My Cat James - April 1991 to September 29, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Cat James - April 1991 to September 29, 2011

My cat James just came back from an ER vet visit because of crying and drinking - and his BG was in 300s. He just got enema and full blood work on Friday from his regular vet - everything normal. The ER vet thought this was due to stress and that dehydration / drinking was from the enema.
    I will test his BG in a few hours using Harry's AlphaTrak. Could a 20 yo cat just get diabetes overnight???

Re: Possible diabetes for 20 yo cat??

Not sure Yunhee. Praying the bg was elevated due to stress and you'll find it back to normal when you test!
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I just tested him - it came down to 267. For Harry, at least, this AlphaTrak is fairly close to the vet's machine.
      I spoke with the ER vet - he thought that since he came down from 370 to 267 in a few hours, James probably is not diabetic.
      It was harder to draw blood from the cat though - I had to warm it with a hot towel and then use a flashlight to find a tiny blood vessel. James was a trooper.

Comment

Good news. Hoping it come back down into normal range.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Possibly stress. I know my cats get very upset when they have to go to the vet for anything. I hope the numbers stay down for you! Hugs!
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

I'm thinking that it may just be stress related. My cats get very stressed and when it shows by elevated glucose levels my vet isn't normally overly concerned.
            He has said on more than one occasion this happens with stressed cats.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Wow Yunhee - hoping for the best for you!

I just cannot imagine trying to test a cat's bg! You are such a dedicated mom!!!
              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I originally posted about kidneys, but I take it form your other thread that the kidneys are normal.

I don't think he has diabetes. I think, however, his systems are old and they might be slowing down, which can throw everything out of whack.

Pancreatitis?
                Last edited by Cebe; 09-26-2011, 08:44 AM.
                Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

We are checking for pancretitis. He has diabetes - BG at home this morning was 216 and now at the vets 350.
                  When it rains.....

Comment

Cats can get much more of an elevation at the vet than dogs.

The good news, Yunhee, is that many cats' diabetes can be controlled with diet changes and/or a resolution of some pancreatitis. The fact that you caught it quickly is also helpful.

What is his current diet?

Natalie

Comment

He gets Wellness Grain-Free canned food mixed with water, aluminum hydroxide and Miralax.
                      I have not spoke with the vet yet - my husband took him in. The vet said maybe insulin, but she said more supportive care - fluid, painkillers. I also read that I can use some steroids, but not sure given James' age and early stage renal failure as well as diabetes (creatinine now normal due to Azodyl and aluminum hydroxide). We are debating whether to take him to Rohnert Park for CAT scan.
                      He probably has lung cancer, too (redoing x-ray in 3 weeks).
                      He has not eaten since Friday.
                      Last edited by HarrysMom; 09-26-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Yunhee, my diabetic cat was able to be controlled by diet for a period of about 10 months before he required an outside source of insulin.

Are you force feeding since a cat can not go without ingesting food for an extended period.

Wishing the best for your boy...

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

We are going to try appetite stimulant tonight. If that does not work, then we may have to force feed him.
                          We will know better tomorrow as we will get CPLI test as well as fructosamine (apparently useful for cats). The vet also mentioned some granules that could go into the litterbox to see if there is glucose in the urine.
                          The vet was not in a hurry to put James on insulin.
                          If these tests are not conclusive, then we will do an ultrasound. I have a sneaky suspicion that there may be a tumor. That would explain the growth we saw on his lung.
                          I also have an appt with a vet tech tomorrow morning to learn how to do fluids at home. Until James feels better (if he ever does), he will need daily fluids.
                          James is my very first pet as an adult. He has been the definition of a one person cat his entire life. I don't think I will ever develop such close relationships with any cats other than these two as they were there before my husband and the dogs. I took them everywhere globally as I had to move many times because of my job. They were sometimes my only family. I've been lucky to have 20 years with them, but I guess that their time is coming.
                          Even when I was poking at his ears to get blood this morning, he was in my arms cuddling and purring. I am really grateful for his love.

Comment

The granuals are made by Purina called, Glucotest.
                            Just dug an old packet out of my cupboard.

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com...Glucotest.aspx

Some have found that the urine can be collected by using a larger 'sand', something like what is used in a fish tank.

I tested my Bobby (cat) on the paw pad....not ideal but the only place I was able to draw blood.

I will start force feeding if one of my cats goes longer than 24 hours without food.
                            The old 'stand-by', Gerber Stage 2 babyfoods.

FYI, A case (12) bags of lactated ringers can be purchased at Costco for under $25.00, it usually takes a day for them to be in store as they must be ordered, requiring a script from your vet.
                            You will then need to purchase the line and needles separately, from your vet or another source.
                            MUCH less than when bought thru ones vet as most single bags normally cost about this.

There are some great Youtube videos showing how to administer subq's.

Sending positive vibes...
                            Last edited by eileen; 09-26-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Thank you, Eileen. I will pick up some Gerber food at Walgreen's when I pick up James' Mirtazapine.
                              How is Mildred doing? I hope she is faring well against her TCC.
                              Last edited by HarrysMom; 09-26-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X