New Min Pin member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Min Pin member

I tried the pad on her front right upper leg. The vet gave me a 28g because she thought maybe the 33 was too thin.

Comment

My vet uses the sides of her paw pads, I don't seem to have any luck there, maybe I will try your method tonight, I just feel so bad that I am hurting her.

Comment

But you did get one reading! So you are getting the hang of it. Just takes practice. When I started I didn't think Annie had any blood, I would have to stick her multiple times and would sometimes just give up! My wife would just walk up and "presto" a big red drop! I still get a "miss" every once in a while.

It will be interesting to know which meter is closer to lab value. I've heard different meters can vary by quite a bit at high numbers, but may be closer in the "normal" 80 - 140 range. A large difference at high numbers isn't as important as we sometimes would think: the difference between 400 and 460 are both too high and would require about the same action.
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Don't know if you've read, or tried this, but maybe if you hold a warm washcloth to the area you want to test for 30 seconds it will get the blood flowing a bit better and closer to the surface. I test Annie on the ear and think by rubbing the area between my thumb and forefinger the friction heat helps (probably doesn't, but it could help?)

We also use even thicker 25 gauge lancets. I couldn't find them locally, had to order from the internet.
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I will try the warm cloth, I have my alarm set for midnight so I don't miss. I HAVE to learn to do this for Violet so I can give her the care that she deserves. It is just so hard because she doesn't understand and her soulful eyes just kill me when I hurt her. The vet gave me some 28g lancets which seem to get the blood flowing, so I will buy more of those Wed.

Comment

With your determination and dedication, you will do fine. Violet is fortunate to have you!

Our vet told us that some of his clients don't test at home at all! They rely on his recommendations based on one reading in his office every week or two. Knowing what I've learned in the last two months, I'd never suggest that.

Hang in there! You'll get the routine down to where you and Violet are comfortable with it.

Mary
              Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
              Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
              Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
              Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Got the BG results from the lab today. It was 365, the vet's AlphaTRAK read 360, mine AlphaTRAK read 306. Big difference, I will try to contact AlphaTRAK to find out what to do. In the mean while if I use a OneTouch UltraMini how accurate will it be for a dog, does anyone know? My vet says a human meter runs higher.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonellen View Post
                  Got the BG results from the lab today. It was 365, the vet's AlphaTRAK read 360, mine AlphaTRAK read 306. Big difference, I will try to contact AlphaTRAK to find out what to do. In the mean while if I use a OneTouch UltraMini how accurate will it be for a dog, does anyone know? My vet says a human meter runs higher.
                  Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the OneTouch. Perhaps someone else will respond.

But what you do know is that when your AlphaTRAK reads about 300, it is about 60 points low. Usually, the lower the reading gets, the closer it is to being accurate. I'd rather have one that reads too low than too high.

And I'd rather use one that I know how far off the reading might be than one I know nothing about. If I were you, I'd use the AlphaTRAK until I had information about the OneTouch. Then again, someone else may have a better idea.

Watch for a response from one of the moderators (Peggy or Patty) or the admin (Natalie, k9diabetes). They have loads of information.

Good luck! We're pulling for you and Violet.
                  Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                  Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                  Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                  Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Thank you I will continue to use the AlphaTRAK hopefully I can get a hold of them and maybe get a replacement. I am going to attempt a 24 hr BG Thurs by myself, the Vet says I need to get one or she will want me to take her to a place that is open 24 hours so they can get one, can't afford that besides I need to be able to do this.

Comment

I agree. Although we would love to have our meters read exactly what the lab machine reads, this doesn't normally happen. Just too much difference in different strips and meters. Heck, bet if you took two readings just a few minutes apart the readings could be 10 - 20 points apart.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a big difference in HIGH numbers isn't all that important. If Violet was 306, or 360 you would take the same action.

Of course, we would hope the difference between your AlphaTrak and the lab values at lower numbers (80 - 140) would be closer!

I BELIEVE generally human meters read lower.

Comment

I've just done a little search (Google is my friend) and found several web sites that discuss accuracy in meters. Here is one that I could basically understand:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_meter

As this article, and others, state the international standard of accuracy is ±20%. So a true reading of 300 could be shown as low as 240, or as high as 360! Yea, not too impressive! Of course, that is suppose to be the furthest off, and I'd think most times the accuracy is much better.

Comment

Thank you for responding, well least now I have a back up meter if I need it. Good to know that the results can be different between meters and the lab.

Comment

I didn't give my OneTouch Ultra Mini enough workout to put it truly to test, but I did NOT like the meter; too hard to read the display (date and time crowded in favor of huge number-display, nor did I like the operation. So I stuck with my very favorite, the OneTouch Ultra2. (The previous model of the same thing, the OneTouch Ultra, was also excellent - I notice some forum member is using the older model, the Ultra - but sorry, forgot who - fairly recent post).

I approve of your continuing with the AlphaTrak for now. If you want to, later, I'd suggest the OneTouch Ultra2 rather than the Mini.

Thu, 30 Dec 2010 04:54:04 (PST)
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by lyonellen View Post
                              Thank you for responding, well least now I have a back up meter if I need it. Good to know that the results can be different between meters and the lab.

If you are able to use the Alpha Trak then that is what I would continue to do.
                              As has already been explained, the acceptable variance can be plus or minus 20%.

For the past 2 years I have used the Alpha Trak with Mildred (before that various human meters) and have done many lab to Alpha Trak comparisons.
                              For us in the lower or low-mid range the readings can be very close. It is in the higher ranges where the point span widens.

We are watching trends, not so much individual readings.

Because I use the Freestyle Lite test strips with my Alpha Trak I have on hand the Freestyle Lite human meter which will use the same test strips should something happen to my Alpha Trak which renders it unusable.

For me, having a different meter that uses a different test strip for my back up meter would mean the expense of having to buy a different test strip...which, once opened, would expire in a period of months. This would just be too much waste for me.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I was able to Abbott Lab who make the AlphaTRAK and they suggested testing with the control solution to be sure the meter is calibrated right, my vet will talk to them on Monday about it. Hopefully I can get it resolved. I also did a BG curve on Violet yesterday and made it to 10pm, at midnight things went down hill big time. I spent half an hour trying to get a BG even ended up in the bathtub, I finally quit at 12:30 I had gone through 4 test strips and a bunch of lancets and I was worried either Violet or my self was going to get her. She struggled with everything she had to prevent me from sticking her, never growled, or barked or bit, just twisted and turned as hard as could. Wasn't worth it to me any longer. Took the curve into the vet today and told her I won't do another 24 hr curve my self again. Violet who has always been loving and just a wonder friend leaves the room if I enter and looks for palaces to hide (there are none!). Vet still thinks the insulin isn't working at night, but wants to give us both a week to recoup. I will have to board her with my vet durning the day and at night with an hospital that is open 24hrs next time we do this. I am home cooking all her meals now and giving her only healthy foods. I did talk to the vet about the longer acting insulin and it is something we will explore at a later date. For now Violet will remain on 6 morn and night. This has been a very upsetting time for the the other dogs as well they can't understand what is going on. I look forward to a day that you all talk about that Violet is regulated and life doesn't seem so over whelming and depressing.

Comment

Working...
                                X