Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Name: Cocoa
Breed: Chocolate lab
diagnosed: January 29th, 2018
Diet: 4 Health grain free turkey and potato, no treats. If we do give treats its fresh green veggies.
Insulin: vetsulin, was 18 units until this week, but now having severe bouts of hypoglycemia.
Meter: Relion Prime, thinking about getting a alphatrak 2 or a pet test advocate.

Other meds: apoquel every other day for itchy skin ( has been on this for 3 years)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R13sWife View Post
Name: Cocoa
Breed: Chocolate lab
diagnosed: January 29th, 2018
Diet: 4 Health grain free turkey and potato, no treats. If we do give treats its fresh green veggies.
Insulin: vetsulin, was 18 units until this week, but now having severe bouts of hypoglycemia.
Meter: Relion Prime, thinking about getting a alphatrak 2 or a pet test advocate.

Other meds: apoquel every other day for itchy skin ( has been on this for 3 years)
Hi there! we have several things in common: my dog is also a lab (black) on Vetsulin and Apoquel (on a daily basis, though). We use the pettest advocate. We had some issues with hypoglycemia on the first months, but we reduced the dose to 8 units twice a day and now its all under control, but Im not going to lie, it took time.... Anyhow, if you have questions, just ask!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:44 AM

Suzie eats 20g gr beans, 60 g chicken and 30 g partial Rubie Stewbie twice/day. Now, on Vetsulin for trial..I now have 3 AlphaTrak meters ( I do not repeat a suspected error test on same AT meter) and use all AlphaTrak strips backed up for accuracy with Freestyle Lite strips (with AT meter) if error is suspected.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=811447094
Old 04-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Founding Member

Homemade (chicken, mackerel,pinto beans , yams,grinned up vegetables , hard boiled eggs . grinned egg shells and a sprinkle of yeast flakes ) I have added a probiotic . NPH insulin . I add novolog or R as a correction to higher sugar . Meters i use auto code and one touch Verio but i have used many other types and all human . never used a pet meter
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number

Last edited by jesse girl; 04-19-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:36 PM

Daisy 10 y/o mini schnauzer 20lbs

95 grams protein (Chicken/beef)
45 grams chana dal (desi chickpeas)
65 grams green beans
1 tsp pumpkin
Between 10-20 grams kibble, depending on activity and fasting glucose
1 noodle around 11am/pm-12am/pm
1/2 vitamin
1/4 t d-mannose before bedtime

4.5u Novolin N

Advocate PetTest
One Touch Ultra- unistrips are pretty cheap
Alphatrak2 - don't use this too much anymore
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 04-21-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydog10 View Post
Daisy 10 y/o mini schnauzer 20lbs

95 grams protein (Chicken/beef)
45 grams chana dal (desi chickpeas)
65 grams green beans
1 tsp pumpkin
Between 10-20 grams kibble, depending on activity and fasting glucose
1 noodle around 11am/pm-12am/pm
1/2 vitamin
1/4 t d-mannose before bedtime

4.5u Novolin N

Advocate PetTest
One Touch Ultra- unistrips are pretty cheap
Alphatrak2 - don't use this too much anymore
1 noodle around 11am/pm-12am/pm..a pasta noodle?
1/2 vitamin..What type and is this important?
1/4 t d-mannose..Why?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=811447094
Old 04-21-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
1 noodle around 11am/pm-12am/pm..a pasta noodle?
1/2 vitamin..What type and is this important?
1/4 t d-mannose..Why?

Yes, a pasta noodle. The 11-12 noodle is because she needs a carb snack midway through until her next insulin injection. Keeps her fasting nice. If she doesn't get her noodle, her fasting will be in the 4-500's. She gets one Ronzoni brand rotini both day and at night. I use automatic dog food feeders, one in the kitchen for when I'm at work and one on my bed for nighttime. Both feeders have a microphone so you can call your dog in your own voice. The one on my bed, I whisper "Daisy, wake up, time to eat your noodle." hahaha. She sleeps next to the feeder instead of me! The one in the kitchen has a loud human whistle with me yelling "Daisy, come get your noodle!!!" It repeats 3 times which is annoying because she's usually at the feeder and eats her noodle before the voice message comes on (she hears it spinning around) but whatever works.

Vetriscience Canine Plus Senior Multivitamin because I home cook for her and she gets very little kibble. She gets 1/2 tablet per dosage recommendation for her weight. I also give her a little seaweed calcium.

1/4 t d-mannose I give at night. Daisy has a hx of UTI's and studies have shown the d-mannose keeps the bacteria from sticking to the cells in the urinary tract system, so they essentially just pee it out. It has cut down her UTI's quite a bit. The longer the d-mannose is in the bladder, the better it works. It is a form of glucose but is not metabolized very well, so it doesn't affect blood sugar.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 04-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydog10 View Post
Yes, a pasta noodle. The 11-12 noodle is because she needs a carb snack midway through until her next insulin injection. Keeps her fasting nice. If she doesn't get her noodle, her fasting will be in the 4-500's. She gets one Ronzoni brand rotini both day and at night. I use automatic dog food feeders, one in the kitchen for when I'm at work and one on my bed for nighttime. Both feeders have a microphone so you can call your dog in your own voice. The one on my bed, I whisper "Daisy, wake up, time to eat your noodle." hahaha. She sleeps next to the feeder instead of me! The one in the kitchen has a loud human whistle with me yelling "Daisy, come get your noodle!!!" It repeats 3 times which is annoying because she's usually at the feeder and eats her noodle before the voice message comes on (she hears it spinning around) but whatever works.

Vetriscience Canine Plus Senior Multivitamin because I home cook for her and she gets very little kibble. She gets 1/2 tablet per dosage recommendation for her weight. I also give her a little seaweed calcium.

1/4 t d-mannose I give at night. Daisy has a hx of UTI's and studies have shown the d-mannose keeps the bacteria from sticking to the cells in the urinary tract system, so they essentially just pee it out. It has cut down her UTI's quite a bit. The longer the d-mannose is in the bladder, the better it works. It is a form of glucose but is not metabolized very well, so it doesn't affect blood sugar.
I like your routine
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-21-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I like your routine
We're trying to make this fun. I love her so much.

Last edited by Daisydog10; 04-21-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:27 PM

Dog's name, breed: Becky, 10yrs old, Miniature Schnauzer

Dog's weight: 20lbs

Diet: Ruby Stewbie (homemade diabetic dog food) and Royal Canine Glycobalance 2c. per day

Insulin: Vetsulin U40

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 9units 2x a day

Brand of BG meter if home testing: AlphaTRAK