Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 AM

Default Eddie Update 14 yrs old

Okay
Finally time for an Eddie update. Ed has had the best yr. ever since diagnosis, I think and would venture to say that his numbers are consistent enough to be on cruise control. Dx with Kidney issues last yr. this time and really sick we went through a diet change (Homemade) to keep his Phos down and he is doing remarkably well, a tad fragile but well at this point he is managed day to day.
Ed gets half a tab of benazepril a day and the occasional sub q fluids

Eye pressures still down and reduced the number of eye drops down to two- No more eye ulcers since last yr's major upset

Four yrs diabetic in September and 14 yrs old in November. A bit more honery but still as sweet as ever.

Ed's appetite is good, someday better than others just a little prompting.
He has his routine after breakfast into his crate in my home office - after Dinner he is ready to go upstairs - not interested in varying this routine and will raise a little hell if I try and loudly too! (which I love to hear)
Since last yr illness, where I go overnight Ed goes. I haven't been on a plane since that less than 24 hour turn around to get back to him
We stayed downtown at the Hyatt my favorite spot, I had a run so opted to stay downtown.
Road Tripped to San Marcos for a week-end conference.
Road tripped down to Rockport and Port A to go fishing,
Ed is till here, so am I and we take it day to day- I am not as rigid as I was and he knows it, so it's all good- we just keep it moving.
He get's to be Eddie, my sweet little old man.
Ck out the album for a few new pics.
See ya'll Eddie and Jj

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Eddie Update 14 yrs old

a wonderful up date

you have managed things quite well but found balance with eddies unique situation and let him have the life he enjoys . dogs do enjoy routine and structure

i think day to day is the best any of us can do

keep up the good work
Old 12-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Such good news for those of us with elderly dogs!
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 12-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Great report, JJ. Sounds as if you two have it going on for you! Enjoy each other!
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Ed is in good hands - love the update! Congrats on the diabetes and birthday milestones!

Nothing wrong with day to day - every day is a gift for sure! The routine cracks me up - gotta love a spunky dog who knows what he wants.

Here is to many more good times and spunky moments!

ps -LOVE the "Ed on a bed"
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Last edited by momofdecker; 12-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Founding Member

What a great update! I love that he tells you what he wants too! Congrats on the flexibility!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Great Update, JJ ! You do a fabulous job with Eddie! You are two lucky guys to have each other.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:37 AM

Lovely to hear of your Eddie. He sounds a real character!

Our Eddie is a bit bossy too - loves his routine and tells us off if we don't stick to it!

It's nice that you can take Eddie with you when you are away. We will be away for a few days soon and our Eddie always knows when we are going and sulks because he doesn't like it. I write lots of instructions for the Animal Aunt who comes to stay to look after them but I always think that Eddie will pretty much tell her what to do anyway!

Hope your Eddie continues to do well

Antonia and Eddie
Old 12-14-2014, 03:44 AM

Great update. Gotta love those little terriers

Carol & Milo
Old 12-14-2014, 10:04 AM

Love me a Mr Ed update! Glad you both are doing well....savor it!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.