Ideas on how to get nishka to eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on how to get nishka to eat

We finally got Nishka back from the Dr. office and are suppose to be giving her 2 shots daily at 11 units each but we cant get her to eat the food that the Vet told us to buy it is a Hills brand, Prescription diet, W/D Low fat Glucose Management Gastrointestinal Nishka has ae been really picky about her food she has never been regulated we always kept food she ate when she wanted. does any one have any suggestions on how to get her to eat? my wife dumped a little bacon grease just a smidge and she ate but she ate nothing this morning..and we cant get her to even look at food? worried,, what about cooking some hamburger or somthing to add?

Re: Ideas on how to get nishka to eat

What did she eat previously? It may be something she could continue to eat. The prescription food is not a requirement by any means especially if she won't eat it. If it is going to be a battle and you will have to coax her to eat it, find something she likes. I would look for a food with moderate protein, low to moderate fat and low to moderate carbs. Diabetics typically need a carb of some kind to keep their blood sugar steady and so their insulin doesn't get used up too quickly. There are many different types and brands used by people here. I would look for something you can buy locally and if possible, I would avoid most of the grocery store brands. If you have a petco or petsmart or a local independent pet store, you can find tons of choices.

My dog refused the prescription food. I tried everything to make it appetizing but she is quite stubborn. You can try for now to top it with something hopefully rather than bacon grease - I know you were just desperately trying things to get her to eat. You could always go get get some chicken breasts and boil them - use the broth to soak the dry food and top it with the boiled chicken.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

a lot of dogs won't eat the WD. My vet said the most important thing is to get them to eat. period.

Some people put some boiled chicken in with the food.

Otherwise, shoot for low fat high fiber and try other foods. The dogs on this forum eat a zillion different things.

Another starting rule of thumb we use is if they won't eat anything, give about 1/4 of the normal dose. If they eat about half the food give 1/2 and so on.

hang in there. My Jenny has eaten 5 or 6 different things since we started this diabetes treatment. We adjust the insulin accordingly and life goes on.

Judi
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I never fed forbin prescription food. I kept him eating his blue buffalo. It's best to find a food he likes before you get too far into regulating or you'll have to make changes
        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Thank you for responding.. we got some chicken brest and gonna try that, she still has not eatin today, she just lays around dosent wanna move and turns her face at the dog dish. what about just chopping up the chicken and adding the moist food slowly. we were told that she ate the soft food and the vet sold us 12 cans.. ill get to petco and try to investigate. she pants alot as if she has gone on a walk or somthin.. I sure miss the ole her hope things change..

Comment

once blood sugar is better regulated they usually get back to there old self

its hard in the beginning. i barely recognized jesse
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

like Jesse girl said, it should get better. when they feel crummy they are lethargic but when their sugar gets regulated, they are their old selves.

Since Jenny had pancreatitis I've been feeding her chicken and wild rice and green beans cooked in the crock pot. she loves it. so no, I don't think cut up chicken will hurt at all.
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Like yourself i also have a siberian, whom is a picky eater. Mine also does not like the Hills stuff. Cooked chicken and other cooked meats that are warm and fresh seem to satisfy mine when she has a weak appetite. My Siberian seems to like the raw diet the best compared to all the high end dog foods i have tried so im doing a mix of that and some dry food for now.

If there is something else going on, you might want to ask your vet about SQ fluids or an anti nausea medicine to promote eating.

Comment

Ughhhhh!!!!! Just cant get her to eat..... dont understand ever since we took her to the vet she stopped eating. she eats a piece or two of chicken breast and then try to bury it cute but not good. i have tried every thing she shrugs her nose and looks away and pretends that i dont see her.. LOL What can i do.....????

Comment

Have you tried draining the juice from canned tuna packed in water over the food? Crumble pounce cat treats over the food? Mix in non - fat cottage cheese or non fat yogurt? Just tossing out ideas others have recommended over time.

My boy would eat anything that didn't try to eat him first. My non -diabetic boy is selective but that's only because he thinks he's human and that he should be fed accordingly - LOL!

Hoping the appetite returns soon.
                    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Sherry was talking about a medicine she used with Fred for appetite. If I can't find it, I will pm her and get the name of it.

Edited: The drug is mirtezepine.
                      Last edited by amydunn19; 04-04-2014, 06:15 PM.
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I used ground turkey and ground chicken when Josie got home from the hospital - they told me chicken and rice. Then when I introduced food back, I mixed it half and half with the ground stuff. He seemed to like it more than bland chicken breast. Good luck!!!
                        ----------------------------
                        Josie, Pug - 11 years old, diagnosed Feb 2014.
                        (Sister is Bella who has hypothyroidism)

Comment

Could he have an upset tummy? some dogs have taken an antacid type thing. I'm not home but I know the drug they gave Jenny for pancreatitis is the same as one of those that they told me to keep in the house.

drawing a blank. ugh

Comment

#1 Mirtazapine is a prescription medication which has strong appetite stimulating and anti-nausea effects in dogs. I've been taking care of many sick dogs, one of them has an enlarged weak heart plus weaken kidneys that eventually caused him nauseous and refuse to eat. The medication worked wonder.

#2 Give Quaker Life Cereal a try, original flavor. I've also had sick dogs who would not eat anything. Frustrated as I was, I tried everything in the kitchen. And the Quaker Life Cereal is the one and only winner. I don't know the reason. And that dog survived on just the cereal for one and half years till he slowly picked back up the health.
                            Last edited by Nan's Pups; 04-04-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nan's Pups View Post
                              #1 Mirtazapine is a prescription medication which has strong appetite stimulating and anti-nausea effects in dogs. I've been taking care of many sick dogs, one of them has an enlarged weak heart plus weaken kidneys that eventually caused him nauseous and refuse to eat. The medication worked wonder.

#2 Give Quaker Life Cereal a try, original flavor. I've also had sick dogs who would not eat anything. Frustrated as I was, I tried everything in the kitchen. And the Quaker Life Cereal is the one and only winner. I don't know the reason. And that dog survived on just the cereal for one and half years till he slowly picked back up the health.
                              that stuff was amazing i would ask the vet for it..and its pretty cheap to...
                              sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

Working...
                              X