday.

I'll keep you posted.

I went for medical insurance, for illness or injury, for Camellia, and chose Trupanion, which has very good features about it, and I could happily recommend the company for North America (Canada and the U.S., which is where they have coverage; don't know if other places).

http://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/

There's a start-up fee, then a five-day wait for injury coverage, and a 30-day wait for illness coverage. I think our 30 days are up as of today, approximately, so we should now be fully covered. I took the zero-deductible, which covers 90% of costs.

So if Camellia were to develop diabetes, my costs would be bearable. They do NOT cover routine care, including dental, so I have to teach Camellia to have her teeth brushed! Haven't tackled that yet, but soon will. I've been changing her food, as she was on Eukanuba Small Bites Adult Maintenance. I don't know WHY Iams insists on using those nasty preservatives, BHA, BHT, and ethoxyquin.

Camellia's current food is one called NOW! - apparently a new company which uses local sources for ingredients. It strikes me as being rather high in protein, and I MIGHT not stay with it; we'll see.

http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=160

I'll let you know if/when we find a place to live!

Camellia sends her love and best wishes to all k9diabetes forum dogs, whether diabetic or not. Oh, to cats, too, though she would be a cat-chaser if off-leash!

Thu, 16 Sep 2010 01:03:50 (PDT)
                      CarolW

Comment

I'm really great about putting my paw in my mouth. There are people who must WORK at two in the morning, away from home! Quite possibly, the owner of the dog I mentioned in my just-previous post wasn't aware he was howling at two in the morning - at least, not at first, but I expect the landlord let the person know.

Separation anxiety requires long and careful work to reduce and then prevent. There are drugs that can help, but they need to be used together with behavior modification, as it's called, desensitizing the dog to being left alone at home.

It'll be a long time before I try to teach that to Camellia, as we need to get her fully comfortable, first, which could easily take a year or two. I AM glad I'm retired, and my time is my own - and Camellia's!

Thu, 16 Sep 2010 01:09:27 (PDT)
                        CarolW

Comment

Hi Carol,

I am sorry to hear that you have to move out of your home after 10 years. You seem to be taking it well, I on the other hand would be a complete mess.

I guess all that matters is that you get a roof over your head and room for your trusty dog then all will work out fine. I wish you success in finding that perfect place soon.

Jenny

Comment

Wow Carol. I too hope you find a nice place very soon. What a difficult situation. Please keep us posted!

Patty
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Well Carol....I've been wondering how you two were making out and now I know!! Wishing you all the best in your hunt for a place to live and hope it's way better than the one you're in!! Wouldn't that be awesome! Glad your present landlord was kind enough to not move you out while you were looking after a diabetic dog and looking for a new one.
                              Lots of prayers coming your way....
                              Jo-Ann

Comment

Hi Carol,

I do hope you get a place soon, what a situation to be in.

Keep us posted

Hugs

Margaret
                                Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X