Jesse girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why does jesse need less and less insulin all of a suden

Well I want to give an update on jesse its been tough to regulate jesse it takes multiple shot combinations to keep her in good numbers which is tough during the day during working hours no problem at night so I got and idea from you guys that you could give insulin without food so I thought maybe I could feed her one full meal at night and nothing during the day and the results were amazing. I feed her at 5 pm gave her a combination of 3 shots at 5pm 8 pm and 1 am that gets us through the night with numbers between 120 and 280 sometimes higher sometimes lower then at 7am I give her a shot it can be from a half unit to 1 unit for the day period with no food and her numbers are in normal range all day. .I do use r insulin if she is high and my 1 am shot is 1 unit of r which gets her in the 100s for the day cycle. her shots at 5pm is 2 units 8 pm 4 units and 1 am 1 unit of r this will fluctuate depending on her numbers and r insulin will be suplimented into the routine if she is running high we have done alot of testing no vet help too complicated and to much time evolved for vet to be much help. she is happy and energetic wants food during the day sometimes i will give her a very small treat which does not affect her numbers . shes not perfect but she is in normal numbers 16 hours of the day most of the time just reading the posts can give so many ideas they are endless so never give up. thanks to everyone
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

What an interesting regimen!

I'm glad you were adventurous enough to try insulin with no food as it is sometimes the only way to get insulin into a dog who just won't eat in the morning.

I wonder what it is about dogs and breakfast... I don't think I've ever seen a dog who won't eat dinner. It's always morning that they refuse when they refuse.

I hope that eventually vets will get more comfortable with giving insulin without food when their clients are meticulous home testers who can analyze a problem and carefully experiment. Naturally it's not something everyone can or even should do, but it's a very viable option for people who can be patient and reason things out.

Congratulations to you and Jesse on your creative solution!

Natalie

Comment

thanks Natalie you were on the cutting edge for routines out of the mainstream which can be difficult under a vets care not willing to experiment and really dont have the time for such detailed testing. Your success was my inspiration to not give up and try different alternatives as others on this site seem to be doing with difficult doggies to regulate. I agree with you you must be careful early on she would get pretty low from very small amounts of insulin so extreme testing is a must at the beginning and should be done in most routines if you able I know it was difficult to test at the start but now its a peace of cake. she still has her battles with high numbers at times and I may never know why (lots of theories) but at least for now and always subject to change as you know in good numbers for most of the day
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

So glad you were able to test and experiment with what works for Jesse!
          Congrats,
          Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

thanks patty I appreciate everyones tireless efforts on this forum to give there insight and experience to help others who really need it. there is more information on this forum because of the amount of effort put into it from everyone including long established members to brand new all can contribute and get a consensus on treating this disease and the complications that goes along with it Jesse has epilepsy too she is on rescue remedy and she may have a few seizures a year but you dont know if it is do to a hypo event unless you test or just give sugar to be safe so that can make it very hard . for either one of those deceases 10 years ago a vet would suggest to put the dog asleep for either one of those diseases she also had acute pancreatitis so she has had along road since easter. Ime not sure how long she wants to stay. In the end its not my decision all I can do is give 100 percent effort to her and make sure her life is enjoyable for a beagle that includes sniffing and chasing rabbits . so today she is doing good I dont know about tomorrow I no I have to be flexible and open minded and we will live are lives together for as long as we are allowed.

Comment

well its been a year for jesse since dx she has come along way from near death at the beginning and maybe 6 months ago I did not have much hope

she is doing very well happy and healthy her numbers are under control with some actual flatness starting to appear she finally put on some weight after all this time (I use to call her my super model before )

jesse has been on her routine of one full meal a day and a small snack for 5 months except for a brief return to 2 meals to see if it would work which returned her to erratic numbers again so continued with one meal and has done well

jesse eats 1 cup of lean beef heart processed with green leafy vegetables char. bokchoy.kale turnip greens about 5 percent mixture with beef heart and 1 cup of blue buffalo salmon wilderness. and a biscuit for snack ( still searching for the best snack something thats out of her system quick )

she eats full meal at 6 pm shot 3 units of n 9 pm give second shot 2.5 unit ( helps with duration issues and cant give full shot at one time it has to be spread out a bit also helps if she throws up her food second shot would not be given)

6:30 am 1 hour exercise (walk and chase rabbits) 8 am shot 3/4 unit and carb snack (giving biscuit right now but still experimenting )

4:30 pm 1 hour exercise ( chase rabbits) and the cycle begins again at 6 pm.

my initial goal for jesse was to get good numbers for half a day but she got so much more recieving good numbers for most of the day with some wobbles at times but its like night and day. jesse has had some good results on routines that we developed with some success but never lasting this has worked for an extended period of time with consistent numbers in good range. another bonus is I can skip her second shot if we are going to have a busy day of running around if we want to with not a big impact on her numbers

I am not sure why this works its totally backwards to what has been told maybe it just improves her digestion (2 meals may overlap with each other causing the erratic numbers good for a few days then bad) theres no arguing with her numbers and her health probably better than before her dx

I did introduced fat into her diet with BB wilderness she struggled with low weight and these diet foods just didnt get it so we took a chance because she did have sever pancratitis and low fat is required but we felt that the one meal would give her pancreas a break and maybe it did no flare ups (knock on wood)

so for now she is doing well and hope that continues thanks every one you all gave me a peace to the puzzle to help my jesse and we hope and pray it continues

Comment

Re: Jesse girl

Love Jesse's new avatar pic! Too cute
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

thanks patty it took some time to find the wright picture and getting it from point a to point b

Comment

Beautiful pic and congrats on managing her so well. I have learned so much from reading your post about her care, again congratulations
                    Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Originally posted by jjefferjo View Post
                      Beautiful pic and congrats on managing her so well. I have learned so much from reading your post about her care, again congratulations
                      thanks she was quite a challenge but definitely worth it . as they always say your only given what you can handle .

Comment

I agree!!! And it's so nice to finally see what your baby looks like .
                        Are those california poppies by any chance??

Sandy

Comment

So nice to see your beautiful girl! I don't think anyone else could have had the energy and analytical skills to put together Jesse's unique routine so she can still chase rabbits and be happy. Go Jesse!
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyL View Post
                            I agree!!! And it's so nice to finally see what your baby looks like .
                            Are those california poppies by any chance??

Sandy
                            yes they are sandy its a short lived season in the spring but with just the wright amount of rain they are just spectacular

jesse just enjoys running through them sniffing around like beagles like to do

Comment

beautiful pic and congrats on managing her so well. I have learned so much from reading your post about her care, again congratulations
                              ditto and amen!!!!!
                              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Poodles View Post
                                So nice to see your beautiful girl! I don't think anyone else could have had the energy and analytical skills to put together Jesse's unique routine so she can still chase rabbits and be happy. Go Jesse!
                                oh if it wasnt for the forum jesse may have had little chance with her unique problems the forum was my idea machine

jesse and me are very thankful to have this added time together and your support it does make a huge difference and it takes a special kind of person to provide hope and support to people that really need it desperately

Comment

Working...
                                X