has anyone tried fibre additives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone tried fibre additives?

I've now read in a few places that foods higher in fibre tend to lead to more stable BG levels ie. no sudden spikes after meals etc. Also they tend to give dog's a feeling of fullness..

On average it appears that most commercial foods have about 6-7% fibre while some like Hills W/D had 16%

We're happy with our home cooked diet which includes vegetables that contain fibre so we don't want to switch to a commercial food but I'm wondering if we should try adding some fibre additives with water to perhaps try and stabilize our dog's BG levels (she tends to spike for 2-3 hours post meals)

On the other hand, I'm worried that any extra fibre additive might give our dog a stool that's too hard or too soft (right now with our home cooked diet the stool is always solid and regular)
    Jessy - 12 y.o. 70lb, intact female, Dalmatian x Boxer.
    Diagnosed March 2012. Started treatment 2 x 18 IU Caninsulin.
    Currently on: Caninsulin 4.5 units morning meal and 6 units evening meal.

Re: has anyone tried fibre additives?

Some people here use canned pumpkin to add extra fiber; it's easily available in North America - it's not pie-filling, but plain canned pumpkin.

Maybe you could try it, though I understand your reluctance. If it's not too close to Jesse's spay-date, it might be worth a try; at most, it might upset the gut at first a bit, so go slow. Maybe there's canned pumpkin where you are?

Wed, 2 May 2012 04:12:36 (PDT)
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

I just started adding a little metamucil to Jenny's home cooked food because I've seen others on here have done it and it is sugar free. It's only been 2 days so no clue how it is affecting her yet but when I compared the fiber from my home cooked stuff to what she used to eat, I needed to increase it.

Jenny is 7 pounds so I'm adding half a teaspoon
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

yeah I meant stuff like metamucil as it's just pure fibre (no extra calories) but I'll look into canned pumpkin, if it's low gi and low on cals it might be the perfect solution to ad some volume to her meals and perhaps stabilize the BG a bit
        Jessy - 12 y.o. 70lb, intact female, Dalmatian x Boxer.
        Diagnosed March 2012. Started treatment 2 x 18 IU Caninsulin.
        Currently on: Caninsulin 4.5 units morning meal and 6 units evening meal.

Comment

Originally posted by delta View Post
          yeah I meant stuff like metamucil as it's just pure fibre (no extra calories) but I'll look into canned pumpkin, if it's low gi and low on cals it might be the perfect solution to ad some volume to her meals and perhaps stabilize the BG a bit
          Pumpkin is a great way to add fiber. I always buy the organic pure pumpkin.
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I used Libby's canned PURE pumpkin with Mildred. Found in most grocery stores in the US.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFYQ8wIwBA

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

What vegetables are you adding?
              When I was looking at low carb dog foods I came across a lot that used potato and then one that used chick peas instead of the potatoes as they wouldn't be broken down as quickly as the potato.
              Unfortunately that food wouldn't have worked for Ruby for other reasons. She did have to go on the one with the potato and it is ok for her. Maybe you could try adding some bean fiber.
              Ruby is also on a high protein diet which I think gives a slower food rises and steadier bgs.

Tara
              Tara in honor of Ruby.
              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Tiggy won't touch pumpkin and won't eat veggies in her meals....but will eat them as treats, go figure
                I add 1 tsp of metamucil to each of her meals. It does seem to work at keeping her fuller and her BG is pretty level. No problem with her stools and it seems to have helped with her anal glands ( they don't get as full as they used to)

Sandy

Comment

I use one teaspoon of metamucil with Hank each day since we have vegetable issues. His stool is much better on the meta than off. I've noticed that he seems more stable when he's on it (if he's eating regularly, too).
                  Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

How much pumpkin do you use? Has anyone figured out a way to make pumpkin treats?

Judy (and Sadie)
                    Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

I haven't but newmans organics has pumpkin treats. you can get them at target.
                      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Thanks Peggy!

Judy (and Sadie)
                        Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

I believe they have sweet potato as well. Some dogs can have it others cannot. It never bother forbins glucose.
                          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

we bought the sweet potato treats at a dog health food store. Jenny liked them but that was when her system was wonky so I don't know how they affected her blood sugar.

I'm going to look for the pumpkin ones too. But we are adding metamucil to her food. It has a lovely orange aroma!
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                              But we are adding metamucil to her food. It has a lovely orange aroma!
                              I'm sure you know, but possibly some of the new members aren't aware that some versions of Metamucil has sucrose (sugar) added. Don't know if there is enough to make any difference.

Another thing to keep in mind is, I believe, fiber supplements might affect medicines taken by mouth. Don't know if true, or by how much.
                              http://fdb.rxlist.com/drugs/drug-137...+Oral&source=0

I'm not currently using Metamucil, or Benefiber, for Annie.

I am taking the generic version found at Target / Walmart myself. The plain Benefiber style mixes completely in coffee, whereas the Metamucil style turns to a "jelly" in hot coffee. I don't know which brand / style is best, so I take the Benefiber style in my morning and evening coffee; the Metamucil style mid-day in a glass of water. Good stuff for "old guys".
                              Last edited by CraigM; 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM.
                              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
                              X