Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

Jim
I can't say....
Spirit, a beautiful name for a beautiful spirit.
So sorry he is gone, but so happy he lived........with you

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 06-18-2016, 04:14 AM

So sorry to hear of your loss. I have been where you are many times and feel your pain. God bless you for taking such loving care of your baby. RIP Spirit and run free.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:42 AM

Oh Jim, I love the tribute. In the picture when he is young, laying on top of you and you have your head back eyes closed I imagine you are soaking him in, thinking of your other Newfy and how good it feels to have the weight of another dog pressed against you.

I remember when Maggie would sometimes lie on top of me how I treasure those physical memories.

I know life is still filled with firsts without Spirit, but I hope the pain is dulled a bit.

Tara
Old 06-19-2016, 01:33 PM

It's been a "very" strange week....I've gone from a strict routine everyday to having no familiar routine at all. The emotions have come in waves and thanks to all of your kind words, thoughts and prayers they have helped carry me when I feel the most lost. I find myself taking the same walks in the morning and evening and they are the toughest but I know I need to continue these for my own health....thanks spirit! This was spirit and my time to talk, laugh and just enjoy the park trails meeting every camper on the way. He brought smiles and laughs from everyone who ran to him for a hug (and a bit of drool). He treated everyone like they were his best friend lifting his nose from the grass and giving each one a "newfie moment".

I remember thinking back when he was first diagnosed over 4-1/2 years ago that this "new" routine was going to be a pain in the ass, I was nervous (ok neurotic) and loaded with fear but little did I know that it was the routine of diabetes that brought me closer to Spirit than any other pet I've ever owned. I know I've said it before but this community saved me in those early days and was always willing to listen and comment on my rants. I thank God for the service that you all do.

To be perfectly honest it was the diabetes that taught me truly how to communicate with my dog. I knew every move, I read his eyes and his posture we truly were in "sync". It also taught me very early on to appreciate every moment with my best friend. Each new day was a blessing and every good "curve" made me happy and we both celebrated.

I received a wonderful comment from a very close friend who knew just how much time and effort I put into my pup when he said..."If I ever come back as a dog, I sure as hell want you as my owner". It was that simple comment that helped me understand the hard decision that every pet owner will eventually have to make. He went on to say that Spirit had a wonderful life, he lived on a beach, traveled the country and was rarely if ever left alone. I knew I had kept my end of the deal when I got Spirit as a pup.

Spirit IS loved and I am grateful for all the lessons he taught me on this journey but the most important thing he did was teach me to live in the moment, slow down and smell the grass, take walks in the rain (we had too sometimes) and no matter what happened he always woke up each day excited about doing our same old routine as if it was the first time we did it.....same park, same beach, same walk done each day with a goofy newfie joy for life in his heart.

Run free my boy, you are and always will be a huge part of me.
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Last edited by jim maceri; 06-19-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:54 PM

Wink Re: Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

Jim,
What beautiful thoughts. I am so lucky to have my Sissy sitting here next to me.
I,so often,will miss a dinner,or not do something because of the time or situation,because of Sissy.NEVER with any thought of regret or inconvenience, but so often with friends or family saying,you miss so much because of a dog.what a shame,you are missing out.
NO, they are missing out on knowing the endless limits of a bond and love most of them will never know and have no way of understanding.
I say,we are all the lucky ones.To know what we know,love how we love and have a bond that will last a lifetime and beyond.
Thank you for your words and love of " a dog"
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Founding Member

yes jim we are devoted to them as they are to us . jesse saved my life as i did for her as i decided to take a healthier trail as to mimic jesse

in a way this disease was a gift from jesse to me a teaching moment i needed to learn about health and to be more than self . i will never be the same and forever grateful for this experience . there is a rainbow in all experiences

i think if spirit could do it all over again he would not change a thing
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 06-21-2016, 10:45 AM

Oh Jim! I am so sorry! In each and every post, it has been very clear of the bond you have shared with Spirit. I agree, this diabetes thing does bring a level of intimacy with our pups that we wouldn't normally know. You certainly had that with Spirit and he with you.
Praying for comfort and peace,
Mel
Old 07-01-2016, 10:10 PM

I've been off the forum for a month and was so saddened to learn of your loss Jim. You are so right about what they and their diabetes taught us. It seems to help me to look at the pre-diabetes days photos, but I still miss him every day.

Take care,
Laura
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 AM

Jim,

Your recent post resonated with me. They will always be our "sweetest pups", and because of diabetes, we do have such a special bond with them, one that we will carry with us forever.

I find myself, when missing Abby, to stop by this forum. I think we all share that bond, and can understand your words, that were written so well.

Take care, and hope your saddens lessens. You know he is lurking around...right in your heart.

Barb
Old 09-06-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
Jim,

Your recent post resonated with me. They will always be our "sweetest pups", and because of diabetes, we do have such a special bond with them, one that we will carry with us forever.

I find myself, when missing Abby, to stop by this forum. I think we all share that bond, and can understand your words, that were written so well.

Take care, and hope your saddens lessens. You know he is lurking around...right in your heart.

Barb
He's never left my side Barb......It will be 3 months on Friday. It's gonna be odd getting in the motorhome and heading south for the winter without my co-pilot.
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.