Nina and Henry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nina and Henry

Hi, My name is Nina and my sweet dog Henry was just diagnosed with diabetes a week ago. He seems to being responding well to the insulin, but does not like the injections. If my boyfriend is home we can do it together easliy, I hold him and he injects Henry. He has inconsistent work hours however, so I need to be able to do this alone. Where can I get inject ease and can I use it with the vetsulin and how? Please help! And thank you all for being here! I cannot tell you how it made my heart swell to read these posts and know y'all understood what I was going through and loved your pets as much as I love Henry.

Re: Insulin Injector

Welcome Nina!

Before you can use Inject Ease, you need to work out a conversion for the U 40 insulin into the U 100 syringes. Inject Ease doesn't fit U 40 syringes.

If you don't do the conversion, Henry won't be getting the right amount of insulin. It can be done two ways:

http://felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

U 40 insulin to U 100 syringe conversion table

Or multiply the number of units of U 40 insulin by 2.5. Example--You give 4 units of U 40 insulin twice a day, so 4 X 2.5 would work out to 10 units as measured in a U 100 syringe. Would suggest you bookmark the table at the link above and work with it until you feel more comfortable with converting like this.

Here's a link so you can get a better look at the Inject Ease:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_310.htm

But note what's said at the site about using ReliOn (Wal-Mart/Sam's Club) syringes:

"The Inject-Ease is designed to fit most disposable syringes. ReliOn syringes, however, do not work with the Inject-Ease."

http://www.palcolabs.com/section_pro...njectease.html

Here's the product from it's manufacturer's (Palco Labs) website.

They also have a "Where To Buy" on their site too:

http://www.palcolabs.com/section_whe...salesmain.html

And here you see the online pharmacies with their links who sell the Inject Ease. Many people buy their diabetes supplies from Hock's, which is shown on their list:

http://www.hocks.com/

Hock's has been around for a long time, serving the diabetes community with both two and four legs. Know a lot of people who do business with them and have never heard anything but good things about Hock's.

This should get you started--we'll be glad to help if you have any more questions--now please tell us a LOT more about Henry!

Kathy

Comment

Re: Insulin Injector

Thanks so much Kathy! Henry is getting 6 units of vetsulin twice a day so that would be 6x2.5=15 with the u100, yes? Will the inject-ease hurt less? Be as effective? Oh , and since I am new at this would you mind answering one more question? I wanted to make his meals so I was sure he was getting only whole foods and nothing that could hurt him. I have been making him chicken breasts and alternating with mixing them with mushed lentils and or kidney beans that I have simmered in chick broth, and then some green beans and a bit of brown rice. He is 18 pounds and should loose a little bit. I think he needs to be closer to 15 or so. For his after shot treat I give him 2 small pieces of jarlsberg cheese. We are doing further tests this week for Cushings. His urine was negative, but the vet wants a follow up with an ultrasound. I am trying to remain as optimistic as possible - I'd do anything for this dog. My constant companion for nearly all 12 years of his life.
      Last edited by ngarbiras; 06-08-2009, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Re: Nina and Henry

Nina,

You have the math right! If you look a bit further up the Insulin Injector thread, you see that Jenny (Best Buddy) used the Inject Ease most of the time Buddy had diabetes.

Using that should mean less struggling at shot times because you get the device all set up and ready to go, then when you have the spot, just push the button and it gives the insulin injection.

For now, since Henry is a VERY new diagnosis, I'd keep with the foods I am using now unless I see a reason to make changes in them. Every dog doesn't need to be on prescription food to get good control--this depends on the individual dog.

Keep in mind that regulation doesn't start to happen from the time you start using insulin, but it's a process that you start working toward from that point. The time it takes to get there depends on the individual dog.

Since you've only been working at it a week, you may still be seeing higher bg's. They can come from a need for more insulin (which you can't increase at the drop of a hat either)--not necessarily anything to do with the food Henry's presently eating.

We do have people here who's initial diagnoses were diabetes and possible Cushing's. Initally, it can be hard to tell if Cushing's is truly present along with diabetes because the yet to be controlled diabetes can influence some of the testing values which would point to Cushing's if the diabetes wasn't in the picture.

http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/Zwicker/

Canine Hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's), Diabetes Mellitus or Both?
        University of Georgia

For those people, as their dog's bg's became better controlled, it became evident there was only diabetes--no Cushing's. Anna and Autumn are working with this question now--here's their thread:

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951

So I'd say for now--keep doing what you're doing and trying to find a way to make shot time easier for you and Henry!

Kathy

Comment

Hi Nina,

Yes I am the poster girl for the inject ease.

I love the fact that it gave me the confidence in the beginning because I was so scared I would hurt Buddy. The best things about the inject ease is that you get is set for the depth you want the needle to penetrate and then there is no thinking about how hard to push it in because it does that for you. It pushes the needle in much quicker too so maybe that helps as well.

I used it every day until after a few too many drops on the floor it finally wore out after 4 years, then guess what.....I got another one because I loved it so much. Buddy is now gone but I look back and in my opinion it was one of the best things I ever did.

Jenny

Comment

Oh WOW! What a community you have here. I am overwhelmed and grateful more than I can possibly say. By the time I made it to the vet today I was armed with so many questions and felt that I was no longer completely lost at sea, but had been thrown a lovely raft to cling to....you! Henry was born in Queens and I got him when he was just 3 months old. He was tiny and lovely and from the first throw of a ball he was hooked. He lives for ball, well that and belly rubs. But honestly that darn dog would rather play ball than eat a roast chicken! I have traveled a lot for my work and Henry came with me every where, first plane ride at 8 months old...not a squeak!. And everywhere we went I was told what a marvelous lil fella he was - the perfect gentleman. He has had many trips to the vet - always due to the fact that he, well.... gets into things! We spent the first 8 years of his life in the East Village an artsy, lively, very colorful area in Manhattan. His friends were many and all sizes and temperaments. When we moved to Park Slope Brooklyn almost 4 years ago I thought he'd prefer the quieter "country" life, having his own back yard and all, but Henry is a city dog through and through. Yes, give him a wide open field to chase tennis balls, or a crystal cool lake to jump in or the trails of Bear Mountain to run over hill and dale and that darn dog will go, go, go and not want to stop till his legs are giving out. But, first and foremost - Henry loves people. Then 2 years ago almost to the day, Henry got 2 baby brothers. Two brothers from the same litter, Chihuahua-jack russells! or jack-hua-huas as my boyfriend Adam calls them. I "inherited" them from my younger sister Ami. She wanted a dog, and wound up with two baby brothers, but after 4 months realized two crazed puppies and her hectic work schedule was more than she could handle, so......we got Zephyr. Five weeks later we got Mar and my sister Ami! Mar was sick and was dying and so they came to live at our house so the dog clan could be together and the "adults" could figure out how best to care for the little dog whose liver had stopped working. The short story is - Ami finally went back to her apartment and we got the 3 loveliest, craziest, most beloved creatures I have ever had the honor of knowing. Mar's liver had completely shut down - so much I could say on this, but I'll spare you all the gory details. We worked and worked to make that dog survive. And he did. He lives when they said he wouldn't and he and his brother Zeph the high wire carnival dog have enriched our lives and make Henry grumble and haw and wag his tail ferociously every dang day! So, now we have one tiny dog whose little teeny liver can handle no protein other than egg and in small doses, his brother who poops while his front legs are on the ground and his back legs are either high in the air or up a tree and the incomparable big brother Henry. We are very rich indeed.

Comment

Hi Nina,

I'm on my way out and just wanted to say how happy I am that your little one came through the liver problem! You obviously have taken the very best care of him.

Will read more and write more when I have a chance.

Natalie

Comment

I want to welcome you to our community...we all "get it" here. You don't have to worry that someone is going to think you are crazy for spending so much money, time, and effort on "just a dog". I know you will find all the information and support that you need to help you with Henry's journey...there are a lot of really knowledgeable people here, and they are here to help you. Ricky and I say "Welcome to the club!!"

Teresa and Ricky

Comment

Hi Nina,

I too would like to welcome you and Henry to the forum.

I am fairly new to all this too (Dazzle was diagnosed in Feb) and we are still trying to get her stabilised. She has complications from the fact that her diabetes is as a result of chronic pancreatitis which has just about totally destroyed her pancreas .

It sounds as though Henry and the little dogs couldn't have a better home - I hope Henry will soon start to improve and I know you will get used to all that goes along with having a dog with diabetes.
                  Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

Originally posted by ngarbiras View Post
                    Oh WOW! What a community you have here. I am overwhelmed and grateful more than I can possibly say. By the time I made it to the vet today I was armed with so many questions and felt that I was no longer completely lost at sea, but had been thrown a lovely raft to cling to....you! Henry was born in Queens and I got him when he was just 3 months old. He was tiny and lovely and from the first throw of a ball he was hooked. He lives for ball, well that and belly rubs. But honestly that darn dog would rather play ball than eat a roast chicken! I have traveled a lot for my work and Henry came with me every where, first plane ride at 8 months old...not a squeak!. And everywhere we went I was told what a marvelous lil fella he was - the perfect gentleman. He has had many trips to the vet - always due to the fact that he, well.... gets into things! We spent the first 8 years of his life in the East Village an artsy, lively, very colorful area in Manhattan. His friends were many and all sizes and temperaments. When we moved to Park Slope Brooklyn almost 4 years ago I thought he'd prefer the quieter "country" life, having his own back yard and all, but Henry is a city dog through and through. Yes, give him a wide open field to chase tennis balls, or a crystal cool lake to jump in or the trails of Bear Mountain to run over hill and dale and that darn dog will go, go, go and not want to stop till his legs are giving out. But, first and foremost - Henry loves people. Then 2 years ago almost to the day, Henry got 2 baby brothers. Two brothers from the same litter, Chihuahua-jack russells! or jack-hua-huas as my boyfriend Adam calls them. I "inherited" them from my younger sister Ami. She wanted a dog, and wound up with two baby brothers, but after 4 months realized two crazed puppies and her hectic work schedule was more than she could handle, so......we got Zephyr. Five weeks later we got Mar and my sister Ami! Mar was sick and was dying and so they came to live at our house so the dog clan could be together and the "adults" could figure out how best to care for the little dog whose liver had stopped working. The short story is - Ami finally went back to her apartment and we got the 3 loveliest, craziest, most beloved creatures I have ever had the honor of knowing. Mar's liver had completely shut down - so much I could say on this, but I'll spare you all the gory details. We worked and worked to make that dog survive. And he did. He lives when they said he wouldn't and he and his brother Zeph the high wire carnival dog have enriched our lives and make Henry grumble and haw and wag his tail ferociously every dang day! So, now we have one tiny dog whose little teeny liver can handle no protein other than egg and in small doses, his brother who poops while his front legs are on the ground and his back legs are either high in the air or up a tree and the incomparable big brother Henry. We are very rich indeed.
                    Hi Nina,
                    Just to say welcome you have certainly come to the right place it is a great forum and you will get plenty of support you have got a big heart, I come from Scotland and have a black miniature Schnauzer called Lucy she has been diabetic for 16 months and we are now beginning to get somewhere, after a change of insulin and diet.
                    You will be fine Nina it all takes time and patience.

LOL
                    Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

I was laughing about the poop posture! Our 1.5 year old border collie, who is a rescue who was not given anywhere to relieve himself when he was young, is a long bodied guy who is forever peeing on his front legs! He's such a dork.

Natalie

Comment

Welcome Nina and Henry

Glad you found us, lots of help and support here, you'll feel better when you get your inject eaze.

Dolly & Niki
                        Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

How are you Nina and Henry ?
                          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Working...
                          X